Pre-Game Talk: Isles at Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Islanders are not a good defensive team, especially this year. They are just getting good goaltending.

They are getting 920 goaltending which is good but not amazing and they still lead the league in GA. They are a good defensive team.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Keefe and Co seem to be making a big push to help players with some home cooking treatment lately.

Wonder if Keefe goes out of his way to try and get Tavares a big scoring game here against his old team

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
That's for 9 games.

If they can do it again vs NYI, that's 10. And I believe that's the first time since 1980-81.

Here's the PTS during those 10 games.

GAPTS
Borje Salming41519
Ian Turnbull01010
Laurie Boschman3811
Bill Derlago6612
Wilf Paiement8513
Pat Hickey5510
Dan Maloney347
Terry Martin044
Darryl Sittler10313
Vitezslav Duris033
Robert Picard033
Dave Farrish033
Rocky Saganiuk516
john Anderson314
Rick Vaive314
Stewart Gavin011
David Shand011
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The fact this was a 28 win season shows how little the streak means. I loved these guys:) This was around the time my dad converted me from a Habs fan to a Leafs fan. They were such a #%@tty organization back then but they sucked me in. The Ballard years of course, and that meddling old prick was a cancer on the team, but just bad luck most of the time. They drafted Doug Jarvis but he never played a game for them. Anderson instead of Bossy, Saganiuk instead of Tonelli. Boschman instead of Propp, and Nylund instead of Stevens. None of them were reaches at all, but every one was the worse choice. If only they had Dubas to trade down :) Good post!

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
The fact this was a 28 win season shows how little the streak means. I loved these guys:) This was around the time my dad converted me from a Habs fan to a Leafs fan. They were such a #%@tty organization back then but they sucked me in. The Ballard years of course, and that meddling old prick was a cancer on the team, but just bad luck most of the time. They drafted Doug Jarvis but he never played a game for them. Anderson instead of Bossy, Saganiuk instead of Tonelli. Boschman instead of Propp, and Nylund instead of Stevens. None of them were reaches at all, but every one was the worse choice. If only they had Dubas to trade down :) Good post!

I wasn't alive to watch this team in action, although I do enjoy hockey history....

That's a 21 Rick Vaive on that team..... His first full year as a Leaf, the following season he scored 54.
Salming finished the season with 66 PTS, He only managed 47 PTS in the other 62 games he played.

While looking over the Boxscore, the goalie seemed to Jiri Chra. And as a life long Leafs fan, I've never seen that name, ever. So that was something!

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Here's the stats for the last 9 Games
Auston Matthews8715
William Nylander8715
Mitch Marner6814
John Tavares3811
Tyson Barrie189
Zach Hyman358
Alex Kerfoot268
Pierre Engvall426
Soup426
Kasperi kapanen235
Jason Spezza134
Morgan Rielly044
Travis Dermott123
Fred Gauthier213
Dimity Timashov112
Justin Holl011
Adam Brooks011
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Damn

Currently, the exact same amount of players have registered a point in the current 4+ goals streak.

The universe is weird.

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
This team is definitely out of the woods now. Its the Keefe system taking shape as a instinct now that still needs work as expected. I notice a more fluid awareness of everyone now. It is definitely time to let the talent and skating play out into a all zone aggressiveness that works consistently. They look pretty sharp most nights last 5 games actually. They aren’t thinking as much and its a pretty nice skating system we are seeing. I like it anyways

Disagree entirely, we still have teams below us with games in hand, who are on pace to finish higher than us. Don't get me wrong, I think the team is playing 1000x better under Keefe, and his system works with the roster, however, I'm a realist, and there's still lots of work to do.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Disagree entirely, we still have teams below us with games in hand, who are on pace to finish higher than us. Don't get me wrong, I think the team is playing 1000x better under Keefe, and his system works with the roster, however, I'm a realist, and there's still lots of work to do.

You're right. The reality is that if they go on another slide, they can go right back to the fringes of missing the playoffs. Their margin for error is really slim. They have used up most of their margin for error early. They pretty much have to avoid any prolonged slumps the rest of the season.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
They are getting 920 goaltending which is good but not amazing and they still lead the league in GA. They are a good defensive team.
At 5v5 their team sv% is .9315, good for 4th in the league. Their PK sv% drops their overall sv% a bit as they're only 18th there.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
They are getting 920 goaltending which is good but not amazing and they still lead the league in GA.
They bleed shots and shot attempts and chances, and they are getting the 4th best team save percentage in the league. They are 4th in goals against.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
SPECIAL TEAMS

PP/NetPPPK/NetPKTotals
Leafs24.4/20.975.4/79.599.8/100.4
Isles19.6/17.481.2/86.6100.8/104.0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

edit: still trying to make this reasonably viewable

Last edited:

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
blah blah Isles D. They lost Pelech and we got our stud d-man Marincin on pace for 190 blocks under Keefe.

You guys worrying about nothing.

Hugh Jass

Dec 23, 2019

Attachments

• images.jpeg.jpg
    images.jpeg.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 5

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
They got Trots and we kept Babcock. I never believed a coach really had THAT much impact on a teams performance, but here we are with two great examples. They really have been doing great and were able to parley Tavares leaving and the new coach into something positive.
I consider Trotz the best coach in the league. This man turned a crappy Islanders team to a playoff team overnight.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
im so worried about the playoffs to be honest
i just hope we make the playoffs
need the points because Tampa still has 3 games in hand and boston is still leading the Atlantic
im still worried about Florida
and the Habs as long as they have a mathemathical chance they gonna go for it (see Kovalchuk)
i think the Isles play kinda like boston so its gonna be an interesting game

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
need the points because Tampa still has 3 games in hand and boston is still leading the Atlantic
and the Habs as long as they have a mathemathical chance they gonna go for it (see Kovalchuk)

One thing that is helping ease some pressure is a few wild card teams fizzling out, like Philly.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

I think you're right... Isles play a style like Boston... but they're not Boston at all in terms of offense. Boston has that 1st line that can win games on its own.

No guy on the Isles is a game breaker, other then Barzal, and I think he's a poor man's Marner.

I'm not saying they're terrible on offense... but the Leafs have way more game breakers.

Play solid defence... even decent defence... with Andy playing solid... and Leafs should win.

Reactions: Optomist
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad