Is Tomas Plekanec underated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
Yeah, last year's series against Boston really showed that Plekanec can't keep up with a guy that 'makes things happen' like Bergeron.

I mean, Plekanec only had 1g-3a in that whole series, while Bergeron blew him away with 2g-2a. Plus, Bergeron made all those game-breaking plays that won Boston the series. Oh, wait...

Wow this is pretty sick...

Bergeron is a Conn Smythe candidate.

Plek is

Very

Very

Very far from being a Conn Smythe candidate

re-read the 3 quotes because you still don't understand:

"I've come to realize he's just not made to lead during those crucial moments."

"he's definitely not the one that will make things happen when it matters, as opposed to a Kessler or Bergeron"

"He's a follower and won't really take things into his own hands, like a Gallagher or Eller would"

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not sure I agree with that...

I think teams/coaches fear PK Subban on the PP...
I think teams/coaches fear Max Pacioretty's goal scoring ability...

I don't think teams gameplan around Tomas Plekanec...

But that's just me..might be wrong

Well if that's what you mean by fear than yes, I can see other teams fearing their go-to offensive line being shutdown by Plek. Ask Krejci and Lucic how much fun they have playing against Plek in the POs.
Didn't Marchand say he hated Plek the most? I'm pretty sure playing against him has something to do with it.

So ya, you might just be wrong buddy.

That he's one of the best 2 way players in the NHL
That the Habs can't afford to trade him because the other centers on the team couldn't pick up the slack

I could go on and on here...lots of things have been said about Plekanec that I don't agree with.

And again...the term 'overrated' just means that I THINK Habs fans rate him too highly

It does not mean that I think he's useless

He is one of the best 2 way centers out there. Not sure what people are wrong about there.
Can't afford to trade him, well that's more about what people think of the rest of the team not necessarily Plekanec.
If we had Crosby-Malkin around, I don't think people would say we can't afford to lose Plek. So I believe you're looking at it from a bad angle because it's true, the rest of our centers haven't proven capable of taking over Plek's role.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
That he plays tough minutes
That he's a selke candidate
That he's performing during the playoffs
That he's a 75 pts scorer

1- He does play tough minutes.
2- He has garnered some Selke votes, so technically speaking they are right.
3- Depends of your definition of performed. He has shutdown opponents but offensively he has been great.
4- Nobody ever said that, at least not to my knowledge.

habs88

Ya I'm a habs fan
Mar 28, 2013
Montreal
Are we talking offensively or defensively?

Offensively since 09-10 (5 seasons) their ppg average is
Kesler 0.76
Bergeron 0.75
Plekanec 0.69

Defensively it's a lot more subjective since it's harder to measure. But it's probably safe to assume they had similar defensive roles.

So if we look at GA/60 the average over 5 years is
Bergeron 1.99
Plekanec 2.28
Kesler 2.8

I'm not sure where this not in the same universe comes from. Bergevin is the clear leader but neither has a huge gap over Plekanec.

Offensively over the last 5 years
Pleks has tied or outproduced Bergeron in 3/5 seasons
Pleks has tied or outproduced Kesler in 2/4 seasons (Did not count Kesler's injured year)

Defensively
Plekanec had a better GA/60 in 2/5 seasons compared to Bergeron
Plekanec had a better GA/60 in 3/5 seasons compared to Kesler (2/4 if we don't count Kesler's injured year)

Volatile just means it is more likely to be erratic in a smaller sample size.

Regular season: 82 games
Playoffs: 17 games

Plus Minus is a pretty meaningless stat in general, but its more likely to have at least some meaning over the course of a full season compared to a smaller portion of games.

Yeah, last year's series against Boston really showed that Plekanec can't keep up with a guy that 'makes things happen' like Bergeron.

I mean, Plekanec only had 1g-3a in that whole series, while Bergeron blew him away with 2g-2a. Plus, Bergeron made all those game-breaking plays that won Boston the series. Oh, wait...

Wow this is pretty sick...

Bergeron is a Conn Smythe candidate.

Plek is

Very

Very

Very far from being a Conn Smythe candidate

re-read the 3 quotes because you still don't understand:

"I've come to realize he's just not made to lead during those crucial moments."

"he's definitely not the one that will make things happen when it matters, as opposed to a Kessler or Bergeron"

"He's a follower and won't really take things into his own hands, like a Gallagher or Eller would"
These two posts proves your the one whos very
Very
Very
Very
Very

Wrong

Also No one is saying hes a 75 point player but you were proven wrong when you said he didn't have a 70 point season way at the beginning of the thread.. which he does so you got all but hurt and keep bringing up 75 points just admit you didn't even know pleky when he had decent wingers *CAN* put up 70 points

NOW Name me ten 2 way centres you take over plekanec

Last edited:

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
I just love the tough minutes argument, fans don't realize that Plek has the easiest minutes to play.

Let's define Plekanec role: shutting down top opposition and killing penalties. All you need to accomplish that is good positioning, you can teach good positioning to anyone in the league. Keeping a good position is not tough minutes.

Here's a couple of things that are tougher than what Plekanec does:

-scoring goals
-making passes or creating plays
-a forward that goes in front of the net
-a forward that battles in the corner with Chara
-a forward forechecking
-a forward or defenceman deliviring hits
-shot blocking defenceman
-defenceman in his zone that battle for the puck against Lucic
-being a #1 goalie
-being a backup goalie

Stop thinking that Plek plays tough minutes, he doesn't, and that's a big reason why he will always be healthy.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I just love the tough minutes argument, fans don't realize that Plek has the easiest minutes to play.

Let's define Plekanec role: shutting down top opposition and killing penalties. All you need to accomplish that is good positioning, you can teach good positioning to anyone in the league. Keeping a good position is not tough minutes.

-scoring goals
-a forward forechecking
-being a #1 goalie
-being a backup goalie

Stop thinking that Plek plays tough minutes, he doesn't, and that's a big reason why he will always be healthy.

As has already been said, if your goal was to be wrong on the internet in order to drum up enough support for Plekanec to manifest the appearance of overrating that you seem to crave, well done.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
As has already been said, if your goal was to be wrong on the internet in order to drum up enough support for Plekanec to manifest the appearance of overrating that you seem to crave, well done.

you do bring great arguments though! which is none.

20K post and you don't know what type of player Plekanec is.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
you do bring great arguments though! which is none.

20K post and you don't know what type of player Plekanec is.

ahhhhhyeeeaaahhhh-nailed-it.jpg

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

-scoring goals
-a forward forechecking
-being a #1 goalie
-being a backup goalie

:biglaugh:

Apr 28, 2010

-scoring goals
-a forward forechecking
-being a #1 goalie
-being a backup goalie

You deserve an Emmy award for this. Best comedy! :laugh:

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
All habs players are underrated and overrated at the same time.

Everytime someone note how well or bad is playing a hab, there are plenty of posters to point out the opposite. Then occur a build up effect, which transforms a "this-guy-is-a-good-passer" to "advanced-stats-shows-he's-better-than-Gretzky", or stuff like "he's-only-good-at-blocking-shots" to "he's-a-career-AHLer".

But like LePoche predicted on page 3, this thread has taken that direction, from my one side or another, it was entertaining though!

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I've had my shares of laugh in this thread also believe me!

I mean Plek plays tough minutes, where the **** do you get that? This is too funny.

Funnier than Your stats about Plekanec being the Player with the shortiest skating distance with the Habs?

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

I mean Plek plays tough minutes, where the **** do you get that? This is too funny.

Okay, then put forth your opinion on who played "tougher" minutes on the Habs than Plekanec and support it. It's healthy enough to laugh at one's self (opportunity a-plenty), but time to get to work if you don't want this comedy shut down for being as ridiculous as it is.

Apr 28, 2010

Define tough minutes.

My definition is it's someone the team relies on defensively when we're up by 1 goal with 5 mins or less or during a 3on5/4on5 PK. Pleks is always the first choice. It's funny how you think that's an easy job to do. That's very hard to replace. Eller does have the potential, but not right now.

You gotta stop comparing Pleks to Bergeron or Kesler. Pleks is just as important to this team as those other two with their respective teams.

If you want Pleks to be an offensive player, how is he going to be able to do that when you play with Moen, Prust, Gionta most of the time? But you know what, even with the lack of production, I feel very comfortable having them out there knowing they're less likely to get scored on.

If you want to blame someone for his lack of production, blame Therrien as he's the one giving him all these defensive responsibilities every game.

It's also so funny how you say Pleks is always healthy like it's such a bad thing. :laugh:

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
Another thing that I keep reading is that the Krejci line was checked by the Plek line, this is not true, I even downloaded game 3-4-6 at the Bell Centre and re-watched the games, Plek was always checking the Bergeron line, every time Bergeron was put on the ice or was taking a faceoff, Plek was put on the ice.

And after watching game 6 I can confirm, Plek is the 3rd player that skated the less on the team behind Price and Vanek.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Another thing that I keep reading is that the Krejci line was checked by the Plek line, this is not true, I even downloaded game 3-4-6 at the Bell Centre and re-watched the games, Plek was always checking the Bergeron line, every time Bergeron was put on the ice or was taking a faceoff, Plek was put on the ice.

And after watching game 6 I can confirm, Plek is the 3rd player that skated the less on the team behind Price and Vanek.

What made you start this thread? You've mananged to get quite a few pages with your surprise attack on Plekanecs.

Let me try the same technique.

Why in the hell at the grocery store is there alway's like a full ****ing aisle of apples, and then just a tiny section for mango's, pineapples, kiwi's strawberries. Who the **** likes apples? Mango's are so disgustingly better than apples. It really is true. Apple are ****, I'm dissapointed everytime I get an apple in my lunch. So why do they dominate the grocery store fruit section.

Surprise attack apples. Flying under the radar all this time. ****ing apples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad