Pre-Game Talk: Isles at Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I don't understand how so many rational hockey people think its smart to keep force feeding Hutchinson starts that he clearly doesn't deserve.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I'll be there tonight, boss got us a box for a late Christmas party. Gonna be great. Wish Andersen was starting.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Hutch playing is surprising but I'm sure there's a good reason for it. Hopefully it's not Andersen being injured and it's just that he really needs a rest.

How cool it is to have a coach who I have 100% faith in so that I don't even think about second guessing his decisions. And how sweet would it be to take out one of the top teams in the league and one who we've had trouble with recently with our back up in net!

Hutch has been good last couple of games, that could be the real Hutch so have some faith guys.

And to the guy who said he'd skip this one - this is the biggest game of the year so far, are you nuts??

Huge game tonight. Go Leafs Go!!
Keefe said (quoted a few posts before yours) that Hutchison needed a non back to back start at some point and the leafs dont have a single back to back in January so if he didnt start today or soon he wouldnt be playing for like a month

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hutch has been alright the past two starts.

This is a good test for him.

He was alright against the two worst teams in the league, and even then he still gave up 4 goals to the Devils.

The Leafs are going to need to outscore the Islanders, because chances are Hutch is not going to be the winning factor for the Leafs. Backup is still priority number 1 for this team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You would assume that Hutch would only play against teams ranked 25th and lower...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Keefe said (quoted a few posts before yours) that Hutchison needed a non back to back start at some point and the leafs dont have a single back to back in January so if he didnt start today or soon he wouldnt be playing for like a month

New Jersey on January 14th looks like a perfect night for Hutchinson.

Oh well, maybe he pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He was alright against the two worst teams in the league, and even then he still gave up 4 goals to the Devils.

The Leafs are going to need to outscore the Islanders, because chances are Hutch is not going to be the winning factor for the Leafs. Backup is still priority number 1 for this team.

I mean, the Isles have been below average for over a month now.

Not exactly a team to be scared of right now

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Some posters have been saying it's a kind of litmus test.

I agree. It's a test because, the Isles, (imho) are not as skilled as us. But, they're really a very hard working team, structured, can be intimidating, one of the hardest working teams. They play the way Babcock wanted the Leafs to play except, they don't have the talent. Trotz will exploit the other teams weakness and get the best out of his own team, the players actually work hard for him. They're opportunistic, so, Barzal et al, when they get high danger chances WILL POUNCE, and the rest of the time, they want low event hockey with nothing happening. They have lots of distractions to throw out, like the 4th line of Martin/Zisiz/Komi can stir things up and get things slowed down.
Both goalies almost the same SV% and GAA, so, even if we chase a goalie, the guy coming in, is no slouch.

They're ours for the picking if we play OUR game and play 'keep away'. But 'keep away' is not going to be quite as smooth because they won't be 'poke and hope' fore checking us.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Yeah it's a bit surprising that tonight's the night but I'm sure he has his reasons. I trust Keefe 100%, that's the bottom line and what a great feeling that is.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I don't understand how so many rational hockey people think its smart to keep force feeding Hutchinson starts that he clearly doesn't deserve.
Because rational hockey people know workload for your starter goalie is important - looking at the bigger picture.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I mean, the Isles have been below average for over a month now.

Not exactly a team to be scared of right now

Doesn't really matter. Hutch struggles against anyone who isn't a total bottom feeder, and even then he's usually not even that great. Even in the Isles rough stretch they are still a mid-tier team.

I think it's a good move to get the backup in now and against the Devils coming up. I just don't think Hutch should be that backup.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Hutch has been alright the past two starts.

This is a good test for him.

First bad move by Keefe.

Should have been Andersen(if he’s healthy of course)

Put Hutch against the oilers, western conference team and worse.

Jun 27, 2005
And to the guy who said he'd skip this one - this is the biggest game of the year so far, are you nuts??

Huge game tonight. Go Leafs Go!!

The biggest game of the year is usually determined in hindsight and for me it's going to be the 8-6 win over the Canes until something even more special comes up.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Andersen can't play them all.

Play Andersen tonight.

Hutch on Monday against a worse team and a western conference team...

Start Andersen on Thursday, 5 days rest.

Like I said, bad move, makes me think that Andersen is a bit banged up low key.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Play Andersen tonight.

Hutch on Monday against a worse team and a western conference team...

Start Andersen on Thursday, 5 days rest.

Like I said, bad move, makes me think that Andersen is a bit banged up low key.

McDrai would have a field day with Hutch.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Doesn't really matter. Hutch struggles against anyone who isn't a total bottom feeder, and even then he's usually not even that great. Even in the Isles rough stretch they are still a mid-tier team.

I think it's a good move to get the backup in now and against the Devils coming up. I just don't think Hutch should be that backup.

Ah right, let’s just magically pull a backup out of our asses.

Hutch has won games before. He’s got two wins in a row, and hopefully, has some confidence back.

I have no issues with this. Would I prefer Andersen in net? 1000%. But do I understand the need to give a goalie who has played a ton of hockey already a break? Sure do.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The biggest game of the year is usually determined in hindsight and for me it's going to be the 8-6 win over the Canes until something even more special comes up.

I say that tongue-in-cheek and I say it before every game until they don't matter any more. :)

This one really is pretty big though.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So what, losing points to them is better than losing them to a team in your conference.

I'm sure Keefe has his reasons, I mean we're not saying anything ITT that he doesn't know.

He' earned enough credit from me anyway that I'm not going to question anything he does for a time.

Reactions: X66

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I'm more surprised so many posters are SURPRISED that Keefe's going with Hutch.

Maybe he thinks and believes the 'real Hutch' is the one who played the last 2 games, not the 'other' one.

It's so non-Babcock like, isn't it?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I think starting Hutch is an underrated move for the team's mentality. They're obviously playing confident right now, outscoring Hutch against a stingy defensive team is the kind of experience that will help if they're down against this type of team in the playoffs. If they don't bring it, it's easy to blame Hutch and move on without losing confidence. I wouldn't want them getting shut out with Andersen in net in the middle of this kind of streak.

Anti-trapping a trap game.

Reactions: ULF_55
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad