Dreger: Islanders and Avalanche lead Eberle sweepstakes

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Nobody "duped" Chiarelli, and your suggesting that anyone is claiming that the second paragraph happend is ridiculous. GM's trust the opinions of staff members all the time - and when they are wrong it absolutely falls on their head. Nobody is claiming that Chiarelli is not at fault for that deal. But it is common knowledge that Bob Green pushed hard for Reinhart. It's also common knowledge that Chiarelli didn't trust much of our scouting department and had gutted it a week prior - but he trusted Green's opinion on Reinhart because he had seen way more of him as an Oil King (Bob Green was the Oil King's head coach). Yes, it comes back on Chiarelli, but it also doesn't mean in any way, shape, or form that Chiarelli is going to lose another trade to Garth Snow, which was the point to begin with.

Johnny Boychuk says hi!

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Johnny Boychuk says hi!

A pure cap move, like Chicago has had to do multiple times. Boston had to move a contract for nothing in return. This was probably the best deal out there that had nothing coming back. It was obviously a great move for the Islanders, but Chiarelli got what he needed in that deal.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
nowhere to go but up.

You can go up but significantly deteriorate your future at the same time.

The avs want a solid foundation for a future contender. Going up, is the by product of that.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
I think the avs have the pieces to get back on track. Hopefully management can make some savvy deals and rebuild this thing properly

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

The avs want a solid foundation for a future contender. Going up, is the by product of that.
The Oilers tried a a roster with mostly under 25 year olds and it was a disaster. People can say it was all McDavid but thats simply not true.
Lucic, Maroon, Letestu, Sekera, Russell, and Talbot were all key to calming the roster down

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

shore up goaltending then shore up top D pairing and then forwards down the middle.
See CBJ and EDM.

Goaltending is fine for Avs, next up is Defense. Colarado needs to swap some sexy for a Larsson\Seth Jones type player. Barrie just wont cut it on the top pairing.

Eberle shouldnt be anywhere near a top priority for them.

Islanders have goaltending and defense in place and Tavares down the middle. Eberle to NYI makes a lot more sense.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I'm calling that Islanders fans will start changing their tune in regards to Eberles value to save face(ex. Habs fans with Drouin yesterday)

I won't.

If Hamonic or De Haan is involved, I'll be pissed.

Anything else, like Strome or picks or such, I won't mind.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
That Landeskog trade rumors are a pile of garbage. Ottawa will need to overpay to get Landenskog. If the main piece is coming back Ceci, then It will be Ceci +++.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Clearly a great example of how to make a fool of yourself on internet...

So now, Eberle is a superior player to Landeskog:laugh::popcorn:

He is absolutely a superior scoring and offensive threat to Landeskog.

33 points last year for Landeskog... Mark Letestu had 35.

If Eberle's value took a hit from a subpar season, what happened to Landeskog's?

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
McKenzie said he thinks Ebs gets traded before the trade freeze, this makes me think that it is for a defenceman. The reason being that if it were for a forward than the deal could just wait until after the expansion draft, no rush.
Currently Edmonton will be going 7-3-1 and protecting Ebs, if they trade him for Strome let's say, nothing changes, they just protect Strome instead of Ebs.

But if they trade him for a defenceman (Ebs+ for Hamonic or something) then Edmonton has to go 4-4-1 to protect Hamonic.

I bet Chia is talking Ebs for a D right now and not Ebs for a lesser forward. Only thing that makes sense

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
He is absolutely a superior scoring and offensive threat to Landeskog.

33 points last year for Landeskog... Mark Letestu had 35.

If Eberle's value took a hit from a subpar season, what happened to Landeskog's?

Eberle is a liability when he's not scoring. Landeskog can contribute to many different ways even when he's not scoring.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Eberle is a liability when he's not scoring. Landeskog can contribute to many different ways even when he's not scoring.

Not anymore he's not. Most pundits actually agree he worked hard on his two way game.

I'd hope Landeskog is contributing in other ways, he did a whole lot of not scoring last season. Even the one before he only had 53 points.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Not anymore he's not. Most pundits actually agree he worked hard on his two way game.

I'd hope Landeskog is contributing in other ways, he did a whole lot of not scoring last season. Even the one before he only had 53 points.

He had 2 less goals than Eberle...I watched every game of the playoffs, Eberle is a floater.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
For a guy who is below average in scoring than Eberle and he's worth Ceci AND +++? :popcorn: I gotta see this unfold.

It sounds like you have not watched Landeskog play last season. Price for acquiring Landy is pretty high and he plays a different role then Eberle. Eberle plays like a one dimensional game like a running chicken without a head, yeah you will score a little more goals but then give up 2x as much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad