Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ Rangers - 10/14/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Yup, Staal was probably our best defenseman through the first 3 games, and he is the only defenseman to have scored any points so far. He wasn't good tonight, but that's not surprising considering who his partner was. Every defensemen on this team has looked lousy this season, including McDonagh, which leads me to believe that they are struggling with the system yet again.

this... Staal is NOT the problem here. Staal has been incredibly solid... he;s also had 3 different partners in the last 3 games, so it's hard to put any blame on him.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Costco was absolutely terrible. Overall, we had poor coverage in our own zone. The biggest and probably only positive thus far is that Nash has 6 goals in 4 games.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Mistakes were frustrating enough. The overall lack of compete after Okposo's goal was something else entirely.

And to all those who claim Klein isn't even a "good" 3rd pairing D...as if the recent memories of Bickel, Gilroy, and Ozolinsh weren't enough...I give you Kurt Cobain.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
There's a lot to be happy about.

The bad is stuff that will correct itself. McDonagh, Hank, Marty etc. playing bad is nothing concerning. These things weren't and aren't question marks.

Nash being back, Duclair exploding, Stemp being a great middle six guy etc.
Those are question marks that are looking positive.

I'm pretty excited and optimistic for the rest of the seaaon

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
well this sucks - seems like the last of the Tortorella defensive system is gone for good. Offense will be good/great this year but now we have a major D problem. Boyle needs to come back soon and IMO we need to trade to shake up the D

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Kostka makes Del Zotto look like McDonagh... and I mean that in all seriousness... at least Del Zotto could make a pass out of his zone. Kostka is basically John Moore with a 1 cent head and no skating ability...

I'm not quite sure what the scouting staff saw in him... what a ****ing moron of a player.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I'm going to leave it at this and stop, because you're all ridiculous.

1. NO team in the league has the depth to lose a top 4 defenseman, and continue on like nothing.

2. ABSOLUTELY no team in the league has the depth to lose their top center, and continue on like nothing.

We should be happy if we're .500 when Stepan comes back.

I remember people saying it wouldn't be a big deal if we lost him. It's a ****ing huge deal. He's one of the most important cogs of the team in all 3 zones. We look infinitely worse on both sides of the puck without him.

Goodnight

The bad is stuff that will correct itself. McDonagh, Hank, Marty etc. playing bad is nothing concerning. These things weren't and aren't question marks.

I'm pretty excited and optimistic for the rest of the seaaon

Great post.

This loss sucks infinitely more because it's the Piles, though.

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

I'm pretty excited and optimistic for the rest of the season

This... it's well known that Marty, McDonagh, and Hank are all slow starters. Stepan is a slow starter as well, but he can't even play for the rest of the month, so you guys better get used to this.

We're NOT deep on the RHD position, at least not YET.... we have many prospects, but as far as guys that can step in and play, we have 2 borderline NHL players, and only one plays the right side.

What i AM happy about is that in all of these games, we're scoring 3 goals... obviously that's partly due to Nash and his ridiculous play, but we have Duclair and Kreider playing incredibly well as well.. our offense almost never looks this good to start the season, so for that I am happy

Once the defense sorts itself out, we'll be OK... but that's going to be tough while Boyle is gone

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'm going to leave it at this and stop, because you're all ridiculous.

1. NO team in the league has the depth to lose a top 4 defenseman, and continue on like nothing.

2. ABSOLUTELY no team in the league has the depth to lose their top center, and continue on like nothing.

We should be happy if we're .500 when Stepan comes back.

I remember people saying it wouldn't be a big deal if we lost him. It's a ****ing huge deal. He's one of the most important cogs of the team in all 3 zones. We look infinitely worse on both sides of the puck without him.

Goodnight

I dont know who thought that, but that is stupid...

I highly doubt Chicago gets by winning game after game with Toews out, running Shaw-Richards-NameProspectHere(say Hayes)-Kreuger as their center depth...

now lets take Hjalmarsson out of the picture and replace him with a 7th defenseman...

tell me how good the hawks look now... lol

I guess one possible positive that we cna get out of this is that MAYBE, just MAYBE Bern will stop proposing to trade Stepan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad