Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ Capitals Game 5 7pm 4/23/15

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
Im looking forward to facing the Rangers.

The amount of whining the Isles are doing in the media...they are done.

Islanders to the media: We lost our lead and our power play stinks, better blame the caps for our own faults :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Piv-err, decisive game coming up tonight. Gotta push the pace and dictate play, a win here would be huge to give us a chance to spoil the going away party at Nassau.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Call me borro...but...

I think that last game and tonight ends up being the turning point for this core group of players we all harp on day after day. Some of them still need to go...but overall...this is the time for them to grow the **** up and end this ****.

I think they throw the hammer down and end it in the next two games. I had that opinion after game 2 and the performance they had those last two periods....and then after losing 3...no doubt they would take the next three to end it.

Then Wilson pretty much added the exclamation point to this whole thing. They've lacked that other guy that can change a series with physical play....clean or crazy. Ovie shouldn't be that guy to have to do that...so seeing Wilson finally get that chance brings a smile to my face.

This could completely go in another direction and they lose tonight to hope to force a game 7...but I don't have a sense of that happening this time around.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
anyone got the gif of alzner giving lucic the cry baby?

karl-alzner-crybaby.gif

Basically fits the entire Islander's comments to the media and posts on the boards

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Call me borro...but...

I think that last game and tonight ends up being the turning point for this core group of players we all harp on day after day. Some of them still need to go...but overall...this is the time for them to grow the **** up and end this ****.

I think they throw the hammer down and end it in the next two games. I had that opinion after game 2 and the performance they had those last two periods....and then after losing 3...no doubt they would take the next three to end it.

Then Wilson pretty much added the exclamation point to this whole thing. They've lacked that other guy that can change a series with physical play....clean or crazy. Ovie shouldn't be that guy to have to do that...so seeing Wilson finally get that chance brings a smile to my face.

This could completely go in another direction and they lose tonight to hope to force a game 7...but I don't have a sense of that happening this time around.

I think they need to win in 6. If it goes 7, Isles are taking it IMO. Just a hunch.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I'm still not a true believer that our size advantage over 7 trumps their speed advantage. I'm open to the idea after seeing the Isles public whinefest to the press but maybe that's all an act. If the Isles keep playing the way they have been the first 4 games of the series, they probably win in 6.

Washington has put together about 55 strong minutes through 4 games -and the remainder of the series they were thoroughly outplayed in every category of play. Maybe the 2nd period the other night was a turning point, but I'm of a wait and see mindset on it.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Need Carlson to step up at last.

Would like to see Kuz with some points. Better to be GWG :) Like 1st goal in 3-0 win.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
I want to see more out of Kuznetsov and pretty much anyone else not named Ovechkin or Backstrom.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I'm still not a true believer that our size advantage over 7 trumps their speed advantage. I'm open to the idea after seeing the Isles public whinefest to the press but maybe that's all an act. If the Isles keep playing the way they have been the first 4 games of the series, they probably win in 6.

Washington has put together about 55 strong minutes through 4 games -and the remainder of the series they were thoroughly outplayed in every category of play. Maybe the 2nd period the other night was a turning point, but I'm of a wait and see mindset on it.

"We can do it too" - their captain.

Which leads me to believe they might try to come out and prove they too can throw big hits tonight, getting away from their game.

Maybe we take advantage of that?

Or maybe we come out flat, as I expect.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-by-brooks-laichs-defense-of-tom-wilsons-hit/

Islanders reportedly ‘incensed’ by Brooks Laich’s defense of Tom Wilson’s hit

“And what it did was Visnovsky got knocked out of the game,” Laich said. “That puts them down to five D, in the second period, which — with the way we play with a heavy forecheck, a grinding forecheck, big forwards that finish our checks — playing with six defensemen is tough enough. But playing with five is even more difficult. So it’s a quote-unquote ‘good’ penalty to take. It knocks them down to five defensemen. We kill the penalty off, we get momentum and now we can really start to lean on their defense corps with only five guys left.”

That apparently did not go over well. Via Newsday’s Arthur Staple:

The Isles, already upset over losing Visnovsky, were further incensed when audio of Caps forward Brooks Laich’s radio appearance on a Washington station surfaced on social media. …

The NHL’s Player Safety department was informed of Laich’s comments, though such things usually warrant only a talking-to, not a fine or suspension.

One Islanders blogger described Laich’s comments as “absolutely disgusting,” “complete and utter idiocy,” “glorifying goonish behavior” and “stunning.”

Jun 15, 2007
Laich's comment was dumb. Honest and frank, but dumb.

Wilson's hit was clean.

Win tonight.

Win Saturday.

Last edited:

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC

One can hope the Islanders focus on this. Might get them running around and thus getting us a few more PPs.

I have never seen a fan base or group of players focus this much on a hit that was clean. Brutal? Sure. That is what happens when a much bigger object hits a much smaller object.

Also, they keep mentioning Lubomir's injury past. The game happens fast, do they really think Wilson can identify who he is about to hit in the moment and be like, oops need to slow down this guy has had a concussion. And if that is their argument, I guess Martin/Clutterbuck should lay off trying to put Green through the boards?

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Laich definitely didn't phrase that in a very politically correct way, he should have just acknowledged that the caps are a physical team, said it was a good clean hit, and that unfortunately in full contact sports there's always going to be some injuries as a result of the nature of the game.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Dale Hunter may have been a junk coach for this team, but that Boston series produced some amazing moments.

I don't think he was junk. The system he used sure was but that was the only time I saw this group of guys give 100% effort in every game they played. I think everyone was kind of scared of Dale, and I think we need a coach with that type of demeanor to get the type of effort we need out of these guys.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Someone's gonna concuss themselves on Ovie Erhoff style.

Oh and if they come out flat they need to retool big time. I don't know what else you need to get up for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad