Player Discussion Isac Lundestrom

Jagge11

Dec 13, 2018
Swedish northern news site has an article behind a paywall
https://www.nsd.se/nm5110084
I can see that is says "Isac Lundeström has been out of the AHL team San Diego Gulls team the last two games. Now the players agent tells that it's because..."

Dammit, cliffhanger...
Now Lundestrom's agent tells us that it was because of an injury.
- He has a little strain only, right now he's doing some rehab. Hopefully he is back for the weekend so it's nothing serious, says agent Martin Nilsson.

Reactions: Magnus the Duck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
1 thing I really like about him is positionally in neutral zone and defense end he always seems to be in the right areas.... his offensive game obviously needs work and prob the main reason hell spend a lot of time in san diego… but everything else about him is pretty much NHL level quality.

Oddly enough last year when I saw him, he had a lot more offensive skill than he was given credit for.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'll be very happy if Lundestrom turns into Sami Pahlsson which seems more likely than him turning into a 2C or 1C or high end 3C.

Reactions: JabbaJabba
Oct 18, 2011
I think he's going to be a very good number 3 center, which would be great if Zegras and Steel can solidify themselves as top 2 guys

I worry that we're rushing him though, the only way he's going to cultivate whatever offensive talent he has is in lower leagues...should be playing 20 minutes a game in SD

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think he's going to be a very good number 3 center, which would be great if Zegras and Steel can solidify themselves as top 2 guys

I worry that we're rushing him though, the only way he's going to cultivate whatever offensive talent he has is in lower leagues...should be playing 20 minutes a game in SD

Lundy proved he was an offensive machine once he was returned to SHL team. He went back to a system he's been in a couple of years and simply excel. The North American ice is new to him as well as being moved around between NHL and AHL systems. Lundy isn't being rushed to be rushed, he's being rushed only due to injuries. That's what happened last year. That's what is happening this season so far. If Steel was healthy, then Lundy is in the AHL. In fact, that's where Lundy was to begin the season. The org did see something odd recently, which was why Shore started at center over Lundy in the last game.

IMO, Lundy lacks confidence on NA ice. At only 19 years old, he's got time to become re-adjusted and hopefully taps back into that offensive scoring like he did last year when he was returned to his SHL team.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
He never reached even 30 points in the NHL. A high end 3C reaches 40 to 50 points with great 2 way defense.

Pahlsson's highest scoring season was 26 points in 06/07. In that season, 141 forwards scored 40+ points. There were 180 top six forwards in the NHL. Thus, 40-50 points wasn't something you'd expect from a third line player. Not then and not now.

He was a selke finalist and a lock for the Swedish Olympic team twice. As a pending UFA, he fetched a return of James Wisniewski and a B level prospect (Petri Kontiola). And later he signed three year contract worth nearly $8 mil with Columbus when the salary cap was $53 mil. That's the equivalent of being payed $4.1 mil PER YEAR in todays market.

In other words, Pahlsson in his prime was pretty clearly regarded as a high end third line center.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Pahlsson's highest scoring season was 26 points in 06/07. In that season, 141 forwards scored 40+ points. There were 180 top six forwards in the NHL. Thus, 40-50 points wasn't something you'd expect from a third line player. Not then and not now.

He was a selke finalist and a lock for the Swedish Olympic team twice. As a pending UFA, he fetched a return of James Wisniewski and a B level prospect (Petri Kontiola). And later he signed three year contract worth nearly $8 mil with Columbus when the salary cap was $53 mil. That's the equivalent of being payed $4.1 mil PER YEAR in todays market.

In other words, Pahlsson in his prime was pretty clearly regarded as a high end third line center.

Unless your "second line" is your shutdown line (Cogs-Kesler-Silf) in which case Kesler (or Pahlsson) was a second line center. The 2 vs. 3 argument is silly as is evaluating a shutdown forward based on the number of points he scored. This year, the ducks Grantzlaf line is playing a shut down roll and is getting more ice time than the other lines. Is that a first line or fourth? Again, the rankings are silly.

If Lundestrom becomes as useful a player as Phalsson was, then he will be very valuable regardless of what line he's on.

Reactions: pbgoalie

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
If Lundestrom
Became a Pahlsson

I’d be thrilled
Sami’s value was incredibly high, especially in the playoffs

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Whoa. If Lundestrom is returning to Anaheim for training camp, then other Ducks across should be making their way too, right? That would be Larsson and Andersson from the same league as Isac as well as Hunter Drew in Slovakia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad