Is Tomas Plekanec underated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
All habs players are underrated and overrated at the same time.

Everytime someone note how well or bad is playing a hab, there are plenty of posters to point out the opposite. Then occur a build up effect, which transforms a "this-guy-is-a-good-passer" to "advanced-stats-shows-he's-better-than-Gretzky", or stuff like "he's-only-good-at-blocking-shots" to "he's-a-career-AHLer".

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal
Pleks is half the player of Bergeron and Kesler.

It's amazing how many times I heard Plek in the same category as Bergeron, I mean Patrice Bergeron is a Selke candidate, a Conn Smythe candidate, a Bill Masterton candidate, Plekanec is just a Molson Cup candidate for best Habs player of the month. Bergeron plays his heart in the playoffs, Plek is invisible.

C'mon Plekanec and Bergeron are not in the same category, they're not in the same universe.

Where did I say that Plekanec and Bergeron are the same player? I said they are similar because they play the same style of game: 2-way. C'mon guys. Read it as it is. Don't be a journalist.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Plekanec always reminds me of Patrick Sharp, in that Blackhawks fans were convinced Sharp had to be traded. The team didn't think that way at all and always valued him. Sharp now has two rings with the Blackhawks instead of being moved.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Plekanec is a frustrating player, his skill set is very good(skating,shooting) yet he is only good at a number of things and great at nothing. His faceoff percentage has always bothered me, I find myself yelling at the screen on his faceoffs sometimes. It's almost like in certain situations he isn't even trying on the faceoff. Either way a decision is going to have to be made on this guy soon. If galchy and DD end up being the 1 and 2 by the end of the year do you want a guy making 5mil as your 3rd line center....No is the answer

I know 5mil sounds alot but in today's market it's almost a steal. brassard got 5 and pouliot 4 I think. For sure PLekanec isn't great at all aspects he isn't Sidney Crosby I don't know what you are trying to expect for him. He once scored 29 goals that's almost 30.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I know 5mil sounds alot but in today's market it's almost a steal. brassard got 5 and pouliot 4 I think. For sure PLekanec isn't great at all aspects he isn't Sidney Crosby I don't know what you are trying to expect for him. He once scored 29 goals that's almost 30.

Plekanec also scored 14 goals in 47 games in the 12-13 season. That's one less than Pacioretty. That's around 25 goals in a full season. It would have been his 7th 20 goals season.

Yeah, his production dropped but it was to be expected when he played most of the year with Gionta.. and a mix of Galchenyuk, Eller, Bourque, Bournival..

Give him Pacioretty and PAP next season and I bet he can EASILY get 60pts.
But we all know he won't. At least, his wingers looks more competent for this upcoming season so I won't be surprised to see Plekanec being back in the 55-65pts range.

attachetatuque

un gros bonhomme!
Feb 1, 2013
OP mustn't watch much hockey...Stats aren't everything. TP takes on the bigger defensive zone responsibilities, plays the tougher minutes. IMO, he's one of the most valuable players on this squad and is largely underrated.

Watch him play.

This ''trade Plekanec'' talk is nauseating. The day TP becomes our third line center (focused exclusively on defense and still pitch in 45 points, all while having Galchenyuk and Eller committed to the offensive zone) is the day we will be true contenders. I'd move about 10 guys before touching Plekanec. Smarts + speed = exactly what the Montreal Canadiens are, and it's exactly the kind of game TP brings day in, day out.

Last edited:

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
OP mustn't watch much hockey...Stats aren't everything. TP takes on the bigger defensive zone responsibilities, plays the tougher minutes.

Playing defence is not tough minutes, to play defence you need 2 things, good positioning and anticipation.

Did you now that Plekanec is the Habs player that skate the less on his team? Why do you think Plekanec had never been injured in his 10 year nhl career? Because he plays soft minutes, not tough.

He plays the easiest minutes out there, it's funny that many don't realize that.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
OP mustn't watch much hockey...Stats aren't everything. TP takes on the bigger defensive zone responsibilities, plays the tougher minutes. IMO, he's one of the most valuable players on this squad and is largely underrated.

Watch him play.

This ''trade Plekanec'' talk is nauseating. The day TP becomes our third line center (focused exclusively on defense and still pitch in 45 points, all while having Galchenyuk and Eller committed to the offensive zone) is the day we will be true contenders. I'd move about 10 guys before touching Plekanec. Smarts + speed = exactly what the Montreal Canadiens are, and it's exactly the kind of game TP brings day in, day out.

You envision a day where our 3rd line center can grab 45 points??

We have enough trouble getting our #1 center to get 45 points

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Playing defence is not tough minutes, to play defence you need 2 things, good positioning and anticipation.

Did you now that Plekanec is the Habs player that skate the less on his team? Why do you think Plekanec had never been injured in his 10 year nhl career? Because he plays soft minutes, not tough.

He plays the easiest minutes out there, it's funny that many don't realize that.

Somewhat agreed here...although I think Plekanec does a ton of skating out there. He's constantly in movement.

But I agree that people take this 'tough minutes' thing to the extreme.

You'd think that Plekanec is out there banging and crashing for 20 mins vs. the opposition's best lines.

Plekanec gets by using his great sense of anticipation and hockey IQ...but let's not act like he's out there leaning against his opposition making life difficult for them.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

So you make a thread about discussing if Plekanec is underrated or not, 95% of us disagree with you, now we are the one misinformed? Right...

And what the **** are you talking about Plekanec being the Habs player that skate the less.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
What can I say if 95% of the fans thinks that Plek plays tough minutes, is a Selke candidate and he can score 75 pts, then you tell me he's not overrated? He's by far the most overrated Habs players by fans.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

??? Wow....just wow!

The guy plays tons of PK, play in every tight game situation like the last minutes of play. Takes all the crucial faceoffs, play against the best players in the world nights and nights out and do with with bottom line players like Briere, Moen, Bournival, Prust, Gionta....and this is the easiest minutes out there????????????????????????

He should stop them, and while this would be enough for him, we expect him to put as much as 50-60 points.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country

Did you wake up this morning and think to yourself "I am going to do my best to be dead wrong on the internet today!"

If so, good stuff. Mission accomplished.

Plekanec_1314.png

Green back is his offensive zone starts (notice how low they are)

Blue is his avg Fenwick.

Essentially, he plays really rough minutes, and plays them quite well. The proof is in the pudding.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
??? Wow....just wow!

The guy plays tons of PK, play in every tight game situation like the last minutes of play. Takes all the crucial faceoffs, play against the best players in the world nights and nights out and do with with bottom line players like Briere, Moen, Bournival, Prust, Gionta....and this is the easiest minutes out there????????????????????????

He should stop them, and while this would be enough for him, we expect him to put as much as 50-60 points.

Agreed he plays a ton of PK, and he's really excellent at it...

As for playing in tight game situations, yes, also, when habs are up 1 goal, he'll be one of the forwards on to protect the led.

But there's some things you wrote which need to be said...

He does take a lot of crucial faceoffs, but loses more than he wins.

Furthermore, he hasn't always played with the likes of Briere, Moen, Bournival, Prust and Gionta. He got a lot of opportunities with guys like Vanek, Pacioretty, Gallagher and Galchenyuk last year and had trouble finding any chemistry with them.

Tomas Plekanec is a very good and solid player for the Habs...but let's not make him out to be something he's not. I agree with the other poster who said he's the Habs most overrated player.

Some of you seem convinced that the entire teams ability to play 2 way hockey depends solely on him.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
This his point total over the years, where's the 75 points? And don't say "plek would score more points if you give better wingers like Brett Hull and Steven Stamkos"

edit: to add to that, good offensive center produce for themselves and help their wingers produce, they don't need wingers to produce.

Last edited:

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
Green back is his offensive zone starts (notice how low they are)

Blue is his avg Fenwick.

Essentially, he plays really rough minutes, and plays them quite well. The proof is in the pudding.

So he starts more often in the defensive zone and that is suppose to be tough minutes? What is tough about that?

Can't comment about Fenwick, don't know what that is.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
So he starts more often in the defensive zone and that is suppose to be tough minutes? What is tough about that?

...I'm not sure if you're being serious or not. But I'll just assume you're being purposely facetious.

Anyways, his numbers relative to his quality of competition were 2nd on the team. ( meaning he faced tough competition, but still produced)

He faces top quality of competition, and a brutal zone assignment. How anyone could conclude that's the easiest minutes on the team is beyond me.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Can't comment about Fenwick, don't know what that is.

It means he typically starts a lot of his shifts taking defensive draws and presumably, facing the other teams top line.

But I think a lot of people tend to extrapolate his usage to mean whatever they want it to mean.

Moen is Gone

@MoeninGlory
Feb 13, 2007
Grenoble
twitter.com
What can I say if 95% of the fans thinks that Plek plays tough minutes, is a Selke candidate and he can score 75 pts, then you tell me he's not overrated? He's by far the most overrated Habs players by fans.

90% of your posts since you signed up are about how Plekanec sucks and should be traded asap. I think we all got it now, you hate this player and there's no way you will change your mind about him.

So let's say our GM decides to trade him, for draft picks or a winger. Desharnais, Eller, Galchenyuk and Malhotra are our centres. What do you think would be the ideal lineup for this club, now that our terrible 2nd line C is gone?

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
...I'm not sure if you're being serious or not. But I'll just assume you're being purposely facetious.

Anyways, his numbers relative to his quality of competition were 2nd on the team. ( meaning he faced tough competition, but still produced)

He faces top quality of competition, and a brutal zone assignment. How anyone could conclude that's the easiest minutes on the team is beyond me.

what the hell is a brutal zone assignement lol?

tough competition doesn't equal playing tough minutes, playing defence is the most easy aspect of the game.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Really, 95% said he can score 75 pts? I saw one poster claiming that in this whole thread. That's 95% for you?

Also not much think Plekanec IS Selke candidate. He deserve recognition but I don't think none of us actually he should have won/will win. So again, you're just putting words in our mouth to prove your point.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Agreed he plays a ton of PK, and he's really excellent at it...

As for playing in tight game situations, yes, also, when habs are up 1 goal, he'll be one of the forwards on to protect the led.

But there's some things you wrote which need to be said...

He does take a lot of crucial faceoffs, but loses more than he wins.

Furthermore, he hasn't always played with the likes of Briere, Moen, Bournival, Prust and Gionta. He got a lot of opportunities with guys like Vanek, Pacioretty, Gallagher and Galchenyuk last year and had trouble finding any chemistry with them.

Tomas Plekanec is a very good and solid player for the Habs...but let's not make him out to be something he's not. I agree with the other poster who said he's the Habs most overrated player.

Some of you seem convinced that the entire teams ability to play 2 way hockey depends solely on him.

Overrated, underrated....depends on how we rate him, but one thing for sure....Plekanec is under-appreciated for all the hard work he does that will never showed up on the scoresheet.

He played with Briere-Gionta (213 minutes) and Bournival-Gionta (186 minutes) more than anybody else. In the Po, he has Prust for all the PO....2 years ago it was Moen in the PO...still managed to be our second most productive forward in the PO since Therrien is here.

For me Plekanec is absolutely needed on this team as long as we have a top 6 center who can't take those defensive duties. So, as long as DD need to be protected from those games situations, we need one guy who's gonna take most of them. The day DD is out and we have a real first line center worthy of this title, then Plekanec can be traded

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
what the hell is a brutal zone assignement lol?

tough competition doesn't equal playing tough minutes, playing defence is the most easy aspect of the game.

I showed you how he is given brutal zone assignments and faces the top quality of competition with real numbers.

You responded with "LOL defence is easy."

C'mon now, be reasonable (or even logical).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad