Rumor: Islanders working on a Boychuk trade

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Do you mean Boychuk's 4M salary vs 6M cap hit? Do you think our owner wants to pay 8M real dollars.
That is not an immaterial amount of money.

2.75M of the 4M was already paid this year on July 1. So 5.25M over 2 years in actual salary

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I understand you think that price is too much. But I don't see Yzerman taking a single 2nd round pick for ANY off your contracts, except maybe Cizikas.

In all reality we can get by without dumping Bychuk's contract, a 1st is basically Ladd compensation(3 years 9M in actual salary)

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Do you mean Boychuk's 4M salary vs 6M cap hit? Do you think our owner wants to pay 8M real dollars.
That is not an immaterial amount of money.

I would take a closer look. Unless you think 8.9M (NYI cap space) can sign both Barzal and Pulock. (I don't think it can). They HAVE to move at least a 3M dollar player. and many NYI's have longer contracts.
It’s 5.2M in salary, 12 in cap hit for the two years.

They’ll be fine. They can bury Ladd and Hickey and buy out Komarov and sign Barzal and Pulock.

Definitely not ideal but still no worries. There’s months to get from whatever percent they go over the cap back down.

Reactions: BinCookin

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I love Johnny Boychuk. I'd take him in a heart beat if the Islanders are giving up a second and then move Nemeth, $1.5 retained, for a 3rd or 4th or whatever.

Dekeyser-Hronek
Merril-Stecher
Cholowski-Boychuk
Staal

Still kind of weak with lots of potential for injuries.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
If the isles are attaching sweeteners to Boychuk's $6m caphit,I don't expect them to take back a $5.25m caphit for their 4th line

Oh totally Agree. Nielsen is going nowhere. He's actually negative value under normal circumstances.

I think this period is showing that anyone over age 30 OR having a 5M+ price tag is actually negative value right now or close to it: See Schmidt, Tyler Johnson, Fluery.

I absolutely would not bother trying to give anything back to NYI in a deal between Detroit and them.

I do think a deal more along the lines of:

Boychuk for two seconds. Or 1 second and Bode Wilde or Holmstrom would be my ask.

Also I would only do this deal If TB didn't offer me a better deal.

In Either case we probably can't do more than 1 major salary cap dump, and I have a feeling there will be a bidding war for our cap space.

If there isn't a bidding war for the cap space, than you are going to see more teams giving up NOT their cap dumps, but rather their quality players age 23-28 in order to shed cap. Even if they have cap dumps.

P.S. I wouldn't want anyone on NYI with more than a 2 year deal for this kind of cap dump. (i.e. id rather take killorn, than assets +Ladd)

I love Johnny Boychuk. I'd take him in a heart beat if the Islanders are giving up a second and then move Nemeth, $1.5 retained, for a 3rd or 4th or whatever.

Dekeyser-Hronek
Merril-Stecher
Cholowski-Boychuk
Staal

Still kind of weak with lots of potential for injuries.

You do realise Boychuk is useless to our team right? We are not going above dead last this year.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Of course. Boychuk is exactly the kind of RD we actually need.

And, Ilitch will love that the REAL SALARY is already paid. Only $2.5M owed over 2 years.

You don't seem to understand what Yzerman is doing....

There is a reason we didn't sign, Hall or Krug or Pietro....

Drive 4 Five

Sep 5, 2006
Gonn

No interest.
Boychuk 2 yrs/$6m caphit and Frans 2 yrs/$5.25m caphit cancel each other out. Both have negative trade value.

Cizikas on the other hand is one of the better bottom 6 centers in the league and I think the isles would rather use those second rounders as a sweetener then Cizikas

The $750k difference is small, but its enough to fill another roster spot with a league minimum veteran contract for this season and next if need be. Every dollar counts now. Taking a bad contract back (Nielsen) likely means you don't have to cough up a 2nd round pick, although Isles are in need here and Detroit is not, so maybe you do need to cough up some decent value (who knows), but it shouldn't take a 2nd rounder for a $750k savings.

$750k is some savings, but we need to dump more, and Cizikas is the most likely candidate. He is a good player and fan favorite but I doubt he is an Islander after next season given his UFA status and big contracts down the middle in Barzal - Nelson - Pageau. If you find a suitor that thinks he has positive value, the Islanders should trade him now - to anyone that wants him for whatever they can stomach. Islanders free up $4.1 million in cap space in Year 1, potentially preserve their future 1st/2nd round picks, and have a hopefully serviceable 4C replacement in Nielsen, who is familiar with the Islanders. They can use the 2nds to dump something more moveable (see Komarov/Clutterbuck/Hickey) to free up more space as needed to round off the roster this year and create some room for Pelech/Sorokin/Tito raises next year.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I guess they could waive him and throw him in the minors. That may or may not change his mind.

its certainly a more viable threat to Boychuk then it is Johnson. Boychuk may just be looking for an opportunity to play in the NHL next year

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
its certainly a more viable threat to Boychuk then it is Johnson. Boychuk may just be looking for an opportunity to play in the NHL next year
I probably should ask around as I know quite a few people that are still close with him.

I honestly don't know what the guy would want at this point. Guy has a lot of miles on his body. Lots of injuries over the years.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Boychuk is one of my favorite players - ever. The guy never takes a minute off and that is one of the reasons why he is so beat up. If he can stay healthy he would be a great addition for young team moving up like Detroit. I add one of the 2nd rounders and decent def prospect probably like Wilde.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad