Dreger: Islanders and Avalanche lead Eberle sweepstakes

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Soderberg and Colborne are both coming off 1 **** year in which every player on the Avs underperformed.

Eberle is coming off a mediocre year but has been declining points-wise every year since 2013-14.

Soderberg is typically a high-end 3C (points-wise) while Colborne looks to be a fairly solid 3C (points-wise) though nothing spectacular.

To suggest that Eberle, who only managed 51 points this year, even though he had a number of games with McDavid, and was constantly demoted in the playoffs, is worth more than a 3C straight-up at this point is absurd.

A 3C that managed 14 points and has 3 years left at 4.75? Or softer than baby **** Joe Colborne, who at one point went like 65 games without a goal? Retain max on both and I'd still say hell no.

Thanking my lucky stars you're not our GM. I know you don't like Eberle for some deep personal vendetta but to say he's not worth more than 32 year old 14 point Carl Soderberg is absurd.

The last thing we need are depth players from horrible hockey teams.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Soderberg and Colborne are both coming off 1 **** year in which every player on the Avs underperformed.

Eberle is coming off a mediocre year but has been declining points-wise every year since 2013-14.

Soderberg is typically a high-end 3C (points-wise) while Colborne looks to be a fairly solid 3C (points-wise) though nothing spectacular.

Eberle only managed 51 points this year, even though he had a number of games with McDavid, and was constantly demoted in the playoffs.

Any team that trades for him is essentially hoping that he can turn it around, despite multiple years of falling points and terrible work ethic. Trading that for 1 of 2 players who have been fairly consistent points-wise, in terms of 3rd line production, is likely all you can really expect to get. Especially given his cap-hit.

Come on man, i can see you not wanting the player but Eberles worst year is about like soderburgs best year and is better than anything colburne has done. Also trending down from 65 and 63 point years ain't all bad when your comparators have had about one season in total over 50 points.

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
A 3C that managed 14 points and has 3 years left at 4.75? Or softer than baby **** Joe Colborne, who at one point went like 65 games without a goal? Retain max on both and I'd still say hell no.

Thanking my lucky stars you're not our GM. I know you don't like Eberle for some deep personal vendetta but to say he's not worth more than 32 year old 14 point Carl Soderberg is absurd.

The last thing we need are depth players from horrible hockey teams.

So you're just going to ignore all my points? Why even bother responding?

It's getting pretty apparent you haven't actually watched Eberle "play" at all for the past 3 years.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

It's getting pretty apparent you haven't actually watched Eberle "play" at all for the past 3 years.

We'll trade you one Mark Fayne for one Joe Colborne.

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
Come on man, i can see you not wanting the player but Eberles worst year is about like soderburgs best year and is better than anything colburne has done. Also trending down from 65 and 63 point years ain't all bad when your comparators have had about one season in total over 50 points.

The point is he went from 65, to 63, to (on pace for) 55, to 51, let alone 2 points in 13 playoff games. If we're talking declining from 65 to 63 to 62 to 61, then I don't think it's that big a deal, but we're not. We're talking fairly significant drops in scoring pace while even playing with better linemates.

Given his downward trend and work ethic issues, which GM is going to give up a prime piece for that? He's a big question mark - maybe a change of scenery helps him out and maybe it doesn't.

Sure, I'll grant you that Colborne would be on the lower end of things compared to Soderberg, but it's a lot more realistic than Landeskog or Barrie.

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
We'll trade you one Mark Fayne for one Joe Colborne.

lol, "we"? I'm an Oilers fan :P

Colborne went 28, 28 (lower end 3rd line), to 44 (higher end 3rd line) points in Calgary while playing 3rd line minutes (averaging somewhere around 15 mins/game).

He goes to a team where literally everyone underperformed and gets 8 points while playing 4th line minutes. Low totals but, given how Oilers point productions have looked at points while we were terrible, not overly surprising.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Soderberg went from seasons of 48, 44 and 51 points to 14 last year. Colborne went from seasons of 28, 28 and 44 points to 8 last year.

While neither of these guys are workhorses, you'd have to be daft not to take into account the Jared Bednar effect. Most of our roster's offense completely imploded. Jordan Eberle literally wouldn't have broken 30 points here last year.

No one is selling high on any of these players.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Colborne went 28, 28 (lower end 3rd line), to 44 (higher end 3rd line) points in Calgary while playing 3rd line minutes (averaging somewhere around 15 mins/game).

He goes to a team where literally everyone underperformed and gets 8 points while playing 4th line minutes. Low totals but, given how Oilers point productions have looked at points while we were terrible, not overly surprising.

Colborne sucks. He was a 4th liner on the worst team in recent memory for a reason. I'd rather re-sign Eric Gryba and convert him to forward than take Colborne. Seriously, that's how bad he is. If we have to resort to trading for a Colborne or Soderberg, then Eberle needs to stay an Oiler. One is done, and the other was never good to begin with.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I ignored everything that wasn't relevant. McLellan shot down any idiot speculation about work ethic or practice habits. A downward trend from 65 to 51 is a hell of a lot less concerning than a sudden sharp decline from a player the wrong side of 30.

Remember the Eric Belanger black hole of offense at 3C?

He had 16 points. That's the calibre of player Soderbergs last season equated with, and Belanger was so awful he couldn't find work in North America.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Soderberg went from seasons of 48, 44 and 51 points to 14 last year. Colborne went from seasons of 28, 28 and 44 points to 8 last year.

While neither of these guys are workhorses, you'd have to be daft not to take into account the Jared Bednar effect. Most of our roster's offense completely imploded. Jordan Eberle literally wouldn't have broken 30 points here last year.

No one is selling high on any of these players.

"Best" part about Colborne is that of his 8 points, 3 came on opening night when he scored a hattrick. 5 points in 61 games....

Just shows what an epic trainwreck this Avs team was after EJ went down at around the 20-25 game mark...

I mean almost every player on the Avs has scored at least 10-15 points less than what was expected from them before the season...

Thats impressive in its own...

Aside from his Andrighetto... How he produced on that team is beyond me...

We will see how much rope Bednar has left but if the team looks as offensively anemic as it has for most of last season, he should be on very thin ice. Which sucks because I feel bad for him but eh...

I wonder if Eberle to the Isles will happen before the expansion draft. Makes too much sense IMO if the price is right for both sides...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Colborne is a guy you trade a 5th round pick for right now and you still aren't sure if you got screwed or not, not a 50 point scorer who had his shooting percentage blow up on him.

And I'd probably hate acquiring Soderberg more than that.

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
I ignored everything that wasn't relevant. McLellan shot down any idiot speculation about work ethic or practice habits. A downward trend from 65 to 51 is a hell of a lot less concerning than a sudden sharp decline from a player the wrong side of 30.

Remember the Eric Belanger black hole of offense at 3C?

He had 16 points. That's the calibre of player Soderbergs last season equated with, and Belanger was so awful he couldn't find work in North America.

So the fact that players which are typically pretty consistent points-wise until they had 1 bad year on 1 bad team isn't relevant? Their low point totals are actual reflections of what types of players they are?

Obviously McLellan isn't going to talk **** about any of his players, especially if he knows that a trade is going to be incoming. Why shoot yourself or your team in the foot?

In terms of practice habits, you just need to look at the optional practices in the playoffs. Eberle with 1 point in the first however many games is skipping optionals? He should be leading the ****ing charge for those if he actually gave a ****. Watch his "backchecking" in literally any game. Someone on the team doesn't actually need to say "xyz has bad habits" before it's true.

About the Belanger comparison, go check out the point totals for the Oilers players that year then check out the point totals for the Avs players this past year. Not even remotely similar, the Avs (sorry Avsbros) were far more terrible.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Eberle also has declining point totals, lack of effort on the ice, and lack of effort off the ice to thank for his current reputation.

Nice attempt at cherry-picking though.

What's the difference? Both are the same. Both are declining. I'm confused why you'd think Soderberg is the same value as Eberle and Landeskog is MUCH better than Eberle. There is nothing that proves that his value is so low we couldn't get a 4th round pick for him. He's been far more consistent than Hall was on the score sheet and as soon as he has an off year, he's a scrub. Really? :shakehead

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Not even comparable at all. One dimensional winger vs complete winger with leadership quality.

Yes that's why he's widely considered one of the worst captains in the NHL and has constantly been criticized for setting a poor example with his on ice demeanour and mini temper tantrums this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad