Is YouTube Done? (MOD Warning - See post #193)

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
The new trend now with people on YouTube is going over to Twitch. Twitch from what I'm seeing offers the ability to get paid more than on YouTube but they're more strict than YouTube.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
One of the more popular Youtube reactors Tyrone Magnus (who also plays games on it now), is apparently getting fed up with constant copyright claims among others from one gaming company (EA?) and one movie company (seems to hint at WB at the end) that he's going to delete his videos after one claim rather than fight them:

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
One of the more popular Youtube reactors Tyrone Magnus (who also plays games on it now), is apparently getting fed up with constant copyright claims among others from one gaming company (EA?) and one movie company (seems to hint at WB at the end) that he's going to delete his videos after one claim rather than fight them:

Reactor? I have never heard that word before and it annoys me nearly as much as 'influencer'.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Reactor? I have never heard that word before and it annoys me nearly as much as 'influencer'.

You never watch a trailer on youtube and notice half the suggestion videos are simply people 'reacting' to it? I've forgiven a lot of youtube culture but this is kind of crossing the line for me... I'm assuming it's basically reality TV distilled down to youtube's marked.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think the idea of "reactors" CAN work for me and seem interesting/worthwhile if it's basically like an extended review/analysis of something and the person is actually insightful, but yeah, what it is in reality is just soul-deadeningly depressing.

I sort of get the appeal in theory (after all, every time I get really into something, I immediately feel compelled to share it with everyone and await a response), more so than reality shows (which I never understood or related to), but that doesn't make actually exploiting that compulsion any less objectionable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I think the idea of "reactors" CAN work for me and seem interesting/worthwhile if it's basically like an extended review/analysis of something and the person is actually insightful, but yeah, what it is in reality is just soul-deadeningly depressing.

I sort of get the appeal in theory (after all, every time I get really into something, I immediately feel compelled to share it with everyone and await a response), more so than reality shows (which I never understood or related to), but that doesn't make actually exploiting that compulsion any less objectionable.

I love some reaction videos but I also think it is painfully obvious when the reactions are genuine and when the reactions are put on for the audience. Any channel who's entire purpose is to publish reaction videos sounds ridiculously boring to me.

I love watching the Nintendo Direct reactions from the NYC Nintendo store. And I will watch reaction trailers for big movies I am hyped about....and by big I mean specifically Infinity War.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think twitch is more dangerous
I despise the interactive aspect of Twitch. It's like... take the very worst aspects of reaction videos, make them beg and cater to lonely people who creepily pay them in exchange for a fabricated Geisha-like friendly relationship that the reactor awkwardly nods along to and indulges, to an audience who for some reason would rather watch that exchange instead of the actual reaction (somehow constantly distracting something that's already pretty shallow and valueless to begin with with something even more inane).

I kind of hate how audience interaction has hijacked entertainment in general, really. You watch someone be good at doing or expressing a thing to be able to watch them be good at that, not to watch them interact with people who aren't, as if they were equals.

If watching streams were just about gaining access to insightful and charming professionals I respect engaging a thing that I love for the first time with their undivided attention, and watching them piece it together and make sense of it in an extended blind review/commentary kind of way, while avoiding outside distractions, I would probably get a lot more out of it and see much more reason for that to exist (even though that's bound to come at the expense of THEIR experience).

Last edited:

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I'm sure if some company, Amazon's been rumored, pushes a "But It's Not YouTube" rival, people will go to the new service out of sheer spite to YouTube. Until the that rival appears, the giant really has nothing to fear right this minute.

Reactions: CPTN71

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I despise the interactive aspect of Twitch. It's like... take the very worst aspects of reaction videos, make them beg and cater to lonely people who creepily pay them in exchange for a fabricated Geisha-like friendly relationship that the reactor awkwardly nods along to and indulges, to an audience who for some reason would rather watch that exchange instead of the actual reaction (somehow constantly distracting something that's already pretty shallow and valueless to begin with with something even more inane).

I kind of hate how audience interaction has hijacked entertainment in general, really. You watch someone be good at doing or expressing a thing to be able to watch them be good at that, not to watch them interact with people who aren't, as if they were equals.

If streaming were just about gaining access to insightful and charming professionals I respect engaging a thing that I love for the first time with their undivided attention, and watching them piece it together and make sense of it in an extended blind review/commentary kind of way, while avoiding outside distractions, I would probably get a lot more out of it and see much more reason for that to exist (even though that's bound to come at the expense of THEIR experience).

even worse is you have the same thing happening in the adult industry as well with the explosion of cam girls and cam sites like chaturbate.

on the topic of reactors, Lost In Vegas is easily the best IMO.

They are true music fans (originally hip hop) who watch videos from other genres, but actually know their stuff. They dissect the songs musically and lyrically and actually evaluate each one. They dont just sit there and nod their heads for 3 min then shout a bunch of "that was dope!"

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

I've seen this guy show up in recommendations, but anything I have watched I didn't like. He seems like a creepy weirdo. Guess that was accurate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad