Post-Game Talk: Isles def. Canucks - 6-2 (Horvat x2)

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Let’s see after 3 more games! They could be ONE game over 0.500!

Then they’ll know if they can go for it!

I know many don’t want to believe it but I think it’s telling tat IMac and the panel talked about how management knows they have to make changes to the core. So we wait and see what happens at the deadline and summer. They need to get out from 3 deals in my mind…Boeser, Garland, Myers and Miller as a 4th if they can. OEL is a lost cause. Horvat can only be signed if you do get rid of 4 deals and not 3.

So over the next 7-8 months or so those are the players I’m judging this management group on. 3 must be gone. Hopefully 4.

Reactions: mossey3535

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Bo.jpg

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Let’s see after 3 more games! They could be ONE game over 0.500!

Then they’ll know if they can go for it!

I know many don’t want to believe it but I think it’s telling tat IMac and the panel talked about how management knows they have to make changes to the core. So we wait and see what happens at the deadline and summer. They need to get out from 3 deals in my mind…Boeser, Garland, Myers and Miller as a 4th if they can. OEL is a lost cause. Horvat can only be signed if you do get rid of 4 deals and not 3.

So over the next 7-8 months or so those are the players I’m judging this management group on. 3 must be gone. Hopefully 4.
To what end?

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
I think Kypreos was bang on. Miller didn’t want to be here but his team could not get a money elsewhere as other gm’s are not morons so they circled back to Vancouver and made it look like Miller was willing to take a discount to stay.

Now stuck with a useless player and a bad long term contact that will require giving up alot to unload

Great work PA and JR

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I missed the first period and it sounds like they actually played pretty well there, so fair enough.

The only "positive" I'll really say is that I loved that Miller to Horvat goal. An incredibly difficult but perfect pass from Miller finished off with a great shot from Bo.

As for the rest..

Man, this defense.

I've said it numerous times that I like what Ethan Bear does in the offensive zone. I actually think he's a really thoughtful guy who think the game & the team dynamic very well too. His post-game comments were excellent - he was accountable for his play and his big mistake and did a great job diagnosing the issues on the team. But all that aside, I just don't know how you move forward with a defense with so many guys that are bad in the defensive zone. We've got a 6/7 defenseman here and on a good team I'm not even sure if you've got that. Basically paid a draft pick & some decent cap space which you could use in opening up other deals right now for a warm body. Not good. Expect to see him take a night off here on Thursday.

All that being said - I still take him over this version of Tyler Myers. Myself (along with others) thought he had positive value this last off-season but I was definitely wrong there. I thought the "you can move him when you pay the bonus!" talk was kind of dumb, but with how he's playing it's probably true now as he'll be tough to move before then.

Lane Pederson, Sheldon Dries, Curtis Lazar, and Brock Boeser should not be in a team's top 9. They need to staple Lazar to that 4th line C role and get him to work on his faceoffs. The others - including Boeser - are more suited to the AHL than their roles on this team. Boeser is looking like Gillis' Marco Sturm signing where you sign someone for a top six role to a multi-year deal and they don't even look like they can play in the league immediately and you need to move that contract.

I get Colin Delia hasn't been perfect, but can we stop giving Spencer Martin starts? He's getting no favors from his defense, but he's been brutal. It's getting to the point where maybe Martin is the one sent down when Demko is back. Maybe you even see Silovs called up here in the meantime to try to get a save.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
To what end?
Cap flexibility, separating the wheat from the chaff etc.

The makeup of the team needs to change. These are players I feel don't bring enough dimension to their game and team and are areas you target for improvement. I'd throw Pearson in there as well of course.

Reactions: mossey3535

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Cap flexibility, separating the wheat from the chaff etc.

The makeup of the team needs to change. These are players I feel don't bring enough dimension to their game and team and are areas you target for improvement. I'd throw Pearson in there as well of course.
And then contend for a cup?

Should we spend futures as sweteners to dump these contracts?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
There is no such thing as a hybrid backup. You are either a backup or an AHL starter. You don’t sign a backup and stash him in the A. You are just complying we don’t have a 1B playing as a backup which would cost us easy 3-4M. Money not well spent.

It's so funny because they spent two years paying the 3-4MM for the 1B goalie in Holtby and Halak, and Martin has put up pretty comparable numbers to both of them for league minimum.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looking at the standings this morning, the Canucks have 10 regulation wins in 37 games. Think about that. The only teams in the Western Conference with a worse ROW record are Anaheim, San Jose and Chicago. And those teams have been locked into the Bedard sweepstakes since the start of the season.

As a measuring stick for futility, even the Arizona Coyotes after unloading Garland and OEL on Jethro and the Canucks--have more ROW's at 11. I mean does it get any more futile than that?

Over the last decade, there's isn't a team in the entire NHL with a worse cumulative record than the Canucks. Basically one playoff year since 2014 and close to the bottom in most of those seasons. And they've compounded their futility by continuing to trade draft picks for replacement level players season after season.

And even when they did have really high picks, for every Hughes and Pettersson; there was a Juolevi and a Virtanen. You have to really feel for the diehard Canuck fans. As for the owner, he deserves this 'lump of coal' team that he's ''master-minded'.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I get Colin Delia hasn't been perfect, but can we stop giving Spencer Martin starts? He's getting no favors from his defense, but he's been brutal. It's getting to the point where maybe Martin is the one sent down when Demko is back. Maybe you even see Silovs called up here in the meantime to try to get a save.
No Delia hasn't been perfect... but he hasn't been as terrible at any point as Martin who has been brutal in about half the games he has played this year. 821 sv% or worse in half of the last half dozen starts is terrible, I don't care how bad Myers etc. are playing. I can pretty much guarantee that it's Delia that gets sent down because for some reason Martin has been penciled in as the #2 well before this season started based on a hot 6 game tear last season. Unsustainable.

Reactions: Nomobo

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
No Delia hasn't been perfect... but he hasn't been as terrible at any point as Martin who has been brutal in about half the games he has played this year. 821 sv% or worse in half of the last half dozen starts is terrible, I don't care how bad Myers etc. are playing. I can pretty much guarantee that it's Delia that gets sent down because for some reason Martin has been penciled in as the #2 well before this season started based on a hot 6 game tear last season. Unsustainable.

I agree that it seemed Martin was a lock, and yeah he probably still is. But if Delia could put a good game or two together, then maybe they have to think about it. They can't keep rolling Martin out. I know it's not all his fault - this defense is awful - but it's not working.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I’ll never understand people who use single game sv% like it means something.

You can go from .920 to .880 with one shot. It tells you very little.

Reactions: me2 and mossey3535

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Delia should get more games if only to manage Martin's workload. I don't think he can handle games every two days.

I haven't seen Delia play yet but I have trouble imagining him being better than Martin long term considering their AHL production. And I wasn't impressed by the highlights despite the two wins. Yeah he had some massive glove saves but I also saw a guy who is slide happy, plays super small and wide just like Martin, overcommits often creating the need for big saves, and shows signs of being slow to react to some shots.

Reactions: canucksfan

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I agree that it seemed Martin was a lock, and yeah he probably still is. But if Delia could put a good game or two together, then maybe they have to think about it. They can't keep rolling Martin out. I know it's not all his fault - this defense is awful - but it's not working.
Delia has done nothing BUT put good games together... when he actually gets to play. We know what we have in Martin (which isn't much) why not see what we have in Delia? So far he's been great.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
And even when they did have really high picks, for every Hughes and Pettersson; there was a Juolevi and a Virtanen. You have to really feel for the diehard Canuck fans. As for the owner, he deserves this 'lump of coal' team that he's ''master-minded'.

No, this owner is getting karma for being an absolute scumbag of a human being. This past decade has been so depressing to watch, literally unwatchable hockey for the most part. Aquaman got full control after this team back in 2008 when this team was acceding, now it's on a nose dive to the bottom and he thinks getting high priced free agents and making stupid trades is gonna turn the clock on this team to become 2011 again.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Looking at the standings this morning, the Canucks have 10 regulation wins in 37 games. Think about that. The only teams in the Western Conference with a worse ROW record are Anaheim, San Jose and Chicago. And those teams have been locked into the Bedard sweepstakes since the start of the season.

As a measuring stick for futility, even the Arizona Coyotes after unloading Garland and OEL on Jethro and the Canucks--have more ROW's at 11. I mean does it get any more futile than that?

Over the last decade, there's isn't a team in the entire NHL with a worse cumulative record than the Canucks. Basically one playoff year since 2014 and close to the bottom in most of those seasons. And they've compounded their futility by continuing to trade draft picks for replacement level players season after season.

Unless he really is Kal-El!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad