Post-Game Talk: Islanders 4, Penguins 3 - Well That Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Again I haven't disagreed with needing a coaching change but not going to rush into it either. This team will be within striking range at the halfway point and that gives the new GM time to evaluate the team more and find the right coaching fit. We won in 2009 and 2016 by making the right choice at the midpoint and I think even in this shortened season that is fine to do unless we start falling back far from that 4th seed which I don't think we will do unless the injuries keep coming and if that is the case I won't blame the coach.

My point still stands that the reactionary fans on this HF Boards would of destroyed any chances of Cups with their mentality. Go back and read the threads from 2009 and 2016 during those seasons many of you guys wanted to tank for a lottery pick and trade off players. Obviously we only needed some new blood in the coaching spot and some trades at the deadline to win Cups. The point is the sky is falling posters on these boards would be the worst GM's ever yet they constantly criticize ownership and Rutherford who brought you several Cups. Those posters just don't realize what a joke that is to the rest of us. I could go back and post some of those comments like I did in the past to embarrass some of you like I have in the past but I will be nice for now.:D
But what’s the use in digging a bigger hole? Why are you giving this clown another day to coach? He’s been a giant turd for almost almost 3 years now; this really isn’t reactionary at this point.

If you were advocating for trading Malkin or Jake, that would be reactionary. But when someone has sucked at their job for just about 3 years, it’s common sense to get them out of here. It’s terrible and negligent to allow this guy to still coach this team.

Should we wait to see if Sully can turn Rodrigues and ZAR into first line wingers?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Usually you're a Letang defender, so at least this take isn't in bad faith.

But Letang was good last night for 99% of the game, I fail to see how the loss is on him. Especially when he finished +2

Because he made a critical mistake at the worst time that cost them the game.

He is suppose to be their #1 and be a rock they can rely on that stabilizes the team.

POJ is suppose to make that mistake, not 33 year old Letang.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
But what’s the use in digging a bigger hole? Why are you giving this clown another day to coach? He’s been a giant turd for almost almost 3 years now; this really isn’t reactionary at this point.

If you were advocating for trading Malkin or Jake, that would be reactionary. But when someone has sucked at their job for just about 3 years, it’s common sense to get them out of here. It’s terrible and negligent to allow this guy to still coach this team.

What don't you get that the procedure is to first get a GM and he than analyzes the team and what it needs and then makes the proper decisions that he believes are needed. You don't hire a new coach before a GM and you certainly don't rush the decision because you are only going to get one shot at fixing this properly. You make the wrong GM choice this team is done. That GM rushes the coaching choice and picks the wrong fit and this team is done. Wanting to rush into this is why I am glad the arm chair GM's are not in charge because we literally would of had any Cups with that mentality.

I apologise for my tone in advance. I get annoyed easily and it is something I need to work on. Patience is not my strong suit.:(

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Based off 6 games? POJ would be making mistakes all over the ice if he took Letang's workload.

Just ask Marino.
Marino was looking awful to start the season on the 2nd pairing where he's been since last season, has nothing to do with workload. More to do with lack of structure defensively, lack of a proper training cap, no pre-season games, everyone is out of sorts for the most part. But the Pens defensive structure has been slowly unravelling for a while. This time, they don't have Martin's trap style to fall back on when things get sketchy. Which is fine, but you need a new structure in place, Reirden hasn't had enough time or whatever he's trying to propose isn't working, or a possible 3rd option - the coach doesn't want to employ it.

But Marino looked pretty awful as a whole this season, the time off should hopefully bring him back with a better game, he seemed better vs the Islanders.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

He is suppose to be their #1 and be a rock they can rely on that stabilizes the team.

Letang and Dumoulin have been making horrible rookie mistakes for the last 2 seasons, more glaringly than our usual gripes about them, more so Letang in that regard, but Dumoulin is a new contender for being f***ing horrid at times and his has been more consistent over the last season and a bit.

But this head office thinks that core with those two included, can still win something. So let's watch this slowly raging dumpster fire build up bigger flames. You can't keep that many core members that are aging out, you keep the most necessary ones - the big 2 down the middle. Because the "aging" core is really Sid, Geno, Letang, and Dumo.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Marino was looking awful to start the season on the 2nd pairing where he's been since last season, has nothing to do with workload. More to do with lack of structure defensively, lack of a proper training cap, no pre-season games, everyone is out of sorts for the most part. But the Pens defensive structure has been slowly unravelling for a while. This time, they don't have Martin's trap style to fall back on when things get sketchy. Which is fine, but you need a new structure in place, Reirden hasn't had enough time or whatever he's trying to propose isn't working, or a possible 3rd option - the coach doesn't want to employ it.

But Marino looked pretty awful as a whole this season, the time off should hopefully bring him back with a better game, he seemed better vs the Islanders.

He did, But also his Ozone play is very concerning. He needs to show that offense that he shown last season. He is just grenading pucks at the moment. The only guy Pressuring the play is POJ, and now Letang with him back.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Letang and Dumoulin have been making horrible rookie mistakes for the last 2 seasons, more glaringly than our usual gripes about them, more so Letang in that regard, but Dumoulin is a new contender for being f***ing horrid at times and his has been more consistent over the last season and a bit.

But this head office thinks that core with those two included, can still win something. So let's watch this slowly raging dumpster fire build up bigger flames. You can't keep that many core members that are aging out, you keep the most necessary ones - the big 2 down the middle. Because the "aging" core is really Sid, Geno, Letang, and Dumo.

When I brought up trading Dumo in Sept, you would have thought I was talking about moving Crosby with how people flipped out.

I just suspect the combo of his contract and rep as a two time champion as a top pairing guy, would land some considerable pieces that would help speed up this rebuild.. or retool or whatever the f*** the brass want to delude themselves into thinking it is.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
When I brought up trading Dumo in Sept, you would have thought I was talking about moving Crosby with how people flipped out.

I just suspect the combo of his contract and rep as a two time champion as a top pairing guy, would land some considerable pieces that would help speed up this rebuild.. or retool or whatever the f*** the brass want to delude themselves into thinking it is.

Id have agreed with you

Dumo had been fading and looked like he was permabroke coming back from that injury. Still had some of those good defensive stats like Simon and ZAR though.

It's continued to not look good. So. Damn.

Reactions: ncm7772

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

That's it, people are clamoring for a timely save from Jarry, but don't even talk about the players in front making timely plays to wash away high danger chances.

Like you said, Letang is the experienced defender. He had two choices there, 1.) decide to coverup for his partner and get there quickly and call for the switch. Not something that's never been done before. He easily could have been there first. 2.) Just layup as he was first doing and just take the front of the net and close off CC from being able to get the puck. or drop down preventing it from coming in front and wait for help.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Yeah I was pissed off when he started last season when he was supposed to be out, he rushed back, if you can find the discussion leading up to that 1st game, you can see one of my usual ornery posts but directed at Dumoulin for rushing back for the start of the season and making an injury he could properly heal from into a lingering one, then of course, the bloke breaks his ankle. So he was already meh to start, then just got even worse with the ankle and has continued that torrid pace of being trash this season.

But teams that are close to being contenders if they add some D depth (twss), would covet someone like Dumoulin.

Even if you can send him to the Leafs for Dermott and some picks, you can then flip that for something else.

Id have agreed with you

Dumo had been fading and looked like he was permabroke coming back from that injury. Still had some of those good defensive stats like Simon and ZAR though.

It's continued to not look good. So. Damn.
They can't sit on their hands when this team should at least move one of the issues and right now, Dumoulin is one of them. If Letang is mistake prone you can't have the one bloke that used to cover for him, making even worse ones.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Again I haven't disagreed with needing a coaching change but not going to rush into it either. This team will be within striking range at the halfway point and that gives the new GM time to evaluate the team more and find the right coaching fit.
i'm sure every one of the candidates have all ready started to watch film on the pen's maybe even reading some scouting reports. (wouldn't hire any one who wouldn't ) they will have a very good idea of what is needed and a plane to implement it. the only thing that may take some time would be getting a new coach to see the job through.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Based off 6 games? POJ would be making mistakes all over the ice if he took Letang's workload.

Just ask Marino.

Marino's issues have nothing to do with workload. Neither will Josephs, if he's got any. They're young and not fully mature. They're still more responsible than Letang.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He did, But also his Ozone play is very concerning. He needs to show that offense that he shown last season. He is just grenading pucks at the moment. The only guy Pressuring the play is POJ, and now Letang with him back.
Well the funny thing is this, Marino wasn't known for his offense. He was known for his stabilizing play, playing with an offensive defenseman and being the Dumoulin of his pairing (back when we can say Dumoulin could do that). So last year, he was just riding high with confidence and doing things that was surprising us. Not to say he can't do that again, but his defense isn't good right now which isn't normal of him and I would rather he focused on that first and the rest will fall back into place. He's trying to fix both sides of his game and is forcing mistakes, being out of position, making decisions hastily in the offensive zone.

Which is why if you put him with an OFD on the left side, Marino goes back to Marino in College, the stabilizing defensive partner that hangs back a little.

You want to fix someone? Make them rely on the thing that got them there, it's something that is natural to them and easier for them to get into a pattern of fixing.

Reactions: The Old Master

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You want to fix someone? Make them rely on the thing that got them there, it's something that is natural to them and easier for them to get into a pattern of fixing.

You just summed up perfectly right here why I don't much trust and in fact actively dislike the majority of NHL coaches.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Well the funny thing is this, Marino wasn't known for his offense. He was known for his stabilizing play, playing with an offensive defenseman and being the Dumoulin of his pairing (back when we can say Dumoulin could do that). So last year, he was just riding high with confidence and doing things that was surprising us. Not to say he can't do that again, but his defense isn't good right now which isn't normal of him and I would rather he focused on that first and the rest will fall back into place. He's trying to fix both sides of his game and is forcing mistakes, being out of position, making decisions hastily in the offensive zone.

Which is why if you put him with an OFD on the left side, Marino goes back to Marino in College, the stabilizing defensive partner that hangs back a little.

that would take a coach.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That's it, people are clamoring for a timely save from Jarry, but don't even talk about the players in front making timely plays to wash away high danger chances.

Like you said, Letang is the experienced defender. He had two choices there, 1.) decide to coverup for his partner and get there quickly and call for the switch. Not something that's never been done before. He easily could have been there first. 2.) Just layup as he was first doing and just take the front of the net and close off CC from being able to get the puck. or drop down preventing it from coming in front and wait for help.

If I’m POJ I wouldn’t even be able to fathom why my partner would call for a switch there.

It is even more confounding that Letang did something that dumb playing with a rookie.

You would think he would be more conservative and less potato heady... but no.. nope.

Reactions: KIRK

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Look Willy, any coach can put a plug that reminds them of themselves into the top 6 for no reason, but making that plug a ... 10 goal scorer is the thing that earns you a Jack Adams.

Hahaha right?

"Listen I know the team invested a rather high draft pick in you because of your numbers... multiple 30+ goal seasons, PPG in junior, some nice mitts etc etc. That's real swell and all but if you're gonna hack it HERE you'd better get used to playing maybe 6 minutes a night with absolutely horrible linemates that can't help you even a little and chip that puck down the boards every time you manage to get up ice. But I swear to christ if you don't somehow simultaneously produce offense I am gluing your ass to the bench, get it? So bench if you play too much to your natural strengths and also bench if you don't put up the numbers expected of you due to your draft position. Simple, right? And cut your f***ing hair."

And on and on and on...

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If I’m POJ I wouldn’t even be able to fathom why my partner would call for a switch there.

It is even more confounding that Letang did something that dumb playing with a rookie.

You would think he would be more conservative and less potato heady... but no.. nope.

I've seen Letang and Dumo do that enough times where Dumo got beat, but they played together and probably don't need to call for it. Muscle memory knowing each other.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That would I would do is wrong or that what I stated (what you quote) is something they don't do enough?

I'm a bit worried you may have just had a stroke but I was agreeing with you haha -- in that coaches seem allergic to allowing players, especially young players, use what got them there unless of course they "pay their dues" first. Which... is a whole other thing.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I've seen Letang and Dumo do that enough times where Dumo got beat, but they played together and probably don't need to call for it. Muscle memory knowing each other.

Well when he was asked about the play, POJ literally said “it’s tough to get inside someone’s head”, which is basically “I had no clue what the f*** he was doing there”.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I may be off, but it appears they are improving slightly from game to game, and if you look at previous slow starts, along with Crosby/Malkin not having hit full stride (lack of training camp, etc.) along with the injuries and turnover (coaches and players), it is plausible this team could go on a run and possibly turn it around. Remember 2015-2016 season, no one expected it to end the way it did. Go Pens!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So Tristan Jarry has a friggin .857 save percentage and people are like "dOn'T BlAme TeH GoAlerz!"

I had no idea it was that bad. The worst defense ever conceived doesn't explain that away. An entire defense of Jack Johnsons and Ian Morans don't explain that away. This fanbase is weird about it's goaltenders.

He didn't steal MAF's job, thus, he's not vilified. In fact, he's a deity because he stole the job of the guy who drove Fleury out of Pittsburgh.

Reactions: ncm7772
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->