Staples Twitter: Isles moving morning skates back to Long Island

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Who wants to take a train to Brooklyn, skate, get a room at a local hotel to hang out, sleep, shower, whatever, then head back to the arena for a game?

And yes, to me there is something between the lines.

Umm every team does the same thing.. they get paid ALOT of money to do just that. Deal with it

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/01/08/islanders-barclays-center-syosset-lirr/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — Midway through their first season in Brooklyn, the New York Islanders are changing their routine and moving their game-day practices back to Long Island.

For home games this season — New York’s first since leaving Nassau Coliseum after 43 years — the Islanders had been taking the Long Island Rail Road to Brooklyn for a morning skate at 10:30 a.m. at the Barclays Center. After about a 30-minute practice, the players held their open media session, ate a team-provided meal in the locker room and then took afternoon naps at a nearby hotel.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Who wants to take a train to Brooklyn, skate, get a room at a local hotel to hang out, sleep, shower, whatever, then head back to the arena for a game?

And yes, to me there is something between the lines.

Thank you Mr. Wentworth. I waited a day to let this unfold, but unfold it has:

Capuano told reporters at IceWorks today that #Isles will hold AM skate there on Tuesday and likely beyond. Players requested the move. — Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) January 7, 2016
Hm, the players requested it...

and from Tavares via Newsday, Times, Etc.:

"It's obviously been a big change this year going to Brooklyn and we're trying many different things to see what works best," Tavares said. "This allows you to spend more time at home, to feel like you are at home when we are playing at home. And I think mostly that's what it's about, to reduce some of the travel."

But I was crazy according to some (not you) for voicing an opinion in the beginning that there was more to this than a simple venue change. Maybe some people should relax when someone offers an opinion clearly stated as speculative opinion.

The players are human like all of us. Outside of the people who are slave to the LI><NYC commute, most all of us welcome a short commute. If you could have your cake-job and eat a shorter commute who wouldn't want that? Few and far between.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY

But I was crazy according to some (not you) for voicing an opinion in the beginning that there was more to this than a simple venue change. Maybe some people should relax when someone offers an opinion clearly stated as speculative opinion.

The players are human like all of us. Outside of the people who are slave to the LI><NYC commute, most all of us welcome a short commute. If you could have your cake-job and eat a shorter commute who wouldn't want that? Few and far between.

No no no. You have it all wrong. Don't you see? It isn't a big deal now that it's proven to be a negative aspect of being in Brooklyn. Nothing about Brooklyn can be bad! :sarcasm:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

Nobody called you crazy. Stop making things up. You claimed "it was a bigger issue than just a simple venue change." It's not. it's a simple venue change.

What's the "bigger issue?"

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Nobody called you crazy. Stop making things up. You claimed "it was a bigger issue than just a simple venue change." It's not. it's a simple venue change.

What's the "bigger issue?"

It is bigger than a venue change for simple reasons, like the club saving a few bucks. This was not done for that reason, it was done, according to the Captain, at the request of the players. The players do not seem to like the commute. It is one thing to make a 30 minute two way commute twice a game day. It is another to do it when you have LI Hwys to battle with commute times involved during the week. So yes, bigger issue, but pardon me for having an opinion different from the HF Islander board mafia (lol).

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County

Well played sir!

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
It is bigger than a venue change for simple reasons, like the club saving a few bucks. This was not done for that reason, it was done, according to the Captain, at the request of the players. The players do not seem to like the commute. It is one thing to make a 30 minute two way commute twice a game day. It is another to do it when you have LI Hwys to battle with commute times involved during the week. So yes, bigger issue, but pardon me for having an opinion different from the HF Islander board mafia (lol).

I think it's more about the players not liking to be away from home so much for home games. So it's not necessarily about the commute itself; it's about when they make the commute. When they make the commute allows them to spend more time at home, which is exactly what Tavares said the players wanted.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
They should just helicopter over to Brooklyn for the games. C'mon new owners, make it happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad