Rumor: Islanders working on a Boychuk trade

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I’d ask for Wahlstrom and stand firm. Islanders can look elsewhere but Detroit is in no hurry to use up their cap space and next offseason is going to be just as bad. Wings already have 3 2nds for this years draft and 2 3rds. No need to jump at trying to get more picks when we’ll likely be trading players away at the deadline for more anyways. If we’re bailing a team out I’d want to put the screws to them and get great compensation.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I’d ask for Wahlstrom and stand firm. Islanders can look elsewhere but Detroit is in no hurry to use up their cap space and next offseason is going to be just as bad. Wings already have 3 2nds for this years draft and 2 3rds. No need to jump at trying to get more picks when we’ll likely be trading players away at the deadline for more anyways. If we’re bailing a team out I’d want to put the screws to them and get great compensation.
Yeah good luck with that lol

Reactions: 12Dog and sebsisles

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Yeah I'd absolutely start with a huge ask and work my way down if I was Yzerman

Lou is no spring chicken but if Isles are looking to unload some gross contracts, make them feel the heat

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
We may not get Dobson or Wahlstrom...

But Wilde, Holmstrom + picks are likely on the table.

All I can say is this... We don't care what kind of player Boychuk is (I like him honestly).
All we care about is 6M Cap dump for 2 years.

This trade won't be about Boychuk.. It will be about the assets ADDED to Boychuk
AND/OR the Assets given to us to get Boychuk at 50%. (unlikely anyone wants him even at 3M?).

TB and Islanders are both going to need cap space, and Detroit should really leverage this opportunity.
If you think my price is too high... Imagine NOT being able to move cizikas/komarov/leddy/boychuk/Ladd....

Then tell me who you have to trade to get Pulock and Barzal...

I have no idea what the NYI are going to do. But I think they are a great team that can be in win now mode. I would have kept Toews and moved assets to dump Leddy or Boychuk... Maybe they will move more young players instead of moving picks and prospects... who knows.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I predict disappointment

should be a first plus but my guess it’s a second and/or a prospect the Isles don’t care about (which could be Bellows, which would be a good get for the Wings).

I mean I may be misreading the market...

But when Schmidt is given away for free.
Toews traded when he should totally be kept.
Most signings at extremely low prices
Signings are structured to back end weighting so not much salary is going to be spent next year vs 2 years from now.

I would say this is a BAD TIME to trade cap.
It will cost you something nice and shiney.

OR you can refuse to do that, and move quality players.
Vegas didn't want to pay anyone to move Fleury, so they moved Stastny and Schmidt instead.
Looking like NYI may go the same route, Toews.. Who is next? (Pageau?)

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I bet if someone with cap thinks they can rehab Bellows, he'd be easy to get into a Boychuk deal.

I'd love to add Boychuk the player. There just isn't room for that contract, even at 50%.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I mean I may be misreading the market...

But when Schmidt is given away for free.
Toews traded when he should totally be kept.
Most signings at extremely low prices
Signings are structured to back end weighting so not much salary is going to be spent next year vs 2 years from now.

I would say this is a BAD TIME to trade cap.
It will cost you something nice and shiney.

OR you can refuse to do that, and move quality players.
Vegas didn't want to pay anyone to move Fleury, so they moved Stastny and Schmidt instead.
Looking like NYI may go the same route, Toews.. Who is next? (Pageau?)

it may be a bad time to trade cap but it’s a good time to trade cap attached to little salary.

We will see. I don’t see the Isles having to offload an every game contributor in order to get under the cap. It’s going to be tight, admittedly.

We won’t know til it happens since LL has some bizarre way of ensuring deals don’t get out to the press til they’re completed

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
A good time to trade cap attached to little salary? How so? Literally no team needs that.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
So you’d rather get whatever package for a player with two years 6m cap and salary per season or two years 6m cap per season and 5m salary in total?
I’d rather get a real asset than another second. Just because your garbage isn’t on fire doesn’t mean anyone wants it.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
He’s paid significantly less or has RFA years, much smaller commitment.

Boychuks deal will be harder to move than Schmidt, who was harder to move than Toews.
I still think Lou should have kept Toews.

Oh I don't think Boychuk's being moved. I think Leddy is moveable to the right team and that's what will ultimately happen. My point though was that Toews who doesn't have that much value compared to Schmidt was moved for significantly more. It could be an issue of either great negotiating from NYI or poor negotiating from VGK.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
We may not get Dobson or Wahlstrom...

But Wilde, Holmstrom + picks are likely on the table.

All I can say is this... We don't care what kind of player Boychuk is (I like him honestly).
All we care about is 6M Cap dump for 2 years.

This trade won't be about Boychuk.. It will be about the assets ADDED to Boychuk
AND/OR the Assets given to us to get Boychuk at 50%. (unlikely anyone wants him even at 3M?).

TB and Islanders are both going to need cap space, and Detroit should really leverage this opportunity.
If you think my price is too high... Imagine NOT being able to move cizikas/komarov/leddy/boychuk/Ladd....

Then tell me who you have to trade to get Pulock and Barzal...

I have no idea what the NYI are going to do. But I think they are a great team that can be in win now mode. I would have kept Toews and moved assets to dump Leddy or Boychuk... Maybe they will move more young players instead of moving picks and prospects... who knows.

Agreed, however I think Cizikas is moveable they'd just rather not move him. He kills penalties, brings a physical presence, and scores 15-20 goals and around 30 points. Leddy could also potentially be moved. Boychuk/Ladd/Komarov though? Not a chance.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Gonn
Seems like Isles are coming back with the same roster but worse. They're gonna need Barzal to be in the Hart conversation in order to do some damage. (Which isn't that unlikely to be fair)
Mentioned this somewhere else but I would do Boychuk + Cizikas + pick for Frans Nielsen. Islanders net $4.1mm in cap savings in year 1. They lose Cizikas, who I am guessing will go elsewhere in UFA anyway, but get a Frans who can play the 4th line and maybe rekindle some old magic on Long Island in his final years. Isles throw in a pick due to Cizikas' injury history and pending UFA status and to compensate for the cap savings they need. They would still be strapped with Nielsen's hit in Year 2 but they can find a way out of that next year.
No interest.
Boychuk 2 yrs/$6m caphit and Frans 2 yrs/$5.25m caphit cancel each other out. Both have negative trade value.

Cizikas on the other hand is one of the better bottom 6 centers in the league and I think the isles would rather use those second rounders as a sweetener then Cizikas

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Gonn

No interest.
Boychuk 2 yrs/$6m caphit and Frans 2 yrs/$5.25m caphit cancel each other out. Both have negative trade value.

Cizikas on the other hand is one of the better bottom 6 centers in the league and I think the isles would rather use those second rounders as a sweetener then Cizikas
Frans is done like dinner. We need a fourth liner who is not physical?

Reactions: 12Dog

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
He’s paid significantly less or has RFA years, much smaller commitment.

Boychuks deal will be harder to move than Schmidt, who was harder to move than Toews.
I still think Lou should have kept Toews.
I think we should change avatars.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
So a second and a former 1st rounder that hit for 22g in the A is “garbage”.

You are going to be incredibly unhappy with the return of any cap dump you get!

Wasn't he the guy taking performance enhancers? You sound high on Bellows though so how about Isles keep him and Wings take your 2021 1st instead

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
it may be a bad time to trade cap but it’s a good time to trade cap attached to little salary.

We will see. I don’t see the Isles having to offload an every game contributor in order to get under the cap. It’s going to be tight, admittedly.

We won’t know til it happens since LL has some bizarre way of ensuring deals don’t get out to the press til they’re completed

Do you mean Boychuk's 4M salary vs 6M cap hit? Do you think our owner wants to pay 8M real dollars.
That is not an immaterial amount of money.

I would take a closer look. Unless you think 8.9M (NYI cap space) can sign both Barzal and Pulock. (I don't think it can). They HAVE to move at least a 3M dollar player. and many NYI's have longer contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad