Staples Twitter: Isles moving morning skates back to Long Island

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Interesting tid-bit:

Charles Wang tried to buy the Eisenhower twin rinks for 15 million. Owners said no and went to auction instead thinking they'd get more. Wang won it for 8 million.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
This isn't the practice though, right? That was already on Long Island.

This is morning skate, which is the game day only pre-game skate. The change is really quite minor.

Staple alluded to this yesterday - do they really need a pregame skate in the morning of a game? He seemed to indicate that teams are starting to move away from them anyway.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Staple alluded to this yesterday - do they really need a pregame skate in the morning of a game? He seemed to indicate that teams are starting to move away from them anyway.

They've been talking about this forever yet most (all?) teams still do it.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
So what is your point?

Are you looking for people to say Brooklyn is a disaster because the morning skate was moved?

No, I don't believe I ever said that. I just thought it was interesting to see how people reacted after defending it months ago while flinging insults around.

Since you're labeling us "pro-Brooklyn" I assume you're "anti-Brooklyn". We prefer to go by "pro-Islanders" for future reference.

Can you tell me what your side stands for and what your side represents?

Well, I'm not really on a side. That's an incorrect inference you've made. I just thought it would be easier to understand, especially with all the courtroom talk that us common folk don't understand.

Well look, the same way posters here blew the morning skate in Brooklyn thing out of of proportion, the same could easily be done with moving the skate back to LI. The fans are likely making a much bigger deal out of these type of changes than the players are. It isn't indicative of anything else except the logistics of the morning skate on game days.

They tried the morning skate in Brooklyn, they decided they didn't like it, so they move it back to Nassau. Ain't no thing.

I don't think the fans are necessarily making a bigger deal out of it. If they just decided to move it after trying it for a couple months, the logical conclusion is that the players didn't like it at all. A decisions like that isn't made this quickly if players were going back and forth with the idea.

I'm really just pointing out to the people who are supporters of the new arena that Brooklyn can have flaws. There were people here defending the idea that this setup would work to the death because it works for the Rangers. They also insulted and shot down every person who disagreed. Well, it obviously didn't work. Whether or not people are making a bigger deal out of it or not is irrelevant. There were obviously concerns with travel by some people in the organization.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Guys should do a morning skate on game days on Long Island, if they want to. It shouldn't be mandatory in any way, I'm sure pro athletes know how to prepare their bodies for games by now. These aren't children, there are adults. (well, some of them :sarcasm:)

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'm really just pointing out to the people who are supporters of the new arena that Brooklyn can have flaws. There were people here defending the idea that this setup would work to the death because it works for the Rangers. They also insulted and shot down every person who disagreed. Well, it obviously didn't work. Whether or not people are making a bigger deal out of it or not is irrelevant. There were obviously concerns with travel by some people in the organization.

The set up would/could work. The Islanders got to the game on time, and have played pretty well at home. Doesn't mean a different set up would work better. For all we know, they may switch back. Or come up with some other alternative. Right now, I'm guessing most (if not all) players live on LI so this new set up might work better. In 3 years that might change and their pre-game ritual may change. Who knows? And for the most part? Who cares? If this works better for them, more power to them. I'm in favor of whatever works best for the team.

Its the first year in Brooklyn. There is obviously going to be a lot of trial and error (as demonstrated also by the Renewal Process on going). Hopefully most of the kinks will be sorted out.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

I don't think has anything to do with the arena itself; again it's more about the commuting logistics on game days. The players still live on LI, so it obviously didn't work out for them. Over the next few years as the roster changes, if more players start to live outside of LI (doesn't necessarily have to be Brooklyn), the morning skates may one day return to Barclays (if they continue to happen at all).

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Its the first year in Brooklyn. There is obviously going to be a lot of trial and error (as demonstrated also by the Renewal Process on going). Hopefully most of the kinks will be sorted out.

And of course, this. This for everything related to the move. I wonder how many things that the Islanders did during their inaugural season carried over from season to season. Sure, many many aspects of the game and game-experience were so different back then. But I'm sure there were many mistakes made in 1972 that were later corrected when it was realized that it wasn't working.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Why wouldn't you be a supporter of the new arena?

I'm not sure. Maybe someone who isn't can answer better than I can. I'm fairly indiffernt to the move. In a perfect world, I'd rather them be on Long Island. But, this isn't a perfect world. So I'm happy they're still around even though I'd prefer the Coliseum.

I don't think has anything to do with the arena itself; again it's more about the commuting logistics on game days. The players still live on LI, so it obviously didn't work out for them. Over the next few years as the roster changes, if more players start to live outside of LI (doesn't necessarily have to be Brooklyn), the morning skates may one day return to Barclays (if they continue to happen at all).

Agreed, it has nothing to do with the arena itself. But people need to stop acting like the move has no flaws, especially when they're being obnoxious about it. There were people who said this would 100% work and said everyone else was wrong. This move for the morning skate can only be attributed to the inconvenience of the move. It should be a lesson for people to make them realize that there are positives and negatives of everything. It should be a lesson for both sides.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Interesting tid-bit:

Charles Wang tried to buy the Eisenhower twin rinks for 15 million. Owners said no and went to auction instead thinking they'd get more. Wang won it for 8 million.

Is that where the morning skates will be now? or ice works?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Agreed, it has nothing to do with the arena itself. But people need to stop acting like the move has no flaws, especially when they're being obnoxious about it. There were people who said this would 100% work and said everyone else was wrong. This move for the morning skate can only be attributed to the inconvenience of the move. It should be a lesson for people to make them realize that there are positives and negatives of everything. It should be a lesson for both sides.

The inconvenience of the move for who? The fans? Sure, for some it is. For the players? Iron out the logistical details (and obviously they are doing just that), and it's not inconvenient. It's just the new routine.

Last edited:

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Do any of you guys even follow the Islanders? It's obvious that ownership just got the first hotel bill and said that's enough of that!

BroadwayJay*

I'm not sure. Maybe someone who isn't can answer better than I can. I'm fairly indiffernt to the move. In a perfect world, I'd rather them be on Long Island. But, this isn't a perfect world. So I'm happy they're still around even though I'd prefer the Coliseum.

The move does 100% work.

They're winning and making boatloads of money.

To me, that's working.

If we go another 20 years without signing a top UFA maybe then there will be an argument that the move negatively impacts UFA interest because that was what was being argued some time ago, in relation to the practice on LI and play in Kings matter.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Is that where the morning skates will be now? or ice works?

I think it was bought to be the practice facility, but the purchased happened to close to the start of the season and there was no point in moving everything so quickly from Iceworks.

If the Isles do permanently move morning skates to Long Island (and they still exist next year), I'd assume they'd also be held at Eisenhower along with practices.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
But people need to stop acting like the move has no flaws, especially when they're being obnoxious about it. There were people who said this would 100% work and said everyone else was wrong. This move for the morning skate can only be attributed to the inconvenience of the move. It should be a lesson for people to make them realize that there are positives and negatives of everything. It should be a lesson for both sides.

Talk about obnoxious. Now you're teaching us lessons.

Thanks, professor!

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Why wouldn't you be a supporter of the new arena?

That's an easy one for me: Common sense. :D

What do I win?

If you have a few hours to kill I can itemize the lengthy list over a few drinks beginning with:

#1) Owner's revenue as often referred to in these threads(or even the more important owner's profit which is seldom if ever mentioned) is not my first, second, or third priority as a fan. If it was I would be a leaf's or ranger's fan with a witty name like potvin sucks or broadwaysomethingorother.. instead I have been a long time mostly suffering Met and Islander fan...

however I won't bore you with a long logical argument.. logic does not go over well in these threads..

BroadwayJay*

What do I win?

If you have a few hours to kill I can itemize the lengthy list over a few drinks beginning with:

#1) Owner's revenue as often referred to in these threads(or even the more important owner's profit which is seldom if ever mentioned) is not my first, second, or third priority as a fan. If it was I would be a leaf's or ranger's fan with a witty name like potvin sucks or broadwaysomethingorother.. instead I have been a long time mostly suffering Met and Islander fan...

however I won't bore you with a long logical argument.. logic does not go over well in these threads..

My name is broadwaysomethingorother...

Rangers play on 8th avenue, why do they think they get Broadway?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

What do I win?

When the team was in the red for so long, was consistently at the very bottom in terms of payroll, couldn't retain FA's or sign UFA's (all of which resulted in being consistent bottom feeders) and legitimately could have moved thousands of miles away, it should be a priority for you as a fan. If the franchise is not healthy from a financial perspective in Brooklyn and indeed does fail, as many here claim/hope, the only realistic alternatives are very, very bleak.

THAT'S WHY it is in our best interest, as Isles fans to have the move to the new arena be a success.

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
The move does 100% work.

They're winning and making boatloads of money.

To me, that's working.

If we go another 20 years without signing a top UFA maybe then there will be an argument that the move negatively impacts UFA interest because that was what was being argued some time ago, in relation to the practice on LI and play in Kings matter.

Just to play devil's advocate (and full disclosure: I am and have been solidly in favor of the relocation to BK)...

If they were in Kansas City or Quebec and were winning and making boatloads of money, I doubt too many of us would deem the move as being 100% workable. Most of the folks who are irritable about it are unhappy with having to travel farther to go to games.

I'm from Westchester - it seems to be about the same getting to and from games, just with some added tension of dealing with the BQE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad