Dreger: Islanders and Avalanche lead Eberle sweepstakes

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You are out to lunch if you think Eberle gets anything close to those guys alone.

Edmonton best chance at getting a good defenceman for Eberle is before the expansion draft. Edmonton is also not trading out of desperation so they can still keep Eberle if they don't like the offers.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
From Oilers perspective that trade doesn't accomplish anything besides a salary dump. I think there is enough interest in Eberle to get actual value. Grigs is 23 now and has never had a 30 point season, and is no longer a viable centerman.

57% in the face-off circle, I know small sample size but that is pretty good. I know some avs fans that told me he should've been their 3C all season long.

Grig+ for Ebs
Strome+ for Ebs
Duclair+ for Ebs

I would prefer Gri to strome tbh, fits the roster more.

Maroon-McDavid-Drastaitl
Lucic-Nuge-X
Caggiula-Grig-Pulujarvi/Slepyshev
Pitlick/Slepyshev-Letestu-Kassian

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Gut feeling that NYI gets Eberle but overpays and ends up losing the trade big time.
based on the fleecing last year (Reinhart trade) I dont think NYI will overpay Chiarelli for anything.

57% in the face-off circle, I know small sample size but that is pretty good. I know some avs fans that told me he should've been their 3C all season long.

Grig+ for Ebs
Strome+ for Ebs
Duclair+ for Ebs

I would prefer Gri to strome tbh, fits the roster more.

Maroon-McDavid-Drastaitl
Lucic-Nuge-X
Caggiula-Grig-Pulujarvi/Slepyshev
Pitlick/Slepyshev-Letestu-Kassian

Grigeronko vs Soderberg is the question... both are good on the dot. what is Grig looking for as a RFA?.. Was Soderberg's brutal season a one off or is he done? soe questions that need to be answered

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
based on the fleecing last year (Reinhart trade) I dont think NYI will overpay Chiarelli for anything.

Grigeronko vs Soderberg is the question... both are good on the dot. what is Grig looking for as a RFA?.. Was Soderberg's brutal season a one off or is he done? soe questions that need to be answered

I prefer Grigeronko who is younger, cheaper, etc.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Chiarelli loses one trade because he trusted the wrong guys opinion on Reinhart and suddenly he is destined to lose all trades with Garth Snow? That isn't how it works.

Soderberg is done. Nearly blind in one eye apparently. I wouldn't trade Pouliot for him at this point if that's true.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Chiarelli loses one trade because he trusted the wrong guys opinion on Reinhart and suddenly he is destined to lose all trades with Garth Snow? That isn't how it works.

Soderberg is done. Nearly blind in one eye apparently. I wouldn't trade Pouliot for him at this point if that's true.

I am not sure that Soderberg is done. I mean he had a horrible season. But so had everyother Av basically. I agree that he probably won't put up 50 again and that he is not worth what he is paid right now at all for what he has brought last season.
At this point he is a bad contract IMO.

That said.

It has nothing to do at all with his eye sight. He has had those eye issues for a long time now and despite them has put up multiple very nice seasons in the NHL...

Soderberg right now has a lot of problems. I really didn't like his effort and how he reacted to adversity and last season very well might be an indication that his game won't age well at all.

But his eye sight probably is the least of the problems...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Granted it's Incarcerated Bob, but he's named the Avs, Isles, Blues and Sens as all having offers on the table right now, with two more coming tomorrow.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Given the keys to the Oilers franchise, this is bogus thinking that Chiarelli blindly was somehow duped into trading for Reinhart in this first major deal running the franchise. He's on record as loving Reinhart from his first hand viewings at Memorial Cup and other, Chiarelli rolled the dice on what he thought was an NHL ready prospect at critical organizational need and got a not ready for prime time prospect.

Conspiracy theorist thinking that Chiarelli meekly abdicated his new leadership role and responsibility with his new franchise to appease his inherited employee base is simplistic. Chiarelli calls the shots and made the deal and is ultimately responsible for its success or lack thereove. No GM is infallible and Chiarelli in his first deal swung and missed.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Given the keys to the Oilers franchise, this is bogus thinking that Chiarelli blindly was somehow duped into trading for Reinhart in this first major deal running the franchise. He's on record as loving Reinhart from his first hand viewings at Memorial Cup and other, Chiarelli rolled the dice on what he thought was an NHL ready prospect at critical organizational need and got a not ready for prime time prospect.

Conspiracy theorist thinking that Chiarelli meekly abdicated his new leadership role and responsibility with his new franchise to appease his inherited employee base is simplistic. Chiarelli calls the shots and made the deal and is ultimately responsible for its success or lack thereove. No GM is infallible and Chiarelli in his first deal swung and missed.

This is just how it happens. Plenty of people have tried to dump his trade for and buyout of Korpikoski on others as well.

Fans want to believe that the team is in good hands so delude themselves into thinking the president and general manager is only responsible for the positives and someone else screwed up when Chiarelli has failed. Naturally he won't fail again because it was never his fault to begin with.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This is just how it happens. Plenty of people have tried to dump his trade for and buyout of Korpikoski on others as well.

Fans want to believe that the team is in good hands so delude themselves into thinking the president and general manager is only responsible for the positives and someone else screwed up when Chiarelli has failed. Naturally he won't fail again because it was never his fault to begin with.

Simple Simon thinking. Someone else's fault for questionable decisions. I hate the scapegoating argument. Chiarelli took the Oilers job with premise that he would be the decision maker on all hockey ops. His first deal, he made the call. I agreed with the premise at the time. Hindsight with Reinhart's slow progress has been an issue and expansion amplifies the questionable decision to pull the trigger on the deal. But Chiarelli at the time, wanted an advanced prospect in a position of extreme need rather than more eighteen year old hopefuls three or so years away from playing.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
You are out to lunch if you think Eberle gets anything close to those guys alone.

Not that I think he is worth those alone but do you honestly think Chiarelli will part with a lesser player for Eberle when he has 6-8 offers for him? Usually when you have that many offers, people tend to pay more to outbid one another. But no, keep dreaming HFBoards that Eberle is worth a cap dump and some failed prospect because, you know, Oilers...:shakehead

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
NYI will be Strome+
COL will be Grigs+

Probably not far off from the truth, most indications are we are trying to cut cap while dealing Eberle, if that is our intention it will probably be a struggling prospect/young player with upside and a pick (most likely a 2nd rd pick to make up for the one we lost from signing Chia).

As an Oiler fan talk of 6 teams showing interest in Eberle makes me hopeful for more, but I am trying to stay realistic here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad