Post-Game Talk: Islanders 4, Penguins 3 - Well That Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I am blaming Letang. But, I also want Jarry to make saves. And he ain’t.

Also, last night ultimately lies at Bleuger’s feet.

Nah, last night is on Letang.

He stays in front like 10 year olds know to do there, it’s a nothing play.

Jarry never gets beat, TB never throws the puck over the glass, butterfly effect completely changes things.

Pens were all over the Isles until that mistake and I’m 99% sure they win the game without the Isles scoring there.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
That's what happens when the defense is, to quote a former coach, "so soff". It's been this way for years and years.

Not one person on the D can move Anders Lee (hell, they'd have trouble moving Theron Fleury), and the coaches know it. So instead of putting a guy on Lee and making the goalie try to see the puck through TWO guys -- or putting 2 D near the crease and making the goalie see through THREE guys -- the plan is obviously to just ignore Lee (or whoever the other team puts there) and leave him 1-on-1 with the netminder.

So what happened on the game-losing goal was exactly the likeliest outcome: a puck sitting in the crease waiting to be slam dunked while the Pens' d-men are distant spectators. Even if the new GM brings in a big physical defenseman, would the coach let him play that way?
Pretty much sums it up.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
TB never throws the puck over the glass, butterfly effect completely changes things.

At some point there was going to be special teams.

The main reason we even looked competitive and downright good yesterday was that the game went 56 minutes without them.

Somehow the PK is even worse than PP1. I don't understand how NHL coaches accept this.

Reactions: ncm7772 and Andy99

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
As always..

We could be a good team with our current goaltending

We chose those route for cap space.

People shit over muzz incorrectly, IMO.

Team system is number one issue. Fire sully

That's how I feel. I am not passing judgement on any player until I see them with a new coach first. Sullivan has about a month to get the team going and he might do that because the team is starting to show improvement and I liked the scoring chances we got last night. But if the team is still middle pack after the new GM has been around for a few weeks then I think he brings in his own man.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Jarry never gets beat, TB never throws the puck over the glass, butterfly effect completely changes things.

Pens were all over the Isles until that mistake and I’m 99% sure they win the game without the Isles scoring there.

Oh okay. Rational take.

Maybe we should blame Malkin and Crosby for not sealing the deal and over passing prior to the Letang f*** up. ‘Cos “butterfly effect”.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Best part on inconsistent Sully

Oconnor pretty much caused a goal against

Got moved up the lineup

Whatever

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Some people on this board would defend Letang if he caused every goal against in game seven of a Cup final. You can't get through that kind of devotion. Crosby and Malkin are infinitely more important to this franchise's success past present and future, and when rookie defensemen are routinely smarter, more responsible, and more poised, the expiration date has passed.

Reactions: Pensfan891

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
That's how I feel. I am not passing judgement on any player until I see them with a new coach first. Sullivan has about a month to get the team going and he might do that because the team is starting to show improvement and I liked the scoring chances we got last night. But if the team is still middle pack after the new GM has been around for a few weeks then I think he brings in his own man.
You can’t dick around forever in a shortened season.

The owners are greedy and delusional. They are too cheap to fire Sully, and they still think the team is a contender with him. I think our owners want to win, but not if it requires money money. Maybe next year they will loosen the budget.

The other legitimate teams are playing well. Why is ok for us to still like ass after 11 games when other teams are buzzing?

Best case, a GM is hired by late next week, right? Then you want them to have a chance to analyze the team. Suddenly, you are into March with Sully and company still trying to overcome the long off season.

Last edited:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

I agree with that and that is why I said I liked the way the Pens played in that game even with the loss. I felt we dominated much of the game but that dumb play and good goaltending by the opposition cost us the game. Overall much better team play than pretty much everyone of our wins.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
You can’t dick around forever in a shortened season.

The owners are greedy and delusional. They are too cheap to fire Sully, and they still think the team is a contender with him.

The other legitimate teams are playing well. Why is ok for us to still like ass after 11 games when other teams are buzzing?

Best case, a GM is hired by late next week, right? Then you want them to have a chance to analyze the team. Suddenly, you are into March with Sully and company still trying to overcome the long off season.

I don't think we played like a$$ last night. Before that we have played most of our games with our whole defensman gone. So I am willing to wait a month and let the new GM evaluate the players and make the right decisions. Thank good that person is not reactionary like half this board is. If we listened to you guys we don't have those Cups in 2009 and 2016. In both those seasons you guys wanted to tank for draft picks so thank God you guys haven't been in charge.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
At some point there was going to be special teams.

The main reason we even looked competitive and downright good yesterday was that the game went 56 minutes without them.

Somehow the PK is even worse than PP1. I don't understand how NHL coaches accept this.

Ya that probably helped substantially.

They are practicing shooting though!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Some people on this board would defend Letang if he caused every goal against in game seven of a Cup final. You can't get through that kind of devotion. Crosby and Malkin are infinitely more important to this franchise's success past present and future, and when rookie defensemen are routinely smarter, more responsible, and more poised, the expiration date has passed.

Nobody is not blaming Letang. We are just saying Jarry is terrible on top of it and Bleuger cost is the game.

People act like every time Letang touches the puck or makes a mistake the game is lost solely because of him.

Marino has been worse than Letang all year and people don’t seem to blame the game on him not tying up his man on G2.

Jiggy has a point about our defense as a whole cheating and playing like shit. It’s just Jarry being terrible on top of it is blowing this team out of the playoffs.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Oh okay. Rational take.

Maybe we should blame Malkin and Crosby for not sealing the deal and over passing prior to the Letang f*** up. ‘Cos “butterfly effect”.

Uh, if Letang does what he’s supposed to do and not be a potato head, the play continues in a completely different manner, which dramatically alters the rest of the game.

I know your Letang affection clouds your judgment substantially, but you can’t possibly think everything else would have stayed the same if Letang did his job there.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Uh, if Letang does what he’s supposed to do and not be a potato head, the play continues in a completely different manner, which completely alters the rest of the game.

I know your Letang affection clouds your judgment substantially, but you can’t possibly think everything else would stay the same if Letang did his job there.

I mean, knowing Letang, Clutterbuck still gets off that shot and scored because Letang fails to tie him up or block the pass, let’s be honest.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don't think we played like a$$ last night. Before that we have played most of our games with our whole defensman gone. So I am willing to wait a month and let the new GM evaluate the players and make the right decisions. Thank good that person is not reactionary like half this board is. If we listened to you guys we don't have those Cups in 2009 and 2016. In both those seasons you guys wanted to tank for draft picks so thank God you guys haven't been in charge.
I’m not suggesting that we tank for picks, especially because we don’t have a first round pick. I’ve been saying Sully’s shelf-life is long expired now. The Pens won cups in 09 and 16 because we got rid of coach.

Get rid of the coach.

I know we blame JR and Sully for everything, but at some point, the guys in the ivory tower have to make the necessary changes too.

To me, we addressed 1/3 of the problems when senile quit. We still have Sully and we a management group that views Letang in the same light as Geno and Sid, allowed the bare bones front office staff for far too long, and the self imposed budget constraints.

It’s like we had three flat tires but only replaced one and expect the car to drive just fine.

Last edited:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Based off 6 games? POJ would be making mistakes all over the ice if he took Letang's workload.

Just ask Marino.

Reactions: Gurglesons

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Usually you're a Letang defender, so at least this take isn't in bad faith.

But Letang was good last night for 99% of the game, I fail to see how the loss is on him. Especially when he finished +2

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I’m not suggesting that we tank for picks, especially because we don’t have a first round pick. I’ve been saying Sully’s shelf-life is long expired now. The Pens won cups in 09 and 16 because we got rid of coach.

Get rid of the coach.

I know we blame JR and Sully for everything, but at some point, the guys in the ivory tower have to make the necessary changes too.

To me, we addressed 1/3 of the problems when senile quit. We still have Sully and we a management group that views Letang in the same light as Geno and Sid, allowed the bare bones front office staff for far too long, and the self imposed budget constraints.

It’s like we had three flat tires but only replaced one and expect the car to drive just fine.

Again I haven't disagreed with needing a coaching change but not going to rush into it either. This team will be within striking range at the halfway point and that gives the new GM time to evaluate the team more and find the right coaching fit. We won in 2009 and 2016 by making the right choice at the midpoint and I think even in this shortened season that is fine to do unless we start falling back far from that 4th seed which I don't think we will do unless the injuries keep coming and if that is the case I won't blame the coach.

My point still stands that the reactionary fans on this HF Boards would of destroyed any chances of Cups with their mentality. Go back and read the threads from 2009 and 2016 during those seasons many of you guys wanted to tank for a lottery pick and trade off players. Obviously we only needed some new blood in the coaching spot and some trades at the deadline to win Cups. The point is the sky is falling posters on these boards would be the worst GM's ever yet they constantly criticize ownership and Rutherford who brought you several Cups. Those posters just don't realize what a joke that is to the rest of us. I could go back and post some of those comments like I did in the past to embarrass some of you like I have in the past but I will be nice for now.:D

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The way Sullivan is doing the goalies brings me back to my rage of how he dealt with Murray, back when he was still fixable.

Murray was getting lobs and they were giving Niemi the hard games, you give your starter as many starts in a row until he gets into his groove, then you rotate. But when you panic rotate right away, now you've f***ed up your goalie's ability to find his groove, Jarry sat for so long that he's basically marinating in his bad games and not getting a chance to play out of it properly. Even the Senators didn't f*** with Murray when teams were essentially scoring f***ing touch downs on him. He's starting to straighten his game out, allowing 4 goals in 2 games total, which is a far cry from what he was doing before.

Jarry hasn't been good, but he can be, to play him like you don't trust him, does him no good and Sullivan pulled that shit with Murray until it became a shtick with him and he had to go and get a fresh start elsewhere, both sides at that point needed to separate and get gone.

So now here we are. I can't stand the GDT's with the usual whining, but that one...

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino