Is YouTube Done? (MOD Warning - See post #193)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I agree that it's subjective, but subjectively, this is definitely one case that's HARD to dismiss as merely something that somebody says innocently. I don't even mean using the word as an angry insult, as ArGarBarGar pointed out, because there are cases of those that can come across naturally without perceived intent, IMO.

But just the matter of fact way he says it. "What a n*****." I don't think that's a culturally conditioned phrase that you could imagine randomly slipping out..... Unless he grew up listening to disproportionately racist people talk, at the very least.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
PDP could very well be a racist underneath. He gets accused of this because most of us (people who are not racist) don't instinctively use the n word when trying to insult someone.

Is he a racist? I don't know. But it doesn't help the "not a racist" argument with his track record. And the David Duke comparison is silly because there are different kinds of racist people with different racist tendencies and different degrees of racism. Just because he isn't a literal white supremacist doesn't absolve him from being accused of racism.

Do you not see a problem with our language surrounding this issue when both Pewdiepie and David Duke fall under the same blanket label of "racist"?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I agree that it's subjective, but subjectively, this is definitely one case that's HARD to dismiss as merely something that somebody says innocently. I don't even mean using the word as an angry insult, as ArGarBarGar pointed out, because there are cases of those that can come across naturally without perceived intent, IMO.

But just the matter of fact way he says it. "What a n*****." I don't think that's a culturally conditioned phrase that you could imagine randomly slipping out..... Unless he grew up listening to disproportionately racist people talk, at the very least.

I'd think that one person dropping the n word isn't necessarily racist or even much of an issue, the problem is when it becomes normalized and you get kids all over the place saying it. And herein lies the problem: this guy has millions of viewers, most of them probably in the younger impressionable age. He a media personality he has a responsibility not to say racist **** because it's probably going to cause a whole lot of copycats.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Are they done? No, but I could see less content creators if Pewdiepie and other similar folks take their content to a competitor. What's out there? I can only think of Vidme as a reasonable option.

As for the whole situation, the boy did mess up and was a man enough to apologize for it. But let's be clear here, intend matters, him saying the N word does not make him a racist nor does it prove anything. Many people out there throw the word around like a piece of cake and get freebies.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Are they done? No, but I could see less content creators if Pewdiepie and other similar folks take their content to a competitor. What's out there? I can only think of Vidme as a reasonable option.

As for the whole situation, the boy did mess up and was a man enough to apologize for it. But let's be clear here, intend matters, him saying the N word does not make him a racist nor does it prove anything. Many people out there throw the word around like a piece of cake and get freebies.

Like who?

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Like who?

Well, let's just say that a whole music genre is pretty much filled with it, even if most end it with an A rather than R, it's still the same word. You also have plenty of comedians that bring it up regularly. If we're so hung up by the word, why not crucify every single rapper or comedian that uses it? Very simple, it's the intend that matters. Take this or example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF1NUposXVQ

Then take this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoLPLsQbdt0

There's a clear difference there, that's besides the point that pewdiepie himself admitted that what he said was a mistake and apologized for it. I have no reason to label the man a racist until I have proper proof.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Well, let's just say that a whole music genre is pretty much filled with it, even if most end it with an A rather than R, it's still the same word. You also have plenty of comedians that bring it up regularly. If we're so hung up by the word, why not crucify every single rapper or comedian that uses it? Very simple, it's the intend that matters. Take this or example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF1NUposXVQ

Then take this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoLPLsQbdt0

There's a clear difference there, that's besides the point that pewdiepie himself admitted that what he said was a mistake and apologized for it. I have no reason to label the man a racist until I have proper proof.

You don't get to decide how a community decides to re-appropriate a word that was is used to slur them. That's incredibly dumb. If they see fit to use it, then they should and you don't get to point fingers and claim that some white Swedish guy should be able to use it because African-Americans use it. And you do have a reason to label him a racist. You just choose not to. Personally, I'm not willing to say with certainty whether he's a racist or not but he certainly does lean more towards one side than the other. He said it in such a casual way that you can't help but be disconcerted by it.

Last edited:

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
You don't get to decide how a community decides to re-appropriate a word that was is used to slur them. That's incredibly dumb. If they see fit to use it, then they should and you don't get to point fingers and claim that some white Swedish guy should be able to use it because African-Americans use it.

Well my take on this is I don't get to decide anything, it's not my business to control what you say just as it's not your business to control what I say. I have an opinion and you can choose to agree or disagree with it.

I believe in freedom of speech, and in such environments any word can upset anybody. For example there are people that get very offended if you used a certain word which is derogatory to disabled people , this is specially the case if you come across someone who has someone like that in their family. You also have another derogatory word that upsets homosexuals. My point is people are gonna mess up and make mistakes. In general I advise everyone to clean up their language and try their best, but if they screw up (Which happens to everyone), it does not mean they're racist, sexist, homophobes, or whatever.

You just choose not to. Personally, I'm not willing to say with certainty whether he's a racist or not but he certainly does lean more towards one side than the other. He said it in such a casual way that you can't help but be disconcerted by it.

Because there's no clear proof, that's why I choose not to label someone something they are or not unless I'm 100% certain. This kind of crap is why innocent ppl end up spending time in jail.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I can get behind that sentiment but I absolutely resent the '' But THEY say it too! '' argument that always comes out of the mouth of what tends to be white folks. Whether or not it's used in rap music is immaterial. And I do think the casual way in which he said it wasn't a simple mistake but something that seemed interiorized and he slipped. Not like he flipped his **** and said it in anger.

Last edited:

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I can get behind that sentiment but I absolutely resent the '' But THEY say it too! '' argument that always comes out of the mouth of what tends to be white folks. Whether or not it's used in rap music is immaterial. And I do think the casual way in which he said it wasn't a simple mistake but something that seemed interiorized and he slipped. Not like he flipped his **** and said it in anger.

Ok, well that's your opinion, not a fact.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Absolutely. But would you disagree? If so, why?

Well I don't know pewdiepie to say whether I agree/disagree, but I have come across plenty of people throughout my life that have used the word and other derogatory words multiple times in the "heat of the moment", but adore things that the Afro-American community produces from music, to clothing, to even as far as dating black women. What does that tell you?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
That doesn't stop them from being bigoted or racist. Just like having a black friend doesn't stop you from being bigoted or racist. Are you serious with this?

And you don't have to know someone personally to have an idea as to whether they're racist or not. That's ludicrous. I don't know Donald Trump personally but I don't need to to have any as to how he feels about minorities. I can have an idea by his words and actions.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Well I don't know pewdiepie to say whether I agree/disagree, but I have come across plenty of people throughout my life that have used the word and other derogatory words multiple times in the "heat of the moment", but adore things that the Afro-American community produces from music, to clothing, to even as far as dating black women. What does that tell you?

Holy ****.

Reactions: Carlzner

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Alright, time to scale things back to the issue at hand, with Youtube and the current issues it is facing.

The discussion focusing around race is getting way off the subject and is frankly going to lead to some even worse comments down the line.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Alright, time to scale things back to the issue at hand, with Youtube and the current issues it is facing.

The discussion focusing around race is getting way off the subject and is frankly going to lead to some even worse comments down the line.

Anyhow, I'll go back to the topic, not sure if it has been mentioned, but with Campo Santo filing a DMCA, it will be interesting to see how this plays out and if other developers follow a similar pattern. If such pattern goes through, it will hurt YouTube's gaming content traffic should these content creators take their business else where.

This alone won't hurt YT, but a number of these may very well does.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Youtube is trying so hard to cater to advertisers they are tanking their brand.

But perhaps in the end maybe it doesn't matter, since I don't know who could challenge them in the near future with regards to their "product".

Sep 19, 2008

. Basically Logan Paul put out a suicide video on YouTube from the Japanese suicide forest and it caused a stir in the last few days.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008

. Basically Logan Paul put out a suicide video on YouTube from the Japanese suicide forest and it caused a stir in the last few days.

Then tried to pass it off as "suicide awareness" or whatever. Despite the fact he was laughing about the incident and went to this forest wearing a silly f***ing hat.

Then his apology included a ton of self-promotion (look how many subscribers I have) and ended with a goddamn hashtag.

Youtube is going to put on a facade of caring about this issue, then it will be business as usual.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad