Post-Game Talk: Isles def. Canucks - 6-2 (Horvat x2)

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
IMO ... my Yuge opinion, I think they should ride these ponies hard. Really looking like a team heading for the bottom, so why try and change that? Horvat doesn't seem to have the room and lets get him to Carolina to win a cup. Don't care what happens after that. I doubt these folks have what it takes to trade Miller or Boeser or Schenn or Garland, so stasis to the bottom it is. Maybe the sun shines on the lottery for the Canucks this time? A bottom five seeding you're getting a solid player.

What else is there to do?
The problem is these guys won't drive us right to the bottom. Sure as a team they're bad, but not THAT bad. They'll win some and lose some as is, and winning some and losing some doesn't get you to the bottom of the standings.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
After a strong start team, ultimately, got handled by a stronger , better structured and more mature team. So many gaps in the defensive game and they continue to give up way too much off the rush. Canucks just don't have the personnel to continue forcing an offensive game and once that starts to fail their defense is too poor to keep them in games like this.

Horvat - strong game. Had some good speed off the rush and better in transition. Best Canuck by a good margin

Kumenko - wasn't leading to much, but he forced some turnovers and worked well along boards in the offensive zone.

Bad

Myers - even at the start, when the Canucks dominated, he was looking shaky. Seems to be stumbling and mis-handling the puck. This only got worse as the game went on. Terrible game

Boeser - had a decent start but soon fell out of it and couldn't make a play. Talk of him getting back to a 30 goal season now seems demented. Be lucky if he gets a dozen. Bad in his own end again and now up to a -12 on the season. True definition of the term dead weight, and now, IMO, untradeable.

Pederson - nothing is happening here. Pederson is establishing, once again, he is not at a NHL level.

Bear - had a tough game and made several brutal turnovers. Think he got screwed up on the goal in the third by Boeser calling for the puck.

Hughes - defensive liability in this one. If you compare the steady play of Dobson, both ways, you might have second thoughts about who they should have taken.

Others

Lockwood - some nice defensive plays and did go to the body. Deserves a longer look.

OEL - as much as he doesn't earn his salary, the Canucks would miss him if he was out long term. Mostly did a good job of getting the puck up to the forwards.

Martin - had to come up, again, with some huge saves but he also again lost his angles on some of the goals.

Canucks have a clear imperative moving again. They need to get what they can rather than losing players for nothing in the off season and they need to get as high as possible in the draft.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Media says the next 3 games will decide if the next 3 games after will decide
Lol yeah I’m tired of hearing this line spewed by them. Theres nothing new to be learned, whatever happens during these next few games should have zero impact on anyone’s opinion of this team and zero impact on management’s plan(if it does then this is basically Benning redux)

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Short of Bedard, I see no scenario where this team is any good over the next 5 years without Horvat. He's too valuable, creeping into team MVP with all these goals. Where are you gonna get an upgrade on that?

EP is in his D+6 year season... and is just now becoming the player we'd hoped we drafted. Even a comparable talent, would see EP older than Miller, and Hughes past contract, if they followed a similar development.

If Bo is moved for futures, and Nucks lose the lottery.. maybe EP shouldn't be untouchable, and at that point, Hughes as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zippgunn

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
True but I would have signed him even if we had a ton of cap space. You can easily shelter a backup, especially one who had put up his numbers in the NHL. Even easier when you have a goalie like Demko.
We shelter our backups? News to me...

Probably, gotta prime himself up for some team to give him 9.5-10 million a season. Then he comes crashing down to Earth next year with his poultry 22 goals over the 82 game season.
You sure have some kind of hate on for Bo...

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Per Boudreau in the post-game: Isles had 18 blocked shots, Canucks had 3 blocks.

"We keep telling them, we keep showing video."

Reactions: geebaan

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
IMO ... my Yuge opinion, I think they should ride these ponies hard. Really looking like a team heading for the bottom, so why try and change that? Horvat doesn't seem to have the room and lets get him to Carolina to win a cup. Don't care what happens after that. I doubt these folks have what it takes to trade Miller or Boeser or Schenn or Garland, so stasis to the bottom it is. Maybe the sun shines on the lottery for the Canucks this time? A bottom five seeding you're getting a solid player.

What else is there to do?
I want a tear it down rebuild. I also know who owns this team. Miller has to go. Boeser is on the way out too, since the agent is involved publicly. Myers will be easy to unload once his bonus is paid, I hope. Garland also should go. Get rid of Pearson. Give Horvat the Miller money. You go with Bo, Petey, Kuzmenko, Hoglander Podkolzin, Mikhayev, Joshua, Lazar, Aman, Lockwood, whoever is cheap and effective from free agency. Maybe make a trade for someone worth a pick. Hughes, Dermott, Bear, Burroughs, OEL. Demko and Martin. Hopefully land an impact player in the draft. It’s not nothing.

Reactions: quat

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow! Bruce Boudreau on the post-game presser about as brutal and candid as I've ever heard him. Questioning the will and mental makeup of his team. Says that 'he' wants to win, but he's not sure about the players.

Pointed out that the Islanders had 18 blocked shots to the Canucks three. Too many players not willing to pay the price to win. Seems to be a shot across the bow of management.

I think Boudreau will last the season.....but a few more press conferences like that, who knows?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Wow! Bruce Boudreau on the post-game presser about as brutal and candid as I've ever heard him. Questioning the will and mental makeup of his team. Says that 'he' wants to win, but he's not sure about the players.

Pointed out that the Islanders had 18 blocked shots to the Canucks three. Too many players not willing to pay the price to win. Seems to be a shot across the bow of management.

I think Boudreau will last the season.....but a few more press conferences like that, who knows?
Good for Bruce

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

He knows he has zero chance of re-signing and also that FAQ doesn't want to pay for 3 coaches at once so I think he's here until the end of the season.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Sounds like Bruce is out of answers and ideas..He knows he’s not coming back (even though he has a winning record) and this team isn’t making the playoffs (which he claimed would be a disaster for his squad)

I like the coach though..He’s a genuine guy.

At this point the club can’t finish the season soon enough..

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Is anyone really surprised?

Honestly

take whatever garbage anybody offers for Miller

Let him play the “right way” elsewhere
What team is taking him at that salary? Our only hope is an aging team like Pittsburgh might be desperate enough for a last hurrah and send players like Zucker and Kapanen our way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad