Injury Report: Islanders Injuries (Latest: Grabo to IR, the Mallrat called up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Yeah, nobody is downplaying. I'm not going to go search for my quote but I said right away that losing Okposo is a huge hurdle to overcome and that I fully expect the team to have rough road of .500 hockey without him. I just don't think anybody is ready to sell the farm to replace him. With the way the PK and PP is I don't think anybody here calls this team a Stanley Cup contender. Yeah, anything can happen in the playoffs but I'm just looking to win a couple rounds and get these young players some "what it takes" experience. Next season we will be a lot closer to glory.

"Winning a couple of rounds" would put the team in the conference finals and a legit cup contender. While I'm not advocating selling the farm by any means, if the team is 8 wins away from a cup, selling off some pieces of the future would make some sense.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
"Winning a couple of rounds" would put the team in the conference finals and a legit cup contender. While I'm not advocating selling the farm by any means, if the team is 8 wins away from a cup, selling off some pieces of the future would make some sense.

Trottier the ex-nyi poster , made a comment about the isles showing whether they are papers tigers while dealing with KO's injury. Well, even against weaker competition, since Okposo's injury they have looked like paper tigers.

Your expectations for this group is a lot higher then mine if you think they can come out of the East and not get rolled over by Chicago/LA/Blues out West.

Even before the Okposo injury, I was wondering how they could get past Montreal, which has had the nyi number for several years now.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Trottier the ex-nyi poster , made a comment about the isles showing whether they are papers tigers while dealing with KO's injury. Well, even against weaker competition, since Okposo's injury they have looked like paper tigers.

Your expectations for this group is a lot higher then mine if you think they can come out of the East and not get rolled over by Chicago/LA/Blues out West.

Even before the Okposo injury, I was wondering how they could get past Montreal, which has had the nyi number for several years now.

The team has looked bad on some occasions in certain games or several games in a row. They have also looked very good for more occasions. They have won games that they probably should have lost and lost games they probably should have won.

Disregarding the won-lost-OLL record and going on what we have seen at both extremes, this team as constituted is not a paper tiger but also not a serious Cup contender at this time. They are closer to the latter and moving away from the former.
Anything can happen in short series in the playoffs, but the team is an emerging power in the east and we have to feel they are on the cusp.

Some players will show good improvement with more development and experience. Lee, Nelson, Strome all have several levels of improvement that can be enhanced with time. These are very good NHL players and will reach even higher. The same can be said for Leddy and possibly de Haan. We are seeing that played out this year with Harmonic as he approches the 300 game level that Potvin said it takes for defensemen to learn their position.

We have not seen the best of John Tavares, he is about to enter his peak years.
For this season only, and the playoffs that follow, it appears that under the right conditions we could shock some teams. We will not sneak up on them, they already regard us as a good contender, so we and they will be in a battle. If "paper tiger" means we get swept easily in the 1st round, I do not this that will be the case. Health of the team will play a big part in how we compete, but with a healthy Okposo back in the line-up, a rested and healthy Halak, we will not be any other teams *biatch*, we will be a real competitor no matter who we play.
It sure would help if we fix that PK but considering that there is no real reason why it cannot be fixed, I think have a 50/50 chance against any team in the first round. Have to take it a round at a time.
We are not a ECF favorite nor are we a paper tiger. This team can compete when they show up and play hard.

JMO

BillD

Melanson

Apr 29, 2004

If this team came out of the East, I'd take my chances of getting "rolled" by someone from the West. The West will take care of itself....all we'd have to worry about is the ONE team that made it to the finals if we got there. I'm not saying we will but I could see ANY team in the top 8 winning the East.

Also, if Montreal has our number, that means we have the Rags, Pens and Lightning's number. You never know what is going to happen in a 7 game series. The character of a team truely comes out during the process...not before. Would anyone have predicted the success of the Kings before their playoff runs?

I understand a lot of people are going to panic because of the rough patch we've hit. The bottom line is that every team has had the same stretches where they looked horrible. Boston, Rags, Montreal...all of them.

The best advice I ever received as a fan was that your team is never as good as they look on their best days and never as bad as they look on their worst. They play a long season and the team is what their record says they are. We are one of the top teams in the East, period.

This team has warts just like the rest of the league. We have to learn to pick up the slack when guys like Okposo go out. Take away our league-worst penalty kill and what is our record? Think about that. If we can, please lord, change that....look out.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

My expectations aren't all that high. I was just commenting on the statement "winning a couple of rounds" as that would be a huge accomplishment. And any team that is in the final four has a legit shot at the cup. I remember the improbable '93 Isles run and when they made it to the third round there was serious talk about them going all the way. And who knows, if Turgeon was healthy they very well may have. "Winning a couple of rounds" is very hard to do and if given a crystal ball, any GM would load up and "go for it" if they knew at the deadline that they'd be 8 wins away from a cup.

PS - LA ain't rolling over nobody this year.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
What is the recovery like for this, and the chances of a full recovery?

I had a retinal detachment 5 years ago, it takes around 12-16 weeks to heal, but doctors have to make sure that it is completely attached, or else any trauma on his head could result in another detachment.

That goes without saying, that his retina will always be more sensitives to blow. Especially in a sport like hockey, where impacts to the head happen frequently, this might affect his play in a way where he will start to shy away from physical play.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
My expectations aren't all that high. I was just commenting on the statement "winning a couple of rounds" as that would be a huge accomplishment. And any team that is in the final four has a legit shot at the cup. I remember the improbable '93 Isles run and when they made it to the third round there was serious talk about them going all the way. And who knows, if Turgeon was healthy they very well may have. "Winning a couple of rounds" is very hard to do and if given a crystal ball, any GM would load up and "go for it" if they knew at the deadline that they'd be 8 wins away from a cup.

PS - LA ain't rolling over nobody this year.

Although the Kings have been playing like A S S I would not want to see them in the post season. Of course at this rate, they may not make it there.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Although the Kings have been playing like A S S I would not want to see them in the post season. Of course at this rate, they may not make it there.

No doubt. If they sneak in to the playoffs and make it all the way to the finals, no team from the East will want to play them.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
In attempt to stay positive in our current skid, it was reported that Okposo would be out 6-8 weeks, with most people assuming 8 would be the probable time out. But is there any chance he comes back in 6 weeks? With research I saw that you cannot do physical activity to assure that there is no re-tear. But I can't seem him being unable to skate just to keep some cardiovascular level maintained.

Sep 18, 2009
I had a retinal detachment 5 years ago, it takes around 12-16 weeks to heal, but doctors have to make sure that it is completely attached, or else any trauma on his head could result in another detachment.

That goes without saying, that his retina will always be more sensitives to blow. Especially in a sport like hockey, where impacts to the head happen frequently, this might affect his play in a way where he will start to shy away from physical play.

If I had a full retinal detachment, I would not play a contact sport ever again.

Hopefully he has a full recovery. Will be interesting to see if his game changes.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Is Boulton still on IR? If so, doesn't that mean we are rolling with only 12 forwards? That's a risky ice going on the road for back to backs. If Boulton is activated I wouldn't mind seeing him get a start in Boston and give MM a rest. U suspect his nose is pretty sore today.

Double shift Cool Lemon if need be on the 4th line a bit. Grabner too.

cjdv16

Nov 22, 2005
The Swamp
Lots of parity in the NHL. All about getting hot at the right time. Just ask the Rangers last year.

I'd rather the Isles sag now than in another 2 months.

I feel like they'll be primed for an upswing by then.

Thankfully, they've established enough of a presence where the playoffs shouldn't be in doubt regardless of what happens over the next short while. They've built a buffer.

Cappy and Snow's job is to get this team ready for the post-season. Regular season standings don't matter. There are no weak playoff teams.

People should chill and look at the bigger picture.

Unless this team's 1st half was a facade (which it wasn't) this team is trending proper at the moment. Chillax.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
hernia surgery is tough for athletes. I felt the timetable they initially had grabner on was pretty aggressive.

What is wrong with boulton?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Man, I feel bad for Grabner. He's a great guy, but he just has never been able to return to the level he played at his rookie year.

hernia surgery is tough for athletes. I felt the timetable they initially had grabner on was pretty aggressive.

What is wrong with boulton?

They actually slowed down Grabner's recovery time table because we were playing well at the time. Still, missing an entire preseason (especially for a player who relies on skating like he does) is a recipe for disaster. I don't think he's going be effective at all this year. Next year I expect him to have a big year (barring he's healthy at the start) and also considering it will be a contract year. Who knows, it may not be with us though.

Regarding Boulton, I'm pretty sure he's just there for the ride. :laugh:

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
At this point, Grabner should really take as much time off as he needs. I'm not surprised at all he still has a nagging injury, he hasn't been as effective as he usually is. Fortunately, we don't desperately need him right now, but it'd be nice to have him nice and healthy for a stretch before the playoffs.

Crispy385

Jul 23, 2008
Man, I feel bad for Grabner. He's a great guy, but he just has never been able to return to the level he played at his rookie year.

They actually slowed down Grabner's recovery time table because we were playing well at the time. Still, missing an entire preseason (especially for a player who relies on skating like he does) is a recipe for disaster. I don't think he's going be effective at all this year. Next year I expect him to have a big year (barring he's healthy at the start) and also considering it will be a contract year. Who knows, it may not be with us though.

Regarding Boulton, I'm pretty sure he's just there for the ride. :laugh:

I try to quell my grammar criticisms as much as I can, but I thought you should know that you just said he'll have a big year unless he's healthy at the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad