Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ Capitals Game 5 7pm 4/23/15

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
I don't think he was junk. The system he used sure was but that was the only time I saw this group of guys give 100% effort in every game they played. I think everyone was kind of scared of Dale, and I think we need a coach with that type of demeanor to get the type of effort we need out of these guys.

Agreed. He had an archaic defensive system, but the the team genuinely looked like they bought in, less Ovechkin at the time. Roster management was horrid, but that team was the closest to making the ECF.

The greatest loss from that coaching staff was actually Jim Johnson, preferred his concepts defensively and for the PK.

mrwarden

Nothing Witty
Jan 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I don't think they'll do this, but nothing would be more hilarious than the Islanders trying to take out Laich all game.

Maybe Laich finally figured out a way to be useful.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think he was junk. The system he used sure was but that was the only time I saw this group of guys give 100% effort in every game they played. I think everyone was kind of scared of Dale, and I think we need a coach with that type of demeanor to get the type of effort we need out of these guys.

Hunter was a junk coach for this team. Even Oates was a better fit. Even if I bought that they gave 100% every night (which I don't, there were several players who were every bit as inconsistent in their effort levels under Hunter), it didn't produce any better results. He neutered this teams' strongest weapons and played Beagle for 20 minutes a night. He's the type of coach that can make a garbage team steal a few games, but he's not the type of coach that the Capitals needed or the type of coach that's going to win anything without a talent advantage.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Brian McNally ‏@bmcnally14
"I think we can throw those hits too" - #Islanders F Matt Martin about Tom Wilson's controversial hit on D Lubomir Visnovsky. Via @SNYtv

They've been throwing those hits the entire damn series.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Correction: they're angry at Laich because it happened to a New York Islander. If rolls were reversed and one of our guys was hurt they wouldn't be saying a thing. This is becoming a sideshow.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt
Tom Wilson: "It's almost a compliment they're so worried about me. I'd be upset if they thought I was a good guy."

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Laich definitely didn't phrase that in a very politically correct way, he should have just acknowledged that the caps are a physical team, said it was a good clean hit, and that unfortunately in full contact sports there's always going to be some injuries as a result of the nature of the game.

I am not inclined to defend Laich a whole lot, but what I heard him say was pretty clinical. First of all, nowhere did he defend the hit. He didn't say it was clean. He was non-committal on the hit. The rest was just factual.

The hit did take Lubo out of the game and that left the NYI with 5D. He was explaining the game. That's what I heard. I heard no glee.

But yea, if THIS is what is on the Islander's minds and they are looking for get even, bring it on. Their game is to stay out of the box. Lets see them move Clutterbuck and company off of the soft matchup they have been on and put them out v Backstrom and Ov.

I think Islander fans need to think thru what it is they think they want. Right now Tavares is skating against Ovechkin and Orpik. Trotz could just as easily start the game with Wilson on the first line. Right now Ov's interest is rocking 55. He can turn on 91 any time though.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
2cftchl.gif

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Hunter was a junk coach for this team. Even Oates was a better fit. Even if I bought that they gave 100% every night (which I don't, there were several players who were every bit as inconsistent in their effort levels under Hunter), it didn't produce any better results. He neutered this teams' strongest weapons and played Beagle for 20 minutes a night. He's the type of coach that can make a garbage team steal a few games, but he's not the type of coach that the Capitals needed or the type of coach that's going to win anything without a talent advantage.

4fa733ac25cce.png

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I am not inclined to defend Laich a whole lot, but what I heard him say was pretty clinical. First of all, nowhere did he defend the hit. He didn't say it was clean. He was non-committal on the hit. The rest was just factual.

Agreed. It's pretty cut and dry. And it's very similar to what happened in Game 3. When Fehr got knocked out (and later Johansson though that was unintentional) the forward lines were a mess. Ask any Islander if they thought it was beneficial to knock Fehr out of the game and knock us down to 11 forwards. They'll say it was. Whatever. It's the playoffs.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Tom Wilson: "It's almost a compliment they're so worried about me. I'd be upset if they thought I was a good guy."

Islanders reportedly 'incensed' by Tom Wilsons's defense of Tom Wilson's hit

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia

The guy is 21 ... if he spends a decade here, wow we are going to get some memorable stuff from him once he fills out and gains some wisdom ... gotta love him

come out flat today = re-tool agreed
come out flat today = huge questions asked of Trotz

Won't happen ... we will come out pumped today ... :yo::yo:

very excited indeed ... Lets go Caps :handclap:

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
The irony is after Okposo knocked Fehr out with a clean hit, he told Wilson: "What, you're not allowed to hit in this league anymore?"

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
Caps are 2-1 in this series when Tom Wilson plays.

1-0 when he throws a deliberately malicious check that knocks out the greatest player in Islanders history potentially ending his career...

They are 1-0 at home when Tom Wilson plays...

*checks lineup and sees Tom Wilson is playing*

I like our chances.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I gotta say, its almost... nice... to be 'that' team. The one fans of opposition are so pissed of at you that they start calling your team/franchise/owner/fans classless and a bunch of thugs. Its good to be on the other side for a change.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
Laich's comments would support a player intentionally injuring someone, so they just seem weird. Because Wilson's hit, while pretty vicious, I'm sure wasn't done in hopes of actually seriously injuring anyone. I know that no single sentence he said was that odd. It's just the whole thing altogether.

But if the Islanders are more focused on trying to hit Laich and Wilson and less on playing well, I'm all for it. If the refs are now watching for retaliation, and if the Islanders take a stupid penalty, I'm all for it. Makes the game slightly more interesting than it already is, y'know, just to see if any of the above does happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad