Islanders General Rumour, Trade, FA, & Waiver Speculation 2018-19 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
He’d probably be fine with that, honestly. Get to enjoy LI for a few months and then shipped to a playoff team.

Toews played thirty AHL games last year I’m in no rush to see him just this second. In fact, it would be ideal for him to get 40 AHL games and play some hard minutes and then come up after.

Hamhuis did play for Trotz, maybe we can leverage that?

Hamhuis for half a year and Toews taking over after he's traded would be nice.

I think he's pretty entrenched in Western Canada. Isn't he part owner of a WHL team?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Hamhuis did play for Trotz, maybe we can leverage that?

Hamhuis for half a year and Toews taking over after he's traded would be nice.

I think he's pretty entrenched in Western Canada. Isn't he part owner of a WHL team?
Ooo didn’t know that. We’re out of it then

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
But remember: the Toews injury singlehandedly destroyed the past season #GarthFacts

It very well could have made a huge difference. But guess what? We probably are glad it did because if deHaan and Toews both are healthy the Isles might have finished 9th in the east

Reactions: IODCPiper

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
For all you advanced analytics nerds

If he hits his upside he’s going to be one of those defensemen who quietly hits 40 points with strong underlying numbers.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him earn a Leddy-type deal at the end of his current contract and have HF going WTF all over the main boards.

He’s not going to be flashy, but has the smarts to do all of the little things right.

I hope he stays healthy and hits his upside.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riseonfire and SI90

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
If he hits his upside he’s going to be one of those defensemen who quietly hits 40 points with strong underlying numbers.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him earn a Leddy-type deal at the end of his current contract and have HF going WTF all over the main boards.

He’s not going to be flashy, but has the smarts to do all of the little things right.

I hope he stays healthy and hits his upside.

If he can become a CdH-level player, I'd jump for joy. I think that's the best case scenario for Toews. Brings a very similar skillset package to CdH too.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
If he can become a CdH-level player, I'd jump for joy. I think that's the best case scenario for Toews. Brings a very similar skillset package to CdH too.

Yeah, I was going to comment that Towes might be able to replace and improve on what DeHaan brought.

Our team doesn't look sexy on paper, but I think we're going to be better than most (even here in Isles land) opinions.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah, I was going to comment that Towes might be able to replace and improve on what DeHaan brought.

Our team doesn't look sexy on paper, but I think we're going to be better than most (even here in Isles land) opinions.

A lot of things have to break right in order for this team to make the playoffs, a lot of things.

If Toews can step up and show promise as a top-4 LD in the mold of CdH, that would be huge. It would slot the d-men into the more appropriate roles and responsibilities. Leddy and Pulock will get the lion's share of PP time, maybe Toews gets the leftovers with Boychuk. It relegates Hickey, Pelech, and Mayfield to the PK and 3rd pair minutes - the biggest benefit.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I'd honestly take Leddy off PP duty entirely. Make him a pure ES player.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Going off of Trotz' PP units last season, I highly doubt that is going to happen.

He used Carlson on the first PP unit last season and Niskanen and Orlov on the second PP unit, so basically their three best all-around defensemen.

I think this team's three best all-around defenseman are Boychuk, Leddy, and Pulock. Now, I can see them keeping Boychuk off the powerplay to keep his minutes down, which would probably lead to Hickey sliding onto that 2nd unit (unless Aho/Toews) make the team out of camp.

I don't see Trotz putting a fourth forward like Ho-Sang on that second unit, he's just too conservative for that. Anyway, this is what I can see happening.

First PP:
Bailey
Barzal
Beauvillier
Lee
Pulock

Beauvillier and Pulock for Tavares and Leddy and honestly I'm not sure that unit takes a large dip in production. There's definitely a dropoff in skill from Tavares to Beauvillier, but personally I liked Bailey better on that right dot than Tavares and Beauvillier in the high slot shoots first and asks questions later whereas Tavares used to look for the perfect shot. For me, Pulock is a clear upgrade on Leddy, so I think everyones fits better than how they fitted last year.

Second PP:
Eberle
Hickey
Ho-Sang/Kovar
Leddy
Nelson

Ultimately, there's going to be a lot of trial and error with that second PP unit because I can see Trotz giving Filppula, Komarov, and Ladd looks as well.

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Going off of Trotz' PP units last season, I highly doubt that is going to happen.

He used Carlson on the first PP unit last season and Niskanen and Orlov on the second PP unit, so basically their three best all-around defensemen.

I think this team's three best all-around defenseman are Boychuk, Leddy, and Pulock. Now, I can see them keeping Boychuk off the powerplay to keep his minutes down, which would probably lead to Hickey sliding onto that 2nd unit (unless Aho/Toews) make the team out of camp.

I don't see Trotz putting a fourth forward like Ho-Sang on that second unit, he's just too conservative for that. Anyway, this is what I can see happening.

First PP:
Bailey
Barzal
Beauvillier
Lee
Pulock

Beauvillier and Pulock for Tavares and Leddy and honestly I'm not sure that unit takes a large dip in production. There's definitely a dropoff in skill from Tavares to Beauvillier, but personally I liked Bailey better on that right dot than Tavares and Beauvillier in the high slot shoots first and asks questions later whereas Tavares used to look for the perfect shot. For me, Pulock is a clear upgrade on Leddy, so I think everyones fits better than how they fitted last year.

Second PP:
Eberle
Hickey
Ho-Sang/Kovar
Leddy
Nelson

Ultimately, there's going to be a lot of trial and error with that second PP unit because I can see Trotz giving Filppula, Komarov, and Ladd looks as well.

1st PP
Lee - Barzal - Bailey - Eberle - Leddy

2nd PP with Ho-Sang
Nelson - Kovar - Beauvillier
H0-Sang - Pulock

2nd PP without Ho-Sang
Nelson - Kovar - Beauvillier
Toews - Pulock

Reactions: ndgolden

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Another Lousday come and gone and no news on whether Hunter or Korn are coming in-house. Have been hoping since the 15th passed that Hunter would be formally announced as the new GM. The more bright bulbs we get in the front office, the better. Although Lou has been proclaimed healthy, his age makes me nervous and I want someone in house to strategize or if need be, take the reins at a moment's notice.

Korn would be the cherry on top.

Reactions: IODCPiper

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Another Lousday come and gone and no news on whether Hunter or Korn are coming in-house. Have been hoping since the 15th passed that Hunter would be formally announced as the new GM. The more bright bulbs we get in the front office, the better. Although Lou has been proclaimed healthy, his age makes me nervous and I want someone in house to strategize or if need be, take the reins at a moment's notice.

Korn would be the cherry on top.
Staple wrote recently that the rumor is that Hunter already has a job lined up but it hasn't been made public yet. So, in Lou's world every day that goes by where it's not announced that he's been hired increases the chances that we get him. :naughty:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
First PP:
Bailey
Barzal
Beauvillier
Lee
Pulock

33ur2wm.gif

I am not sure Beauvillier fills the purpose of #5 on this chart. Maybe he can be used at 4. If I had to guess Bailey gets moved to 5 spot, Eberle to #4. If Bailey does get spot 5 he will have to learn to shoot more

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Staple wrote recently that the rumor is that Hunter already has a job lined up but it hasn't been made public yet. So, in Lou's world every day that goes by where it's not announced that he's been hired increases the chances that we get him. :naughty:

This is just speculation on my side but I always felt Lou took our job so he could hand it off to his son in a few years

mugbug_no._1_daddy_mug_gift_boxed.5149adfbb1fe3.jpg

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
In Staple’s latest piece he talked about the likelihood of Toews starting in the AHL unless he has an amazing camp and brining in a veteran to be the 7th defenseman.

Now that Hamhuis is signed, there are truly slim pickings in the UFA market.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
33ur2wm.gif

I am not sure Beauvillier fills the purpose of #5 on this chart. Maybe he can be used at 4. If I had to guess Bailey gets moved to 5 spot, Eberle to #4. If Bailey does get spot 5 he will have to learn to shoot more

I think Bailey is ticketed for that #5 spot.

Personally, I don’t see them putting Eberle at the #4 spot, his skating is too poor for that spot. If not Beauvillier, I could see Filppula or Nelson there.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
The thing is, I like Leddy bringing the puck into the zone and being a PP quarterback. He was misused because they expected him to not only do that, but be the main shot from the point. His shots not accurate enough to be the main shot from the point. I still think he’s a good enough distributor to be on one of the PPs.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think Bailey is ticketed for that #5 spot.

Personally, I don’t see them putting Eberle at the #4 spot, his skating is too poor for that spot. If not Beauvillier, I could see Filppula or Nelson there.

Eberle played spot 4 on PP2 last year though. As for Nelson he seems to like playing between the 2 red circles

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
The thing is, I like Leddy bringing the puck into the zone and being a PP quarterback. He was misused because they expected him to not only do that, but be the main shot from the point. His shots not accurate enough to be the main shot from the point. I still think he’s a good enough distributor to be on one of the PPs.

That is all he is good at, zone entry and passing, and Barzal is miles ahead of him so we dont necessarily need him on the PP to just enter the zone. Pulock needs to be on the PP1 unit. This is a no excuse year for Leddy. New coach who favors defense, playing with Boychuck again. He needs to improve his game drastically.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I refuse to believe the plan is to go into the season with Pelech, Hickey and Mayfield as three of the top 6 everynight regular defensemen. This cannot be Lou's plan. At least one, if not two of those spots had to be upgraded. This was literally the only thing that needed to be done this offseason, especially once Tavares left, this should have been priority number one. Even without Tavares, our offense is still in the top half of the NHL. This was the worst defense in the NHL last season BY A MILE and we have the exact same unit as last season? This is an indisputable failure by Lou if this is the plan. I dont even know how it could be argued.

Reactions: BelovedIsles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad