Rumor: Islanders working on a Boychuk trade

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Boychuk is one of my favorite players - ever. The guy never takes a minute off and that is one of the reasons why he is so beat up. If he can stay healthy he would be a great addition for young team moving up like Detroit. I add one of the 2nd rounders and decent def prospect probably like Wilde.

No thanks on Wilde.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
As someone who watches Boychuk every game it is mind boggling how people think he is a negative, I do not care what the analytics say the guy is a warrior and I have no idea how he can not be an asset to any team
An oft injured defensemen that’s going to be 37-38 during those years at a 6m cap hit. When we’ve seen what Toews/Schmidt just got traded for peanuts because cap issues. You don’t see how people view him as negative? That’s not even looking at his poor possession numbers but rather his contract in context with the market.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I do think a deal more along the lines of:

Boychuk for two seconds. Or 1 second and Bode Wilde or Holmstrom would be my ask.

Also I would only do this deal If TB didn't offer me a better deal.

You do realise Boychuk is useless to our team right? We are not going above dead last this year.

In a recent Q&A, Arthur Staple indicated he doubts Bellows is still with the organization when the season starts.
I wouldn't be surprised if the isles aren't trying to use Bellows + a 2nd as a sweetener to move Boychuk.

As for your comment that Boychuk would be useless to your team....I can only guess that Lou is trying to sell teams on Boychuk's on ice and locker room leadership.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The $750k difference is small, but its enough to fill another roster spot with a league minimum veteran contract for this season and next if need be. Every dollar counts now. Taking a bad contract back (Nielsen) likely means you don't have to cough up a 2nd round pick, although Isles are in need here and Detroit is not, so maybe you do need to cough up some decent value (who knows), but it shouldn't take a 2nd rounder for a $750k savings.

$750k is some savings, but we need to dump more, and Cizikas is the most likely candidate. He is a good player and fan favorite but I doubt he is an Islander after next season given his UFA status and big contracts down the middle in Barzal - Nelson - Pageau. If you find a suitor that thinks he has positive value, the Islanders should trade him now - to anyone that wants him for whatever they can stomach. Islanders free up $4.1 million in cap space in Year 1, potentially preserve their future 1st/2nd round picks, and have a hopefully serviceable 4C replacement in Nielsen, who is familiar with the Islanders. They can use the 2nds to dump something more moveable (see Komarov/Clutterbuck/Hickey) to free up more space as needed to round off the roster this year and create some room for Pelech/Sorokin/Tito raises next year.
Isles will be trying to win next yr,so replacing Cizikas,one of the best bottom 6 centers in the league,with a warm body holds no appeal.

Isles currently have $8.9m in cap space. Moving Boychuk and taking no salary back frees up $6m in cap space.
Burying Ladd - Hickey in the ahl frees up another $2m. Enough to sign Barzal and Pulock,while keeping their strong center depth

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Isles will be trying to win next yr,so replacing Cizikas,one of the best bottom 6 centers in the league,with a warm body holds no appeal.

Isles currently have $8.9m in cap space. Moving Boychuk and taking no salary back frees up $6m in cap space.
Burying Ladd - Hickey in the ahl frees up another $2m. Enough to sign Barzal and Pulock,while keeping their strong center depth

Worse comes to worse we just sent players up and down to new york and from Bridgeport to eat up their caphit and have basically a 20 man roster. We have a bunch of contracts I am guessing nobody will touch on waivers like Hickey, Ladd, Boychuk, Komarov, etc that we can just have a constant train up and down.

If the AHL gets suspended this year even better since I am guessing they will allow teams to have a reserve roster who can practice in the same building as the big team. Not trading Boychuk now basically will limit us at the trade deadline, unless a team is willing to take a couple contracts back

All that being said if we can't trade Boychuk my guess Ladd goes on LTIR to rest his injury problems for the season. 5.5M cap relief instantly.

Last edited:

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
The Islanders could bridge Barzal at 7.5 and Pulock at 5, bury Boychuk, Hickey, Ladd, Komorov and buyout Clutterbuck, while fielding a 20 man cap compliant roster. Barely but compliant.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Worse comes to worse we just sent players up and down to new york and from Bridgeport to eat up their caphit and have basically a 20 man roster. We have a bunch of contracts I am guessing nobody will touch on waivers like Hickey, Ladd, Boychuk, Komarov, etc that we can just have a constant train up and down.

If the AHL gets suspended this year even better since I am guessing they will allow teams to have a reserve roster who can practice in the same building as the big team. Not trading Boychuk now basically will limit us at the trade deadline, unless a team is willing to take a couple contracts back

All that being said if we can't trade Boychuk my guess Ladd goes on LTIR to rest his injury problems for the season. 5.5M cap relief instantly.

Gotta wonder if after back surgery and surgery on both knees, if Ladd is really prepared to ride ahl buses for the next 3 seasons.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The Islanders could bridge Barzal at 7.5 and Pulock at 5, bury Boychuk, Hickey, Ladd, Komorov and buyout Clutterbuck, while fielding a 20 man cap compliant roster. Barely but compliant.
I thought the second buyout window was only for players who had gone thru arbitration and we're making over $4m?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
As someone who watches Boychuk every game it is mind boggling how people think he is a negative, I do not care what the analytics say the guy is a warrior and I have no idea how he can not be an asset to any team
He’s 36 years old, declining, oft injured and has a 6M caphit. Gee i wonder why there is no interest...

Just buy him out.

Reactions: BStinson and Erndog

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Why would anyone take on this contract? Sorry, my statement was ignorant, Boychuk is not a terrible player. But, at the same time in Covid, I don't see who finds this contract appealing.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Guys an absolute warrior and can still play but he can’t stay healthy and is getting up there in age. The sweetener might sting. I guessing EDM or OTT if it happens.

A team that needs to get under the cap

No chance EDM imo

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
He’s 36 years old, declining, oft injured and has a 6M caphit. Gee i wonder why there is no interest...

Just buy him out.

His back loaded contract doesn't make it worth it since he will still be like a 5M caphit this season, we can just send him to bridgeport to save a million

Johnny Boychuk Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

2020-21$1,250,000$6,000,000$2,750,000$416,667$3,166,667$833,333$5,166,667
2021-22$1,250,000$6,000,000$2,750,000$416,667$3,166,667$833,333$5,166,667
2022-23$0$0$0$416,667$416,667-$416,667$416,667
2023-24$0$0$0$416,667$416,667-$416,667$416,667
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

That's never going to happen, first it's ridiculous to bounce around so many veterans at the same time and Lou would never made himself look that bad, but secondly he's not going to bury Komarov who Trotz uses regularly to save 1.075M cap (max like 300k in reality when you replace him with a cheaper guy). Even a Clutterbuck buyout is not likely, 1.8M cap penalty + replacement player is not much better than 3.5M, that would be like a last resort type of thing.

Even if they somehow thought about doing all of that, i made your moves and they'd have 3 roster spots to fill with an average cap hit of 790K to ice a 20 man roster which would currently mean you're putting in Czarnik, Koivula and Aho :huh: Couldn't even fit in a guy like Bellows.

He's going to ship somebody out and maybe do a couple of those things you mentioned.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Of course. Boychuk is exactly the kind of RD we actually need.

And, Ilitch will love that the REAL SALARY is already paid. Only $2.5M owed over 2 years.

Boychuck is barely an NHL player despite having the heart of a lion.

taking on his contract for a 2nd would be ridiculously kind to the Isles, especially when he’s playing 12 minutes a night by the halfway point.

Reactions: SensFactor

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
Need to remember that there might not be an AHL next season, So burying players might nor be that simple.
It doesnt matter if there is and AHL season or not (I do think there will be something). Either they are on the "23 man roster" or not. Teams are not going to suddenly start paying for guys on the one way or two way contracts that aren't on the primary roster. Are teams expected to pay for all thier players on their 50 man rosters and fit under the cap?

Im not saying its Ideal, not saying whats going to happen but just pointing out that the Islanders could under crappy circumstances make it work without trading Boychuk, to point out they are not as screwed as many others keep wishing them to be.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Need to remember that there might not be an AHL next season, So burying players might nor be that simple.

My guess is if their is no AHL season they will just have a 23-man roster and a reserve roster that doesn't count towards the cap(at least if the salary is under 1M). if this is the case I can see alot of teams shuttling players that have contracts nobody will pick up on waivers or are waiver exempt(ie less than 2 years) back and forth all year to save some cap

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
It’s the 6 million dollar cap hit and the injuries for me

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Gotta wonder if after back surgery and surgery on both knees, if Ladd is really prepared to ride ahl buses for the next 3 seasons.
Considering there isn’t likely to be much of an AHL season, there’s definitely enough incentive to stick it out until his next signing bonus comes due.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

Good he's amazing the Islanders should keep him.

You can have James Neal too, I don't care what the analytics say the guy is a warrior and I have no idea how he can not be an asset to any team.

You can have him for just two 1st round picks and Dobson.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
As for your comment that Boychuk would be useless to your team....I can only guess that Lou is trying to sell teams on Boychuk's on ice and locker room leadership.

I think you will find no takers.
Simply because no one wants his cap hit.

And as a P.S. I want you to know I draft Boychuk in my Fantasy hockey every year. I love the guy. I would love watching him play in Detroit. But from an Armchair GM point off view... I know my team is crap and only young kids matter to us.

I think the best thing we could do with Boychuk would be Assets+Boychuk to us, followed by 50% retention and find a 3rd team that could actually use him for some more assets.

I see a lot of posts about how the NYI can deal with this situation by burying 5 guys? Or icing a 20 man roster? Come on, lets get serious. Someone is getting moved. Its just a matter of who, and for what. If you move a nice piece, you can get something back, but it won't be a great return (See Toews). OR you can pay to remove a guy, also an expensive move.

But I do NOT think someone is just going to "want" Boychuk. Leddy Maybe... But no one wanted Johnson. So if you can't give away Leddy... things get real messy real quick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad