Is Thomas Greiss Toast?

Jonas Mahonas

Why is the SS on Greiss's mask a different font than the GREI? I've been wondering this.
ddd3328c-16ff-42a3-8b2c-ce9ebcecd2f5-greiss.jpg

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
At this point, unless you know you're going to get something more impactful than a late 2nd for him, or you know for sure he doesn't want to come back to Detroit after this season, I'd just start working on getting Bernier extended for 2 more years. Given what they pay Griess, probably going to take around $4M AAV.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Jonas Mahonas

In this mask, it definitely looks like there's different font used for the S's, or at least an interesting font style
140410152845-phoenix-coyotes-thomas-greiss-single-image-cut.jpg

Just seems a little odd that a German player would choose to highlight SS on all his masks... lol

What's with the friggin samsquanch on all his masks though?

Reactions: Kleefeld

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
At this point, unless you know you're going to get something more impactful than a late 2nd for him, or you know for sure he doesn't want to come back to Detroit after this season, I'd just start working on getting Bernier extended for 2 more years. Given what they pay Griess, probably going to take around $4M AAV.
Yep. I wonder if Greiss asks for a trade and/or to be exposed to SEA?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Last game was a good example.

There was one play in the 1st and Greiss chooses not to leave the crease and they score.

Late in 1st or early in 2nd, vasilievsky goes far out and plays the puck like a defenceman, Redmond laughs and comments.

Danials had to shut up and let Mickey talk. Mickey is fun to listen to even when he says something wrong.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
In this mask, it definitely looks like there's different font used for the S's, or at least an interesting font style
140410152845-phoenix-coyotes-thomas-greiss-single-image-cut.jpg

In this picture the s's look taken from the traditional sieg/sig rune from one of about 6 norse runic alphabet's which obviously comes from the saxon half of the anglo/saxon component of english.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I don't know that he'd ask for a trade, but he wouldn't have much of a choice with Seattle and I doubt they'd be interested anyway.
In all fairness to Greiss, going from NYI to here (polar opposites), he may just need more time to adjust. Bernier was up & down til midway through last season (1.5 yr into the contract) & then he was lights out most of the time afterwards. Protecting Greiss, then resigning Bernier to 1-2yr deal after ED looks like the best route, as of now.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Calvin friggin Pickard getting back to back starts over Greiss. Add Greiss to the other failed Yzerman acquisitions so far: Greiss, Filpulla, and Perlini. Luckily Erne has somewhat redeemed himself, Namestikov has been pretty shit as well but at least they're all only 2 years max.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Calvin friggin Pickard getting back to back starts over Greiss. Add Greiss to the other failed Yzerman acquisitions so far: Greiss, Filpulla, and Perlini. Luckily Erne has somewhat redeemed himself, Namestikov has been pretty shit as well but at least they're all only 2 years max.
That's a pretty hot take.

Yzerman is taking low risk gambles on all these players in hopes some of them work out. Most of them aren't going to turn out to be Fabbri.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Yea because Alec Regula is tearing it up in the A (3 points in 11 games) lol and Flip signed a 2 year deal, what a bum

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Dude relax. These guys were low risk gambles. It's not like we were expecting Greiss to win a vezina, Perlini to score 30 and Fillpulla to rediscover the magic he had on Zetterberg's wing. You're talking about Yzerman's acquisitions like he got Okposo, Skinner and Hall.

The wings scored 6 goals in 2 games against Columbus when Greiss wasn't playing. But when Greiss plays Detroit's offense dries up. I don't know why, but the team just forgets to score goals when he plays.

Do we have a breakdown of what our team's GF stats are depending on which goalie is in net for us? My guess is that the team probably has less than 2.00 GF when Greiss plays.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
No clue what more you want from a 1 million and 2 million dollar player when it comes to Erne and Namestnikov considering Helm has 3 points this season and makes more than both of them combined, to Erne and Namestnikov's 20 points combined. Kind of a joke post tbh, these two are hardly part over the primary problem, when we have guys like Helm, Nielsen, and DeKeyser locked up for a lot of money and have done much less. Low risk with this kind of production isn't a failure, get a grip.

Except, yeah Greiss has been bad, that's the only part of your post that makes sense.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Dude relax. These guys were low risk gambles. It's not like we were expecting Greiss to win a vezina, Perlini to score 30 and Fillpulla to rediscover the magic he had on Zetterberg's wing. You're talking about Yzerman's acquisitions like he got Okposo, Skinner and Hall.

The wings scored 6 goals in 2 games against Columbus when Greiss wasn't playing. But when Greiss plays Detroit's offense dries up. I don't know why, but the team just forgets to score goals when he plays.

Do we have a breakdown of what our team's GF stats are depending on which goalie is in net for us? My guess is that the team probably has less than 2.00 GF when Greiss plays.

100% agree, but also, even the word "gamble" is not accurate. These guys were all filler that we brought it to buy time while our young guys developed. It really doesnt matter.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
He's better than his W-L record suggests. 6gp @ .935 Sv% or better.
+ 4gp @ .900 or better (3/4 @ .909%)

a few stinkers in there really skew the story. Doesn't include 4-1-21 stats.

upload_2021-4-1_21-51-34.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad