GDT: Islanders Training Camp 2020-21 Season

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Great to hear such praise on Bolduc today. I don’t see him playing much this year with the Isles but good to know we have another one on the way.

Ultimately I think we need to do better with cashing in on one or some of these young D especially since we’ve been struggling with drafting and signing scorers. Toews for the 2 2nd’s was a tough one to swallow especially for a team in win now mode
Plus with Covid and uncertainty if his league even starts playing again at least we have way of helping him develop, maybe he can go on the Dobson apprentice program.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I just don’t see Aho being an NHL regular.
It’s more than his size. It’s that he’s still not playing a 200 ft game.
As someone who has watched him play a ton in AHL I agree his own end is his issue. He is a really good offensive guy, good instincts, passer and skater. He is an NHLer though, if he cleans up his own end I believe he could be a 30-40 point defenseman in NHL.

Reactions: Rengi and MJF

JRD76

Aug 11, 2013
As someone who has watched him play a ton in AHL I agree his own end is his issue. He is a really good offensive guy, good instincts, passer and skater. He is an NHLer though, if he cleans up his own end I believe he could be a 30-40 point defenseman in NHL.
I watched him alot in the ahl the past 2 seasons and the problem I have with him is the same issue people had with Hickey. He gets outmuscled in front of the net. He's mobile and has a good stick, so he's fine defending on the rush.

Reactions: MJF

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I'm good with an offensive version of Hickey...better than noffence Hickey that gets muscled around and didn't arbour say he can teach defense, but he can't teach offence or something to that effect. If anyone can do it, it's Trotz.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
My predictions (23-man roster):

Lee-Barzal-Eberle
Beauvillier-Nelson-Bailey
Bellows-Pageau-Dal Colle
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Johnston

Pelech-Pulock
Leddy-Mayfield
Greene-Dobson
Aho/Bolduc (I could be wrong on the latter obviously, but it almost looks like Trotz confirms his presence)

Varlamov
Sorokin

Taxi Squad:

Schneider
Hutton
Komarov
Timashov (if he ends up signing!)
Czarnik
Wahlstrom

Injury: Kuhnhackl

Which would mean that Koivula, Greer, Holmstrom, Wilde, Ladd, Hickey (unless traded), etc. start the season in Bridgeport. When Kuhnhackl returns to the game, he could take Wahlstrom's place in the taxi squad, the latter would go to Bridgeport for better playing time.

Last edited:

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

Lee-Barzal-Eberle
Bellows-Pageau-Dal Colle
Johnston

Pelech-Pulock
Leddy-Mayfield
Greene-Dobson
Aho/Bolduc (I could be wrong on the latter obviously, but it almost looks like Trotz confirms his presence)

Varlamov
Sorokin

Taxi Squad:

Schneider
Hutton
Komarov
Czarnik
Wahlstrom

Which would mean that Koivula, Greer, Holmstrom, Wilde, Ladd, Hickey (unless traded), etc. start the season in Bridgeport. When Kuhnhackl returns to the game, he could take Wahlstrom's place in the taxi squad, the latter would go to Bridgeport for better playing time.

I really like the starting lineup, but man... it is not great after that (except in goal).

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Agreed. Setting up goals isn’t his problem. It’s his defense. It’s not going to endear Aho to this coach if he can’t be defensively responsible.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I watched him alot in the ahl the past 2 seasons and the problem I have with him is the same issue people had with Hickey. He gets outmuscled in front of the net. He's mobile and has a good stick, so he's fine defending on the rush.
Hickey gets outmuscled and doesn’t have the speed to get back in the play. I agree with you about Aho and guys getting past him, but I think he’s a better skater than Hickey.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

Lee-Barzal-Eberle
Bellows-Pageau-Dal Colle
Johnston

Pelech-Pulock
Leddy-Mayfield
Greene-Dobson

Varlamov
Sorokin

Taxi Squad:

Schneider
Hutton
Komarov
Czarnik
Wahlstrom

For the love of god I hope you’re wrong on mdc. I think timashov is a much better fit there but unfortunately dal bust wasn’t waived

steveat

Jun 4, 2011

Lee-Barzal-Eberle
Bellows-Pageau-Dal Colle
Johnston

Pelech-Pulock
Leddy-Mayfield
Greene-Dobson

Varlamov
Sorokin

Taxi Squad:

Schneider
Hutton
Komarov
Czarnik
Wahlstrom

I've not hear any mention of us signing Kunhackl? Is it because he is injured or is he just not signed? I was assuming this was the reason we picked up Timo.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
You would have to think Leddy wants to stay and they’d really want him to but he’s going to have to take a massive discount for that
I was just thinking about this actually. He'll definitely have to take a pay cut but he's already cashed in his career contract. He's not going to anything similar to what he has now at age 30 on the open market. He really seems to like LI and I'm sure he'll want to work out a deal fair for both sides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad