Is YouTube Done? (MOD Warning - See post #193)

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Oh my bad, I meant in our country as of today. I fully acknowledge that it existed in the past.

If you are actually interested in learning about that kind of stuff, I would recommend stopping by the political board. This is not the place for that kind of discussion.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's Philip DeFranco, though.

Do I even need to bother?

Nope. They're all deathly afraid of calling out bad behavior, even though said behavior jeopardizes the entire platform. Nobody was willing to distance themselves from JonTron, and what he did was way, way worse.

"It's just a word" they say, yet they revolt at the notion of being called a racist, also something that's "just a word."

Sums it up.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
My understanding is a lot of big youtubers won't step away from guys like PDP because of the boost in fans they got from associating with him and what may happen if those fans feel they slighted him. But they are missing the fact YouTube's ability to make ad revenue is hindered when guys like him are in the spotlight and do these things.

Did they not learn from the adpocalypse?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'm not sure if PewDiePie is a racist, he might be. But my own theory is that hes just another kid thats a product of the south park generation. A kid that watched a cartoon where jews are evil and gingers don't have souls, and thought it was funny, because it was, because it actually had subtlety, and nuance, and it was making fun of the racist. Unfortunately these kids go on the playground and take the completely wrong message and bully the ginger or jewish kid or scream the nword into the mic like mrblazeit420xXx

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
The advertisers haven't pulled ad revenue over rap music and stand-up comedy clips that use the n-word and doubt the advertisers will pull ad revenue over this.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
It's Philip DeFranco, though.

Do I even need to bother?

Nope. They're all deathly afraid of calling out bad behavior, even though said behavior jeopardizes the entire platform. Nobody was willing to distance themselves from JonTron, and what he did was way, way worse.

"It's just a word" they say, yet they revolt at the notion of being called a racist, also something that's "just a word."

Sums it up.

So neither of you like objective reporting?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The advertisers haven't pulled ad revenue over rap music and stand-up comedy clips that use the n-word and doubt the advertisers will pull ad revenue over this.

Well some did in response to Wall Street Journal slamming PewDiePie for the poorly conceived anti semitic goof he did, then another WSJ reporter dug through youtube until he could find a racist rant video that had monetizable ads on it. Instead of calling attention to YouTube to take care of that channel which was more of an aberration than the rule (how many youtubers can you find making rant videos that they were demonetized just for mentioning sex or a swear word?), the author paints YouTube as financing hate and there was another wave of advertisers that pulled out. Yeah, plenty of offenses get ignored under different contexts but PewDiePie could really hurt the platform if advertisers see fit to stay out of what they view as a toxic medium.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
HanSolo, were you able to access the article in which you are talking about? From my recollection nobody here was able to get past the paywall and was only discussing what they heard from it.

So neither of you like objective reporting?

Philip DeFranco?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
HanSolo, were you able to access the article in which you are talking about? From my recollection nobody here was able to get past the paywall and was only discussing what they heard from it.

Philip DeFranco?

No...I guess I'm still running on Ethan Klein from H3H3's allegations about the article. But I generally trust him even though he has defended PDP in the past (though he's collaborated with him and at the time PDP didn't have such a spotty history so I don't think H3H3 should be discredited for doing so).

In any case it did seem like the post PDP WSJ slam of YouTube for the racist monetization video had a significant effect on monetization on the entire platform. And the author took to twitter to relish in the fact that he had such an impact.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Oh my bad, I meant in our country as of today. I fully acknowledge that it existed in the past.

Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
PewDiePie and his actions will just bring regulations that will change Youtube forever and not in a good way.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
"Racist" as a term doesn't even mean what it's supposed to mean anymore. If you say the n-word in the wrong context, you're automatically racist now. It's ridiculous. The word has been stripped of all meaning. If anyone who ever uttered or thought a racial slur is racist, literally everyone would be racist.

With that said, Pewdiepie is an absolute moron with no self-control for saying this. And I say that as an admitted "fan." I was totally with him with the faux-Nazi witch hunt a couple months ago, but this is inexcusable. He deserves all the **** coming his way for this one.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
"Racist" as a term doesn't even mean what it's supposed to mean anymore. If you say the n-word in the wrong context, you're automatically racist now. It's ridiculous. The word has been stripped of all meaning. If anyone who ever uttered or thought a racial slur is racist, literally everyone would be racist.

With that said, Pewdiepie is an absolute moron with no self-control for saying this. And I say that as an admitted "fan." I was totally with him with the faux-Nazi witch hunt a couple months ago, but this is inexcusable. He deserves all the **** coming his way for this one.
I mean he literally used a racial slur as an insult. It's not like he was repeating it as a "this what this other person said" or reasonably discussing the word and just not saying the n word, which I actually agree shouldn't be taoo.

Using a racial slur against someone is a pretty strong signal that you are prejudiced against that particular race. That insult is not even a common catch all insult like gay or other stuff is. It's pretty unusual to say that.

Im not saying he's a racist but that's a pretty weird hill to take the "the word racist is now meaningless" stance on.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I mean he literally used a racial slur as an insult. It's not like he was repeating it as a "this what this other person said" or reasonably discussing the word and just not saying the n word, which I actually agree shouldn't be taoo.

Using a racial slur against someone is a pretty strong signal that you are prejudiced against that particular race. That insult is not even a common catch all insult like gay or other stuff is. It's pretty unusual to say that.

Im not saying he's a racist but that's a pretty weird hill to take the "the word racist is now meaningless" stance on.

I don't know. I understand your point, but this is all so subjective. A true racist to me is someone who actively believes one race is superior to another, or someone who denigrates an individual or group based solely on race.

Using a racial slur as a catch all insult doesn't necessarily denote real racism. If Pewdiepie knew the person he was insulting was black, and that black identity was the crux of his insult, then that's far more damning.

I hang out with a pretty diverse group of guys, including black guys, and the n-word has been used interchangeably with the f-word (bundle of sticks), c-word, p-word, *****, and all other kinds of racist/homophobic/sexist insults, especially when competing with one another. And we're in our 30s.

I think the context here is pretty harmless. But then again, my black buddy thought the context was over the line. So maybe I'm wrong and lack proper perspective on this.

We both agreed, though, that labeling Pewdiepie an actual racist because he called some faceless, nameless video game player an n-word is a bit absurd.

That's what I mean by "racist" having been stripped of critical meaning. "Racism" should mean a lot more than "casual, self aware prejudice every human being on planet earth is born with."

And it's incidents like these which strip the word of meaning. If Pewdiepie is a racist, what does that make David Duke, or the white supremacists in Charlottesville? The "hyperbole creep" in our language restricts effective, salient communication.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
PDP could very well be a racist underneath. He gets accused of this because most of us (people who are not racist) don't instinctively use the n word when trying to insult someone.

Is he a racist? I don't know. But it doesn't help the "not a racist" argument with his track record. And the David Duke comparison is silly because there are different kinds of racist people with different racist tendencies and different degrees of racism. Just because he isn't a literal white supremacist doesn't absolve him from being accused of racism.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00