Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ Capitals Game 5 7pm 4/23/15

mrwarden

Nothing Witty
Jan 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Laich's comments would support a player intentionally injuring someone, so they just seem weird. Because Wilson's hit, while pretty vicious, I'm sure wasn't done in hopes of actually seriously injuring anyone. I know that no single sentence he said was that odd. It's just the whole thing altogether.

But if the Islanders are more focused on trying to hit Laich and Wilson and less on playing well, I'm all for it. If the refs are now watching for retaliation, and if the Islanders take a stupid penalty, I'm all for it. Makes the game slightly more interesting than it already is, y'know, just to see if any of the above does happen.

Unfortunately the refs will probably be more focused on Wilson touching someone.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I gotta say, its almost... nice... to be 'that' team. The one fans of opposition are so pissed of at you that they start calling your team/franchise/owner/fans classless and a bunch of thugs. Its good to be on the other side for a change.

you don't remember evil ov? dirty ov? cheap intent to injure leaving his feet ov?

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
you don't remember evil ov? dirty ov? cheap intent to injure leaving his feet ov?

That was against one player, not the entire team like it has gone down during this series.

Its the type of stuff people have said about the Bs the past few years.

The type of stuff people have said about the Seahawks.

Ya know what I'm saying tex?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That was against one player, not the entire team like it has gone down during this series.

Its the type of stuff people have said about the Bs the past few years.

The type of stuff people have said about the Seahawks.

Ya know what I'm saying tex?

I am seeing this stuff directed at Wilson for his play and Laich for his lip. Who are the other Caps players getting attention for dirty, mean, black hat players?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
The statistics HAVE to finally be on our side now, right? We are due.

2-3 secondary goals tonight??? One from the D, one from someone in the bottom 6, and maybe Brouwer finally nets one?

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I am seeing this stuff directed at Wilson for his play and Laich for his lip. Who are the other Caps players getting attention for dirty, mean, black hat players?

Wilson
Ovi
Laich
Brouwer

Apparently the directive to target Vis came from the coach.

And of course my favorite, a team that once had Dale Hunter will always be classless.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Brouwer already has one, if you're referring to even-strength shots on goal this series.

He's utterly useless.

I find it hilarious that we're apparently "targeting" Visnovsky. Like no other team targets Mike Green... hahaha

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
How awesome would a Wilson goal to start the scoring be?

its occurred to me that trotz could start 8-19-43 against the their traditional 4th line start. willy potting a rebound on the first shift would be epic.

anyone remember who scored the caps first ov era playoff goal? wasn't it brash?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He's utterly useless.

I find it hilarious that we're apparently "targeting" Visnovsky. Like no other team targets Mike Green... hahaha

I find the conflicting narratives some what humorous. We blame Mike Green himself for being targeted and applaud other teams for doing what it takes to win by taking our star players out of the game.

We're now on the other side and the other team is furious.

Govechkin

Nov 10, 2010
Laich's comments were dumb.

Wilson's hit was, hm. It was a big hit. He stayed on his feet. The puck had been tipped somewhat recently. Height disparity and stationary object vs tractor trailer, you're gonna get some debris on the road. Fine with the 2 mins, refs had to keep the peace.

Thing about Isles fans is they definitely don't want to see a stopwatch on some of their hits on Caps players vs the Wilson hit. If anyone were to take all the hits this series, I almost guarantee the time Wilson took to hit Lubomir was not in the top five longest. So it wasn't "late" as Isles fans claim.

More importantly, what kind of awful person do you have to be to wish injury on another human? The game is played hard, those hits occur, but don't go out looking for blood. If you want brutality, go watch MMA.

Caps take the lead, give away the lead, get it back and hold on.

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
The guy is 21 ... if he spends a decade here, wow we are going to get some memorable stuff from him once he fills out and gains some wisdom ... gotta love him

This but I'm just afraid his bad reputation is just gonna keep piling on, which sucks.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I can't wait for Grabo's inevitable head-down-get-crushed thing he likes to do tonight, so we'll get blamed for targeting him too!

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
How awesome would a Wilson goal to start the scoring be?

It would be the dagger.

Caps have them right where they want them... when the bully of a series has the bullied team start complaining about the bullies being too much of bullies - advantage bullies.

A longer series benefits us a ton. We are wearing them down. The key to tonight is the Caps not allowing a Islanders quick start again. If the Caps can keep the game tied in the first 20 minutes while the Caps are frustrating them - we're going to start seeing a big difference. The D needs to play great, the offense making smart/simple passes, or Holtby needs to just play a great first period. Any of that happens and advantage us.

What's also great about our team is a penalty crazy game benefits us so much. We are the #1 team in the league on the PP, so if Islanders want to get all mad and make this a 20-100 PIM night, by all means, let them do that. They'll be going back to NY down 3-2 if that happens.

I'm not sure any team has been the biggest in the NHL taht also has the top power play in the NHL. Its a pretty awesome combo.

Frustrate the other team, bully them up, and either wear them down to where they break and you step on top of them - or make them so undisciplined from them being frustrated that our PP can be the difference.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt
Tom Wilson: "It's almost a compliment they're so worried about me. I'd be upset if they thought I was a good guy."

This is exactly why I never want this guy traded. Teams and coaches covet these type of players. This kind of attitude was needed during the entire Ovy era, if not the Caps history. As far as class. I remember some dirty folks for the Isles (Potvin, Vukota, Baumgartner) to name a few. I say this as a non-Islander hater. I wanted Clutterbuck on the Caps and folks are seeing why with this series.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
This but I'm just afraid his bad reputation is just gonna keep piling on, which sucks.

He already is becoming the Ulf Samuelsson/Claude Lemieux of his time (Claude Lemieux I wouldn't mind -- as much as opposing fans despised him, he was great to have on your team).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad