Speculation: Is there a goalie out there that can help the Sabres?

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Calm, square and made some quality saves. There is beefing about the 2nd goal against. The first was both a goal of the year candidate and also looked like it was hit with a high stick.
Complaining about the 2nd seems a bit ludicrous as Carrick tipped it ~15' from the net. Wasn't a huge redirection but enough to miss the glove. All in all no real complaints about UPL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Complaining about the 2nd seems a bit ludicrous as Carrick tipped it ~15' from the net. Wasn't a huge redirection but enough to miss the glove. All in all no real complaints about UPL

Not my complaint - just the reaction in the GDT. I didn't think he played poorly tonight which was nice.

member 334057

With Habs fans seemingly willing to give Carey Price away at this point, curious what people would think of him in Buffalo if hypothetically he was willing to waive his NMC? I know initial reaction is no, overpaid and way too much cap hit. But realistically? So long as the cost of acquiring him was negligible.

Some of my thoughts.

1. His cap hit for the remaining 4 years of his deal is about 30% higher than his actual dollars paid. (Appealing to the Pegulas?)
2. His worst seasons are probably still better than most or all of what's currently or will be available in the offseason.
3. We have no significant raises coming outside of perhaps Olofsson next season. The following season They have like 3 players under contract, but many still won't garner big raises.
4. In 1 - 2 seasons it would allow them to buy-out Skinner and still remain at the cap floor if that's the direction still.
5. It shows the young guys this team is willing to get a player to help them be competitive now (or next season) as well as in the future.
6. He's probably one of if not the best goalie of his generation and would be a great mentor to UPL, Portillo and especially Levi.
7. Levi in particular idolized him and would all but ensure that kid remains hungry to make the team to play with his idol.

Thoughts?

FormerSabresFan

Sep 14, 2015
With Habs fans seemingly willing to give Carey Price away at this point, curious what people would think of him in Buffalo if hypothetically he was willing to waive his NMC? I know initial reaction is no, overpaid and way too much cap hit. But realistically? So long as the cost of acquiring him was negligible.

Some of my thoughts.

1. His cap hit for the remaining 4 years of his deal is about 30% higher than his actual dollars paid. (Appealing to the Pegulas?)
2. His worst seasons are probably still better than most or all of what's currently or will be available in the offseason.
3. We have no significant raises coming outside of perhaps Olofsson next season. The following season They have like 3 players under contract, but many still won't garner big raises.
4. In 1 - 2 seasons it would allow them to buy-out Skinner and still remain at the cap floor if that's the direction still.
5. It shows the young guys this team is willing to get a player to help them be competitive now (or next season) as well as in the future.
6. He's probably one of if not the best goalie of his generation and would be a great mentor to UPL, Portillo and especially Levi.
7. Levi in particular idolized him and would all but ensure that kid remains hungry to make the team to play with his idol.

Thoughts?

Not a horrible idea and well thought out but still an easy no...I think the danger here is that if the team finally starts to turn the corner in the next year or 2 his cap hit takes a lot of room on the salary cap which would prevent further roster additions and we can likely find similar (or better) performance from other, cheaper goalie options out there (or in house, if UPL steps up for example).

I just think the term and cap hit are still way too much unless MTL is also paying us for salary relief by sending Price with a 1st (for example) for a token late round pick or future considerations (which they would never do I'm sure).

There's just really no way it makes sense for either team, realistically.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

Some of my thoughts.

Thoughts?

They'd simply HAVE to agree to retain for it to make logical sense sadly. I can't picture that fanbase being on board with trading away and icon for nothing and paying for part of his salary to boot.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
I'm available! I've never played as a goaltender, and I'm 50, so there's that. But I'll give it a solid shot.

At this point, and I hate to write it, but losses are better than wins. Get as high a draft pick as possible...as usual.

Thing is, it probably won't help.

BG82

Jan 25, 2008
Niagara Falls
They'd simply HAVE to agree to retain for it to make logical sense sadly. I can't picture that fanbase being on board with trading away and icon for nothing and paying for part of his salary to boot.

At the cost of one of our later 1st round picks? We have three and with our prospects seemingly taking big steps. Would anyone disagree with moving one of our later 1's in a package ?

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
At the cost of one of our later 1st round picks? We have three and with our prospects seemingly taking big steps. Would anyone disagree with moving one of our later 1's in a package ?
You mean at the cost of one of Montreals picks right? At this point someone is doing them a favor taking that contract even with retention

Reactions: DJN21

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Some of my thoughts.

Thoughts?
Eric Staal, Taylor Hall redux

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

I wouldn't move a 4th round pick for him at that cost and term with no retention let alone give up a first. It's not a wise move. It's a desperate move. Habs somehow decide to retain 50% and I'd give up middling prospects and/or middling picks. Never would a 1st be on the table for Price at full cost. We can find someone capable to lead the way until our 3 young goalies duke it out ala Bishop etc.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Goalie Confidence Rankings: How all 32 teams should feel at the quarter mark

Guessing who is DFL: Yotes or Sabres....

It's neither...

i

29. Arizona Coyotes
Goalies: Karel Vejmelka, Scott Wedgewood, Carter Hutton, Ivan Prosvetov
Team save percentage: .892 (28th)
The best-laid plans of a tanking team can go awry when goalies start making saves. Wedgewood, formerly of the Devils, is 3-4-1 with a .921 save percentage in nine appearances for the Coyotes, good for 15th in goals saved above average. Vejmelka has only two wins and an overtime loss in 15 appearances, but those wins were a 37-save performance at the Kings and a 46-save shutout of the Jets, one of the most delightfully inexplicable results of the season. They've helped move the Coyotes out of the basement in team save percentage -- although they remain 32nd in standings points percentage, which is really what matters this season.
Weekes' take: "Wedgewood's played fairly well there. Maybe to date the best opportunity that he's had. I'm happy for him. I like the way he's playing right now. But I love Vejmelka's game. He's done a really nice job. They've been competitive. The biggest challenge for them, or any goalie there, is that they know by design it's a rebuild."
i

30. Buffalo Sabres

Goalies: Craig Anderson, Aaron Dell, Malcolm Subban, Dustin Tokarski, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
Team save percentage: .889 (29th)
Before his injury, Anderson did what Anderson does: Look like the best goalie in the NHL for five-game stretches, as he was 4-1 with a .939 save percentage in October. Alas, no one else has come close to that effectiveness in his absence. The Sabres acquired Subban (.760 save percentage) when Tokarski was put on the COVID-19 list. Dell has been terrible. Luukkonen is the future, whenever that might arrive.
Valiquette's take: "Why did they let Linus Ullmark go? Or why didn't they trade Ullmark before he walked? That was weird. Really weird."
i

31. Ottawa Senators

Goalies: Anton Forsberg, Filip Gustavsson, Matt Murray (AHL)
Team save percentage: .888 (31st)
The Senators have been defined this season by their terrible goaltending, lowlighted by the continuing implosion of Murray's career. The former Stanley Cup winner with the Penguins was put through waivers down to the AHL after starting the season 0-5-0 with an .890 save percentage. Of the two goalies still with the Senators, the 23-year-old Gustavsson (.899) has been the slightly better one, which is a bit like winning an auto race between cars with four flat tires. But it's not as if either gets much defensive support, as Gustavsson (second) and Forsberg (third) face among the most shots per 60 minutes in 5-on-5 play.
Weekes' take: "I'm surprised about Murray. I always had my eye on him, going back to when he played in the Soo [Sault Ste. Marie]. I know he went through a lot with his dad passing. I know that was heavy on him. I've always felt like he needed some more good muscle on this frame, to make him more durable and powerful. Clearly, you don't lose your skill overnight."
i

32. Seattle Kraken

Goalies: Philipp Grubauer, Chris Driedger, Joey Daccord
Team save percentage: .876 (32nd)
Goaltending was assumed to be the Kraken's greatest asset in their inaugural season. Instead, after 24 games, Seattle ranked last in the NHL in save percentage. Grubauer (.891 save percentage) has struggled under the weight of his free-agent contract, with a quality starts percentage of .278 in 18 starts. He was yanked in the first period against the Penguins on Monday in the nadir of an awful season. Driedger has been limited to five games, unable to stay in the lineup.
Valiquette's take: "Here's what I noticed when Seattle played the Rangers early this season: Grubauer isn't coming to a complete stop. His game would be: Track pass, complete stop, make save and then move again after making that save. In that game against the Rangers, he wasn't setting his feet before he made his first save and then was scrambling after his second and third. They haven't been that great in front of him, but he's been dreadful. It's almost like he's forgotten what worked for him."

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Goalie Confidence Rankings: How all 32 teams should feel at the quarter mark

Guessing who is DFL: Yotes or Sabres....

It's neither...

i

29. Arizona Coyotes
Goalies: Karel Vejmelka, Scott Wedgewood, Carter Hutton, Ivan Prosvetov
Team save percentage: .892 (28th)
The best-laid plans of a tanking team can go awry when goalies start making saves. Wedgewood, formerly of the Devils, is 3-4-1 with a .921 save percentage in nine appearances for the Coyotes, good for 15th in goals saved above average. Vejmelka has only two wins and an overtime loss in 15 appearances, but those wins were a 37-save performance at the Kings and a 46-save shutout of the Jets, one of the most delightfully inexplicable results of the season. They've helped move the Coyotes out of the basement in team save percentage -- although they remain 32nd in standings points percentage, which is really what matters this season.
Weekes' take: "Wedgewood's played fairly well there. Maybe to date the best opportunity that he's had. I'm happy for him. I like the way he's playing right now. But I love Vejmelka's game. He's done a really nice job. They've been competitive. The biggest challenge for them, or any goalie there, is that they know by design it's a rebuild."
i

30. Buffalo Sabres

Goalies: Craig Anderson, Aaron Dell, Malcolm Subban, Dustin Tokarski, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
Team save percentage: .889 (29th)
Before his injury, Anderson did what Anderson does: Look like the best goalie in the NHL for five-game stretches, as he was 4-1 with a .939 save percentage in October. Alas, no one else has come close to that effectiveness in his absence. The Sabres acquired Subban (.760 save percentage) when Tokarski was put on the COVID-19 list. Dell has been terrible. Luukkonen is the future, whenever that might arrive.
Valiquette's take: "Why did they let Linus Ullmark go? Or why didn't they trade Ullmark before he walked? That was weird. Really weird."
i

31. Ottawa Senators

Goalies: Anton Forsberg, Filip Gustavsson, Matt Murray (AHL)
Team save percentage: .888 (31st)
The Senators have been defined this season by their terrible goaltending, lowlighted by the continuing implosion of Murray's career. The former Stanley Cup winner with the Penguins was put through waivers down to the AHL after starting the season 0-5-0 with an .890 save percentage. Of the two goalies still with the Senators, the 23-year-old Gustavsson (.899) has been the slightly better one, which is a bit like winning an auto race between cars with four flat tires. But it's not as if either gets much defensive support, as Gustavsson (second) and Forsberg (third) face among the most shots per 60 minutes in 5-on-5 play.
Weekes' take: "I'm surprised about Murray. I always had my eye on him, going back to when he played in the Soo [Sault Ste. Marie]. I know he went through a lot with his dad passing. I know that was heavy on him. I've always felt like he needed some more good muscle on this frame, to make him more durable and powerful. Clearly, you don't lose your skill overnight."
i

32. Seattle Kraken

Goalies: Philipp Grubauer, Chris Driedger, Joey Daccord
Team save percentage: .876 (32nd)
Goaltending was assumed to be the Kraken's greatest asset in their inaugural season. Instead, after 24 games, Seattle ranked last in the NHL in save percentage. Grubauer (.891 save percentage) has struggled under the weight of his free-agent contract, with a quality starts percentage of .278 in 18 starts. He was yanked in the first period against the Penguins on Monday in the nadir of an awful season. Driedger has been limited to five games, unable to stay in the lineup.
Valiquette's take: "Here's what I noticed when Seattle played the Rangers early this season: Grubauer isn't coming to a complete stop. His game would be: Track pass, complete stop, make save and then move again after making that save. In that game against the Rangers, he wasn't setting his feet before he made his first save and then was scrambling after his second and third. They haven't been that great in front of him, but he's been dreadful. It's almost like he's forgotten what worked for him."
Wow. Shocking.
But Arizona has a long way to fall. Check out this "fantasy" tidbit I found:

"Hutton has been shelved since Oct. 25 versus Florida when he sustained his ankle injury, a stretch of 18 games on injured reserve. Once deemed fully fit, Hutton should be in a position to reclaim his spot as the No. 1 netminder in the desert."

Reactions: jc17 and Jim Bob

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Some of my thoughts.

Thoughts?

His $10.5 M cap hit matter a lot. This idea Pegulas are looking for cheap contracts and large caps is not based on reality. They've shown no indication of wanting such things. This was rebuild year and I fully expect the Pegulas to take advantage of cap to TRY and build a winner. Do they do dumb things. Yes. It's not for lack of trying. Bottom line.

Carey Price is a monster cap dump. He has huge huge negative value. You could wave him and there would be ZERO takers.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

I would quit as a fan if we GAVE UP a 1st to take that contract. I think it's a first and a prospect to take it.

BG82

Jan 25, 2008
Niagara Falls
I would quit as a fan if we GAVE UP a 1st to take that contract. I think it's a first and a prospect to take it.

If the Hawks were offering that to take Fleury we wouldve taken Fleury. I dont think taking on salary over the next 3 years is a issue looking at our roster. Gonna be alot of ELC up next year

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Really surprised how bad Grubauer is doing this year but I know he's on Seattle.

Philipp Grubauer Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
#NameGPMinGAAWLTSvPct
31Philipp Grubauer2111403.1671120.887
60Chris Driedger52333.602200.876
35Joey Daccord31733.810200.866
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Looks like the Seattle factor might be real although that's well below his career norm so don't know. Hard to think going from 922 to 887 is all on the team but definitely a factor judging by the others

member 334057

If last nights game was any indication that potential 4 headed monster in Dallas may be back down to 3. Bishop looked rough, but he is trying to shake off 2 years of rust so we'll see how he looks in his next 2 starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad