Player Discussion Isac Lundestrom

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The way everyone talks, Lundestrom is apparently a sure thing instant star once he gets to Anaheim. I don't agree - he's a long road to reach stardom.

Yeah I don't really see the overhype you're alluding to, maybe try quoting specific posts you disagree with? Most seem to agree that with his physical tools and IQ he has a pretty high floor - and that his scoring ability will dictate his ceiling.

When you get an 18 year old center outside of the top 10, who is able to step right in and hold their own at the highest level, it's usually a sign you've landed a guy who will end up being at least a quality NHL player. I don't see anyone claiming future superstar.

Your comment about him not being here already certainly made no sense at all.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
to play that way with a broken rib is pretty impressive.

also if he's fully committed to coming over now next season then thats a positive sign. i think he'll do well here and i'd personally like to see him in the AHL i think for at least half the season

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Yeah, just leave him be in the SHL where it's a more structured environment. This year was a whirlwind for him. From SHL to WJC to NHL to AHL to SHL in less than a year, I believe.
I'd like to see him in the AHL where he is put into a more developmental role focused on improving his scoring. Give him our two best, most skilled and creative wingers down there and give him prime pp usage and see what he can make of it. I'm afraid in the SHL they'll use him more for what he is good at (defensive 2 way center) rather than try ot develop him.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'd like to see him in the AHL where he is put into a more developmental role focused on improving his scoring. Give him our two best, most skilled and creative wingers down there and give him prime pp usage and see what he can make of it. I'm afraid in the SHL they'll use him more for what he is good at (defensive 2 way center) rather than try ot develop him.

I'm sorry, but you think his SHL club isn't trying to develop him? His SHL club and the Ducks scouting (Marchant) have the same goal for Isac - shoot more. What's nice about Isac being in the SHL is he can't get recalled by the NHL club so readily b/c his talent will push him up into the NHL, but then it's 2018 all over again of being moved around and be pushed to the NHL b/c his defensive talent is already better than most.

So no. Let him stay in the system that already knows who he is and continue in that consistency. It's easier to improve from where you know you are than in an environment where it's always a feeling out stage.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I could of swore I've read people saying the SHL utilizes players in the best interests of the SHL team, without regard for the development of the player's future NHL team. Which makes perfect sense since they are a professional league with teams trying to win. They are not a development league just because their very best players do leave.

Edit: Obviously guys who will make a career out of the SHL would be viewed and utilized with more of an eye for development.

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I could of swore I've read people saying the SHL utilizes players in the best interests of the SHL team, without regard for the development of the player's future NHL team. Which makes perfect sense since they are a professional league with teams trying to win. They are not a development league just because their very best players do leave.

Edit: Obviously guys who will make a career out of the SHL would be viewed and utilized with more of an eye for development.

Yeah you’re right, they do utilize players in the best interest of the club, just like the NHL and KHL they’re not a development league. In Lundestroms case though the SHL is giving him every opportunity to develop as he is playing a prominent role on his team.

Reactions: Vipers31

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

Thanks for backing me up here. I've literally never watched an SHL game but always hear how it isnt abdevelopment league and they are more interested in winning than developing. Makes sense to me. Why would they focus on his development over winning? In the AHL there is actually a reason.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Yeah you’re right, they do utilize players in the best interest of the club, just like the NHL and KHL they’re not a development league. In Lundestroms case though the SHL is giving him every opportunity to develop as he is playing a prominent role on his team.
Well I havent seen him play and don't know what the. coaches are telling him so I cant say but I will say a developmental system will encourage him to try to make more plays even at the detriment of the team. That's how he learns.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Well I havent seen him play and don't know what the. coaches are telling him so I cant say but I will say a developmental system will encourage him to try to make more plays even at the detriment of the team. That's how he learns.

He’s getting PP time and lots of ES minutes and has been producing at a decent rate. He’s definitely benefiting from his current role.

Reactions: Masch78

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
Sure SHL is all about winning, maybe even more than NHL as you can be relegated to 2nd tier Allsvenskan. Every team is always giving 100% throughout the season, there’s no such thing as dressing a B-team or selling off assets when missing the playoff.

But with regards to Lundestrom, he’s had a very offensive role within the team, not getting shut down duties but not being overly sheltered either. Lots of time in #1 PP, not many minutes of PK. The one thing defensively he’s been dealing with is playing center with two defensively rather mediocre wingers (one a nifty technician the other a big power forward). So basically he’s sort of been the responsible guy on that line.

In any case, he’ll most probably do just fine next season, either as 1-2C in AHL or 3-4C in NHL. I really don’t know what scenario will benefit him the most long term but he can do both right out of the box. I’d not expect him to do 70+ points seasons in NHL for several years, but you never know. It depends on the team mates, and he’d fit well in a line with high scoring offensive wingers (like now in SHL) and could then reach very good stats. He’s more Zetterberg than Backstrom, but if he reaches any of them just isn’t possible to foresee right now. At worst he’ll become a new Pahlsson, although a different type of player.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Regardless of whether it's a developmental league or not, just like the nhl, players do develop there, on purpose. I mean we literally send prospects there specifically because they'll develop better there than in the AHL.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

While I have a bit of a grin on my face after seeing that, one has to wonder if Lundy can pull some of those moves off in the NHL, given that space is limited in the small rink and that the pace of the game is completely different.

Gotta love how he just shook off a couple of guys in the corners though. Definitely impressive, also something that should translate into the NHL.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Gotta love how he just shook off a couple of guys in the corners though. Definitely impressive, also something that should translate into the NHL.
There's a lot of good to say about Lundestrom in that video, but even out of the corners and in the open ice, his puck control under pressure was really impressive. He may not be able to pull off the moves he did, but he's got the tools to be a pretty damn solid possession player in the NHL.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Should use his linemates more but he reminds me of Nathan MacKinnon the way he skates, dangles and how powerful he seems to be. Still a work in progress but he looked great in one of the best men's league in the world.

Quackenator

Mar 6, 2018
Poulsbo, Wa
any updates on his status? looks like he's no longer on the gulls roster which leads me to believe there was an injury last series but i cant find anything. also long time reader but figure i should start making comments

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
any updates on his status? looks like he's no longer on the gulls roster which leads me to believe there was an injury last series but i cant find anything. also long time reader but figure i should start making comments

Swedish northern news site has an article behind a paywall
https://www.nsd.se/nm5110084
I can see that is says "Isac Lundeström has been out of the AHL team San Diego Gulls team the last two games. Now the players agent tells that it's because..."

Dammit, cliffhanger...

Reactions: Hank84
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

You mean off the Gulls website? I don't think he was ever re-added, Comtois isn't on there either, yet Eaves still is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->