Staples Twitter: Isles moving morning skates back to Long Island

BroadwayJay*

Just to play devil's advocate (and full disclosure: I am and have been solidly in favor of the relocation to BK)...

If they were in Kansas City or Quebec and were winning and making boatloads of money, I doubt too many of us would deem the move as being 100% workable. Most of the folks who are irritable about it are unhappy with having to travel farther to go to games.

I'm from Westchester - it seems to be about the same getting to and from games, just with some added tension of dealing with the BQE.

Well that is a different story completely.

If they moved out of the market it would be a disaster for us from the get go.

If they made tons of money and attracted UFA in KC it would be a success for KC but meaningless for us because we would no longer be part of the equation.

Surely this distinction should be obvious. This is still the NYI and not the KC Scouts...

BroadwayJay*

and that was the day alliteration died....

I have a few others:

Penn Station Pervs

Fashion Avenue Failures (albeit suffering from the same issue as Broadway)

Canyon of Zeroes

A lot of works in progress here.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Just to play devil's advocate (and full disclosure: I am and have been solidly in favor of the relocation to BK)...

If they were in Kansas City or Quebec and were winning and making boatloads of money, I doubt too many of us would deem the move as being 100% workable. Most of the folks who are irritable about it are unhappy with having to travel farther to go to games.

I'm from Westchester - it seems to be about the same getting to and from games, just with some added tension of dealing with the BQE.

This 100%.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I have a few others:

Penn Station Pervs

Fashion Avenue Failures (albeit suffering from the same issue as Broadway)

Canyon of Zeroes

A lot of works in progress here.

:laugh: I love these. Let's have a brainstorming session before next week's game against (Insert winning title here).

Edit: Broadway Blueballs (SCF's and ECF's...... so close but no finish)

Last edited:

BroadwayJay*

:laugh: I love these. Let's have a brainstorming session before next week's game against (Insert winning title here).

I really like Canyon of Zeroes, I just don't know how to properly incorporate it.

Ninth Avenue Neverwins?

Hells Kitchen Hypoxias? (I believe that is a medical term for choking)

West Side Whiners?

We are spitballing still here

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I really like Canyon of Zeroes, I just don't know how to properly incorporate it.

Ninth Avenue Neverwins?

West Side Whiners?

Now if THAT doesn't make you a nerd, I don't know what does! :laugh:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

could also be financial. I work in hotels and I can imagine day room charges in hotels will add up quickly. for staff and played you looking at about 20 rooms per day at a rate of $125 to $200 (not sure what hotel they are using--before you question my numbers I have worked in hotels in hotels for nearly 25 years and worked for both Hilton and IHG--so I am guessing that the rates in the US are close to that here in the UK/Canada/Australia/Japan where I have worked)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
could also be financial. I work in hotels and I can imagine day room charges in hotels will add up quickly. for staff and played you looking at about 20 rooms per day at a rate of $125 to $200 (not sure what hotel they are using--before you question my numbers I have worked in hotels in hotels for nearly 25 years and worked for both Hilton and IHG--so I am guessing that the rates in the US are close to that here in the UK/Canada/Australia/Japan where I have worked)

Good point.

I'm actually surprised no one has pulled the Wang Cheapo! card on that yet to be honest. :laugh:

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

Ninth Avenue Neverwins?

West Side Whiners?

Always been a fan of the "New York Pee Smells"

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Good point.

I'm actually surprised no one has pulled the Wang Cheapo! card on that yet to be honest. :laugh:

it is not being cheapo--but more of sending players back to a hotel for maybe breakfast and lunch when most players live towards the old arena or further away--the NYI maybe paying for rooms not used. I believe I read (I could be wrong on this) that many family players actually drive home(or train is it) back to their house after the morning skate and then came back in later in before the game--so the NYI are paying for room not used. This may have been a request from the players who do not live in Brooklyn and are closer to their practice arena then the Barcley's Arena and the PLAYERS may have wanted this change as well. I do remember a discussion about players commenting about coming into the Arena then heading home again after the morning skate and then back in for the game

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
When the team was in the red for so long, was consistently at the very bottom in terms of payroll, couldn't retain FA's or sign UFA's (all of which resulted in being consistent bottom feeders) and legitimately could have moved thousands of miles away, it should be a priority for you as a fan. If the franchise is not healthy from a financial perspective in Brooklyn and indeed does fail, as many here claim/hope, the only realistic alternatives are very, very bleak.

THAT'S WHY it is in our best interest, as Isles fans to have the move to the new arena be a success.

I respect your opinion even if I do not agree on what is in my best interest as a fan or who is to blame for past failures or what is bleak to Isles fans(nothing could be bleaker from my perspective than what has happened to this team already, but that is water under the bridge now). My fandom is based on my enjoyment of the team and success can be a part of that but not a prerequisite(after all I am a Met, Jet, Islander fan). Revenue may be a factor but does not necessarilly equate to on ice success( rangers 1 cup since 1940 and leafs 0 cups since 1967 for example). Fandom is a much more complicated equation than how much a team spends, otherwise I would have been a yankee and ranger fan long ago. Nothing will be sweeter than if the Isles can win with this core buidling it from nothing. We didn't really add any big name free agents in our first year but hope you are right that it will draw them.

And I will give the benefit of the doubt that people are using revenue as a proxy for actual profit or even more important long term sustained profit which really is the ultimate goal financially. Top line does not mean much to me if it does not equate to a solid bottom line. As someone who has spent a career out of analyzing profit, risk and statistics, and knows how numbers can be manipulated by those who control them, would very much like to take a look at the full revenue and expense structure to understand it, rather than someone comparing revenues without defining or giving the whole picture (for example much of the STH sales for the last year of the coliseum including mine, was paid a year previously as part of a 2 year discounted deal with free playoffs..if they are using calendar year revenue that would not count for last year, expenses at a $1B arena with increased marketing among many items are much likely higher than the bargain basement way they were run before)..

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
if the mets had to move and they ended up in a soccer stadium in Montauk would this also not be a disaster simply because Montauk is better than Montreal?

BroadwayJay*

if the mets had to move and they ended up in a soccer stadium in Montauk would this also not be a disaster simply because Montauk is better than Montreal?

Is Nassau 100 miles from Brooklyn now?

I mean, Ranger fans who are your neighbors have been doing this trip forever.

I realize you don't like having to make the commute but it isn't a big deal. It certainly isn't like traveling to Montauk from Queens. That's untenable.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Staple alluded to this yesterday - do they really need a pregame skate in the morning of a game? He seemed to indicate that teams are starting to move away from them anyway.

The rumor has always been that the pre-game skate is a tried and true tradition in the NHL to ensure players would not get hung-over from the night before... don't recall where heard it.

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
Out of curiosity, have any of the Islanders players relocated to the city (or did any live there before the move to BK)?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00