Islanders name Anders Lee captain

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
As someone who has followed him since HS, I am not at all surprised. He oozes intangibles, can score with the best, and is a physical beast who won't back down from anybody. As another local star athlete said of him, " He's a winner".

Yup. He was selected to represent the Islanders at the NHL Media tour, and you can tell that he has the right blend of charisma and professionalism that you would expect of an NHL captain.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is no surprise to Islanders fans. He is absolutely the best candidate and you shouldn't hear a single fan complain about the pick. Lee is a natural leader and a great overall person by all accounts.
I agree. Character person. The Obvious and right pick by the Isles.

Got a call from one of the best captains in history!

Nice to get a call from a True Islanders great Captain! And Potvin was a true great captain.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The islanders did a workout with special forces a few years ago and Lee was singled out by the special forces as a great leader and a guy who could be one of them!!

Reactions: sebsisles

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Great Choice. He's mature, wise, hard-working, and keeps himself on the low.

I think most of the bewilderment here comes from the fact that you don't hear much about what he does because he's pretty low-key and not overbearing, but he sure does make an impact on and off the ice.

Reactions: PK Cronin

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The islanders did a workout with special forces a few years ago and Lee was singled out by the special forces as a great leader and a guy who could be one of them!!
This is all you need to know about Anders for those that don't know what kind of guy he is. Nice to have a Captain that is well spoken for a change rather than a programmed robot.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
4th? in goals scored in the NHL in the last 3 years, currently negotiating a 7/8 year deal, why is this surprising?

He's tied for 12th over the last three years. Do you mean the last two years, where he's tied for 5th?

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Perennial 30-40 goal scorer

He's definitely been a star these past two seasons but he's only put up 30-40 in two of the four "full" seasons he's played and one of the seasons he didn't was especially bad. 50% isn't perennial. I think he can earn that title if he does it again this season though.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
This is all you need to know about Anders for those that don't know what kind of guy he is. Nice to have a Captain that is well spoken for a change rather than a programmed robot.

Another guy who could bolt and escape the Island in less than a year. Giving him the C is a smart move to get him to stay but it likely won’t be enough, he will also have to be overpaid.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
He's definitely been a star these past two seasons but he's only put up 30-40 in two of the four "full" seasons he's played and one of the seasons he didn't was especially bad. 50% isn't perennial. I think he can earn that title if he does it again this season though.

He's in his prime right now. I fully expect him to score 30+ again.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Perennial 30-40 goal scorer
3rd longest tenured Islander
Respected by team and fanbase

HFBoards: "REALLY THAT IS SURPRISING HE'S NOT EVEN A STAR PLAYER"

Definition of perennial:

lasting or existing for a long or apparently infinite time; enduring or continually recurring.

Notify the dictionary that the definition of perennial now means anything lasting longer than a year.

He’s had 30+ goals twice, with a superstar centre, who has boosted the stats of his line mates since he entered the league. We will see this season how good Lee is without Tavares.

I’m sure his shooting percentage of nearly 20% is sustainable (it’s not, unless you are Stamkos who somehow manages an incredible ~17% over a decade).

I’m sure he’s a good character guy but he’s definitely not a star in the league. He may be one if we are strictly talking about the talent on the Islanders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad