Islanders General Rumour, Trade, FA, & Waiver Speculation 2018-19 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Take this from me as I am an expert on this subject (check my user name): trying to fail your way into success is an INCREDIBLY dangerous game to play. The Sabres failed their way into the gift of Jack Eichel, an absolute bonafied franchise level center. As matters have developed there is a great chance he won't play a single meaningful NHL game until the seventh (!) season of his career (and that's if the current GM's plan goes 100% perfect). Unless you have absolutely no hope whatsoever trying to lose in a league and sport as completely random and unpredictable as the NHL is a real bad idea. Because you know what is worse than being on a hamster wheel of mediocrity? Being on a hamster wheel of terrible with no joy whatsoever praying for ping pong balls to save you.

I'm not talking about tanking it a year before like Buffalo did. I'm talking about sticking to a plan and not deviating it from it. The future is Barzal and the other kids. We lost Judas for nothing, that's a franchise changing loss that you don't just bounce back from like it was nothing. The Isles need more high end talent, plain and simple.

I'm talking about a rebuild like Toronto, an evaluation season and then the ascension the season afterwards with a young fast and skilled team. A rebuild is happening, I'm not in denial about it like many others. There will be no trades for Karlsson, Trouba, Pacioretty, etc.

This team will play hard, have character, and will be a pain in the ass to play against. In the end, the loss and lack of talent will rear it's ugly head. Then you let the natural transition take place. Sell off assets that aren't a fit for the future and reshape the roster. It's a recalculation, not a complete throw in the towel before game 1 like the Sabres did. There is a big difference.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I'm not talking about tanking it a year before like Buffalo did. I'm talking about sticking to a plan and not deviating it from it. The future is Barzal and the other kids. We lost Judas for nothing, that's a franchise changing loss that you don't just bounce back from like it was nothing. The Isles need more high end talent, plain and simple.

This team will play hard, have character, and will be a pain in the ass to play against. In the end, the loss and lack of talent will rear it's ugly head. Then you let the natural transition take place. Sell off assets that aren't a fit for the future and reshape the roster. It's a recalculation, not a complete throw in the towel before game 1 like the Sabres did. There is a big difference.

This is something i was screaming about at the trade deadline. we let several high quality assets walk out the door for nothing, just so we could win ONE playoff round. Okposo, Neilsen and Martin were basically let go (neilsen debatable) and they didnt force JT to resign before the trade deadline. it was governing by crony-ism, desperation and arrogance. Eliminating that was our best gift this offseason. I have no doubt that Lou is taking the same playbook from Toronto and implementing that here. Evaluate, trade off pieces for futures and build up the following 2 years....then we might actually be somewhere. and im not just talking about Belmont neither...

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
This is something i was screaming about at the trade deadline. we let several high quality assets walk out the door for nothing, just so we could win ONE playoff round. Okposo, Neilsen and Martin were basically let go (neilsen debatable) and they didnt force JT to resign before the trade deadline. it was governing by crony-ism, desperation and arrogance. Eliminating that was our best gift this offseason. I have no doubt that Lou is taking the same playbook from Toronto and implementing that here. Evaluate, trade off pieces for futures and build up the following 2 years....then we might actually be somewhere. and im not just talking about Belmont neither...

Agree. We need to start maximizing our assets properly and I believe Lou will do that. If they don't resign at a given date trade them for whatever comes back that's useable. Failing this was one of Snow's worst mistakes and it must not happen again

Reactions: Top Corner

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I can see this being the roster they go into camp with. I think they're going to want to evaluate what they have before making a splash for a 2C or top 4 D.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

I'm talking about a rebuild like Toronto, an evaluation season and then the ascension the season afterwards with a young fast and skilled team. A rebuild is happening, I'm not in denial about it like many others. There will be no trades for Karlsson, Trouba, Pacioretty, etc.

The problem with copying Toronto is like the old Steve Martin joke about how to become a millionaire: first get a million dollars. They got incredibly good luck and ended up with Matthews which is what really set them up. And the problem with roster turnover is the team has several guys and contracts (Ladd,Clutterbuck, Kromerov) that are literally impossible to move unless you are willing to give up a significant asset in a deal. This is where the terrible deals handed out to bottom 6 guys come back to bite the team in the ass. The thing I dread is that Eberle and Lee will be the guys to go.

Reactions: Top Corner

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The problem with copying Toronto is like the old Steve Martin joke about how to become a millionaire: first get a million dollars. They got incredibly good luck and ended up with Matthews which is what really set them up. And the problem with roster turnover is the team has several guys and contracts (Ladd,Clutterbuck, Kromerov) that are literally impossible to move unless you are willing to give up a significant asset in a deal. This is where the terrible deals handed out to bottom 6 guys come back to bite the team in the ass. The thing I dread is that Eberle and Lee will be the guys to go.

Good thing the Islanders got their million dollars in Barzal then.

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Some veteran dmen out there like Orpik and Hamhuis, would like to add one as a PTO.

I'd be all over Hamhuis as I think he would be a great partner for Pulock, but I really want to find out what Toews is and Hamhuis would be blocking him. We could trade him at the trade deadline and play Toews then. He would have to agree to knowing he'll be shopped at that time though.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'd be all over Hamhuis as I think he would be a great partner for Pulock, but I really want to find out what Toews is and Hamhuis would be blocking him. We could trade him at the trade deadline and play Toews then. He would have to agree to knowing he'll be shopped at that time though.

I’m shocked that Hamhuis isn’t signed yet. Maybe he’s weighing his options and seeing how the rest of the summer shapes out.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
He’d probably be fine with that, honestly. Get to enjoy LI for a few months and then shipped to a playoff team.

Toews played thirty AHL games last year I’m in no rush to see him just this second. In fact, it would be ideal for him to get 40 AHL games and play some hard minutes and then come up after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad