Is there a team that needs Lafreinere more than the Habs

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Oilers have had like what, 6 1OA in the last decade? They don't deserve any.

Habs haven't had a top 2 selection since ..1980? The NHL is missing a well performing Habs team. They've been middling for too long.

The NHL "doesn't ahem rig the draft" or so they say, but they usually never reward tanking teams. Ottawa is below the cap floor in terms of actual salary paid out, and are loaded with pics. I highly doubt they'll get the 1OA handed to them.

Colombus deserves it only because all of their top guns walked out on them, otherwise their team is coming along nicely.

Reactions: HabsQC

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
LA could really use him because they're hurting on the wings. Most of their current wingers (Brown, Kovalchuk, Carter since he's playing there) are well over the age of 30, most of their best forward prospects (Turcotte, Kupari, Anderson-Dolan, Vilardi) are centers and most of their wing prospects are likely not top-6 material. LA seems to like drafting centers because they can be moved to wing when necessary, but that's not as ideal as having elite natural wingers. I'm not familiar enough with many teams to say that LA needs him most, and they do have a prospect pool that would be the envy of many teams, but the fact remains that their winger depth is woefully thin and Lafreniere would help a lot. That said, Kakko would've helped a lot, too, and we saw what the draft lottery had to say about that.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
yeah there are times when I wish the draft lottery were rigged. But you got to think if it were, the Oilers would not have got McDavid, and Matthews would have went to Arizona.

So just watch someone 5 points out of the playoffs win the lottery.

Since 2013..

2013 - MacKinnon would go to Florida
2014 - Ekblad to Buffalo
2015 - McDavid to Buffalo
2016 - Matthews still goes to TO
2017 - Hischier to Colorado
2018 - Dahlin still goes to Buffalo, though doubtful if Buff has McD
2019 - Hughes goes to Ottawa

Would have been real interesting to see how things would be different.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Since 2013..

2013 - MacKinnon would go to Florida
2014 - Ekblad to Buffalo
2015 - McDavid to Buffalo
2016 - Matthews still goes to TO
2017 - Hischier to Colorado
2018 - Dahlin still goes to Buffalo, though doubtful if Buff has McD
2019 - Hughes goes to Ottawa

Would have been real interesting to see how things would be different.
the wrinkle there is that potentially without the lottery tanking would be more extreme and we could have seen other teams get last overall from purposeful losing, like the cases that resulted in the lottery being introduced

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
A rich franchise that already has a very nice prospect pool does not need him.

Edit: nvm I forgot he's from Quebec; Yes the Habs absolutely need him.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You listed a few divisional rivals. You could make an argument within their division, but even Ottawa probably needs him more. Across the league, nope.

BananaCat11

Jun 30, 2019
Laurentians
We got enough rookies destined for mediocrity. Habs need a veteran goal scorer who can put the puck away. We have had our fair share of kids who never panned out and it had gotten us absolutely nowhere. The current habs management does not know how to groom young talent. We see a goal scorer and the first thing we try to do is put all his previous knowledge of sinking the puck into the net behind him, Then ruin him by switching his natural position and trying to get him to play "plus defensive tabarnac"

I am a die hard Habs fan and I say let the rookies go to a team who knows what they are doing. Keep em out of Montreal until we get some real coaches, Real trainers, A real GM and most of all a owner who wants to win. Let this kid go elsewhere and start his career the right way. The Habs are beyond help from just one young kid.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Oilers have had like what, 6 1OA in the last decade? They don't deserve any.

Habs haven't had a top 2 selection since ..1980? The NHL is missing a well performing Habs team. They've been middling for too long.

The NHL "doesn't ahem rig the draft" or so they say, but they usually never reward tanking teams. Ottawa is below the cap floor in terms of actual salary paid out, and are loaded with pics. I highly doubt they'll get the 1OA handed to them.

Colombus deserves it only because all of their top guns walked out on them, otherwise their team is coming along nicely.
Even the worst team in the league is more likely not to get the 1st than get it.

You realize that right?

It is math, not rigged.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
There’s plenty teams and fanbases that need/deserve Lafresne more. But I doubt there’s a fanbase that wants him as badly as Montreal.

This may be Leafs and McDavid all over again. Just hope the Habs fans stay classy and don’t shit all over Lafresne and the team that drafts him cause of butt hurt feelings forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad