Rumor: Islanders working on a Boychuk trade

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Considering there isn’t likely to be much of an AHL season, there’s definitely enough incentive to stick it out until his next signing bonus comes due.
His next signing bonus is $1m,due July 1,2020.

Not sure the signing bonus is some big incentive

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Boychuck is barely an NHL player despite having the heart of a lion.

taking on his contract for a 2nd would be ridiculously kind to the Isles, especially when he’s playing 12 minutes a night by the halfway point.

If you say so.
I only saw him rejoin the Isles for that one playoff game, and I thought he was good.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
You don't seem to understand what Yzerman is doing....

There is a reason we didn't sign, Hall or Krug or Pietro....

Because they wouldn't come here, #1.
Because we can use the cap room for assets like Staal and Boychuck, to bring us draft picks that help us out for our rebuild #2.
What do you think I'm not understanding?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Oh totally Agree. Nielsen is going nowhere. He's actually negative value under normal circumstances.

I think this period is showing that anyone over age 30 OR having a 5M+ price tag is actually negative value right now or close to it: See Schmidt, Tyler Johnson, Fluery.

I absolutely would not bother trying to give anything back to NYI in a deal between Detroit and them.

I do think a deal more along the lines of:

Boychuk for two seconds. Or 1 second and Bode Wilde or Holmstrom would be my ask.

Also I would only do this deal If TB didn't offer me a better deal.

In Either case we probably can't do more than 1 major salary cap dump, and I have a feeling there will be a bidding war for our cap space.

If there isn't a bidding war for the cap space, than you are going to see more teams giving up NOT their cap dumps, but rather their quality players age 23-28 in order to shed cap. Even if they have cap dumps.

P.S. I wouldn't want anyone on NYI with more than a 2 year deal for this kind of cap dump. (i.e. id rather take killorn, than assets +Ladd)

You do realise Boychuk is useless to our team right? We are not going above dead last this year.

Having a veteran who plays with heart and toughness on your third pairing and killing penalties (something you really don't want some of our guys doing) isn't useless.

Especially if we get a 2nd round pick because of it.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
And that’s gonna aggravate Ladd’s back into ltir? lol

Staying safe at home on LTIR with the wife and kids (like Hamonic this past playoffs) vs ahl travel and games,while praying to stay healthy

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
As someone who watches Boychuk every game it is mind boggling how people think he is a negative, I do not care what the analytics say the guy is a warrior and I have no idea how he can not be an asset to any team

Why would anyone take on this contract? Sorry, my statement was ignorant, Boychuk is not a terrible player. But, at the same time in Covid, I don't see who finds this contract appealing.

It’s not above is he a top 6 Dman or not.

The problem is a $6M cap hit for 2 yrs vs a team using an ELC/bridge/ low cost vet who can play a bottom pair role just fine

The problem though is the Isles has two much invested in forwards.

Generally rule is around 4/7 of cap to forwards which is around $46M. Isles already over that with Barzal and another spot.

You can do this in the short term like 2 yrs with 2-4 D on ELCs and low bridges.

The Isles need to move a F for a D and have another one given away in the ED.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
My mistake. I thought it was a $3m salary and $1m signing bonus.

He basically has 3 years left. All 3 Bonus and 1 Salary, therefore if we did trade him he has 9M left on his deal. My guess is we might be able to dump him easier next summer, till then hopefully we can get him on LTIR

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I think you will find no takers.
Simply because no one wants his cap hit.

And as a P.S. I want you to know I draft Boychuk in my Fantasy hockey every year. I love the guy. I would love watching him play in Detroit. But from an Armchair GM point off view... I know my team is crap and only young kids matter to us.

I think the best thing we could do with Boychuk would be Assets+Boychuk to us, followed by 50% retention and find a 3rd team that could actually use him for some more assets.

I see a lot of posts about how the NYI can deal with this situation by burying 5 guys? Or icing a 20 man roster? Come on, lets get serious. Someone is getting moved. Its just a matter of who, and for what. If you move a nice piece, you can get something back, but it won't be a great return (See Toews). OR you can pay to remove a guy, also an expensive move.

But I do NOT think someone is just going to "want" Boychuk. Leddy Maybe... But no one wanted Johnson. So if you can't give away Leddy... things get real messy real quick.
Leddy a LHD has a backloaded contract.Boychuk,an older RHD has a front loaded contract.

Leddy is owed a total of $13m in actual cash over the next two seasons. Boychuk is owed a total of $5.2m over the next two yrs. For teams not looking to spend,Boychuk is the better pickup.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Leddy a LHD has a backloaded contract.Boychuk,an older RHD has a front loaded contract.

Leddy is owed a total of $13m in actual cash over the next two seasons. Boychuk is owed a total of $5.2m over the next two yrs. For teams not looking to spend,Boychuk is the better pickup.
While true, Boychuk is a replacement level player. TJ is still a useful player and no team took him for free. NYI will have to buy some teams cap and it likely won't be cheap.

Reactions: BinCookin

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Did you miss Hamonic opting out of the playoff bubble,then indicating it was because of COVID-19 ?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

He is owed 13M.. Oh wow. Ya that does not sound move-able either. I think things are worse than you think.

I get what you are saying... but name a Team you think Boychuk can 1) fit under their cap and 2) improve the team... Because as far as I can tell he is your #5 guy, and would be happy to replace him with Dobson.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
He is owed 13M.. Oh wow. Ya that does not sound move-able either. I think things are worse than you think.

I get what you are saying... but name a Team you think Boychuk can 1) fit under their cap and 2) improve the team... Because as far as I can tell he is your #5 guy, and would be happy to replace him with Dobson.

The press indicated Lou is in talks to trade Boychuk,so clearly there is at least one team interested.

As for RHD Dobson...he is a blue chipper on the 2nd yr of his elc. He should be expected to get regular mins in the top 6 when he is developing well.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Is Boychuk still an NHL player or is he completely washed

Still a tough Defensive defenseman. Absolute warrior who’s always putting his body on the line. Shot blocking machine. He’s just getting up there in age and is a bit banged up and with his style of play he’s got a lot of wear and tear.

he’s absolutely still an NHL defenseman. Problem is he’s no longer worth his contract and probably can expect him to play Only 60-70 games.

If his cap hit was 3.5AAV or less I’d want to keep him. But the isles need the cap relief plus they have a deep defensive core.

on the right side they Have Pulock and Mayfield. Dobson showed he’s ready for prime time and should be a fixture on the blue line moving forward.

If a team trades for him the isles will be forced to attach assets with him. If that team is inclined they can also move him this year or next year at the deadline with 50% salary retention to a playoff team and get even more assets.

Reactions: grapes55

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Beagle/Roussel for Boychuk :naughty:

Doesn't help you clear any room at first, but smaller contracts might be easier to move... absolute worst case scenario, you can bury both for additional savings....

No? K. I'll see myself out :laugh:

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Beagle/Roussel for Boychuk :naughty:

Doesn't help you clear any room at first, but smaller contracts might be easier to move... absolute worst case scenario, you can bury both for additional savings....

No? K. I'll see myself out :laugh:
I thought about Beagle/Boychuk due to the history Beagle has with Trotz in Washington as an option to shave 3 mil in space . Is Beagle still an effective bottom sixer ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad