Is there a disconnect between the Senators organization and the fans?

Is there a disconnect?

• There is a minor disconnect

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
I can't stand Melnyk or Dorion, but I wouldn't yell at them in public. If he thinks that is the measure of fan discontent then I don't even know what to say.

That Dorion thinks fans are on board and there is no disconnect ... shows the disconnect. I don't personally know of a single fan - friend, family, co-worker - who is happy with the direction of the Senators right now. Not a single one. If there is some great unheard majority of fans who are happy with the team I'd love to know where they are.

I just feel apathy now. I'm not going to watch or go to games while they get pounded with an AHL-calibre roster, in some vain hope that one good prospect and a few draft picks are going to turn around this dumpster fire. Even if they did the players will be gone when the team loses control of their rights anyway, which has been repeatedly shown over the last few years. I've got better things to do than be constantly disappointed with an owner and management team that is so completely inept.

Reactions: Deku

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
Dorion knows there is a disconnect. He grew up in the region and has friends here. All he is doing is following his marching orders from uncle Euge’... he will say and do anything to keep his job even if it makes him look like a complete buffoon..

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Dorion knows there is a disconnect. He grew up in the region and has friends here. All he is doing is following his marching orders from uncle Euge’... he will say and do anything to keep his job even if it makes him look like a complete buffoon..

People actually think some other GM would ignore the owner and throw our massive contracts and bonus to all the players that owner doesn't wanna pay?

Most fans just don't have any logic.

At best, Dorion can just quit, but how does that change anything? Melnyk will find someone who will do the GM duties for him in a second.

Dorion is doing is job as his owner wants him too, to keep his job. That is smart on him. That is what anyone would do.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
People actually think some other GM would ignore the owner and throw our massive contracts and bonus to all the players that owner doesn't wanna pay?

At best, Dorion can just quit, but how does that change anything? Melnyk will find someone who will do the GM duties for him in a second.

Dorion is doing is job as his owner wants him too, to keep his job. That is smart on him. That is what anyone would do.
Did Eugene Melnyk tell Dorion to extend Burrows? Zmith? Anderson? Condon?
Did Melnyk tell Dorion to sign Ceci, try to trade him and then tell the media he is apart of the core? Waive Smith but tell people he's apart of the core?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I disagree with your claim that most fans lack logic.

If you want an absence of logic consider that the organization has said recently that fans should be excited they lost EK, Stone, etc. because that means the team has to now sign new players to reach the floor.

Seriously? And 'most fans just don't have any logic'?
Wrong supporter

Reactions: HF Reader

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Jagr demanded a trade, the went to the conference finals the last year he played there. They ended up tanking 4 years straight leading into the lockout and struck gold landing Crosby and Malkin as a result. Not exactly a repeatable strategy

But star players leaving only happens here, nowhere else right? Am not saying we'll build like pittsburgh, but most teams that rebuild end up doing well. you just don't want them to do well, because of your stupid boycott.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
Did Melnyk tell Dorion to sign Ceci, try to trade him and then tell the media he is apart of the core? Waive Smith but tell people he's apart of the core?

When the COO says (roughly) that fans should be excited the team has lost EK, Stone, etc. because the loss represents an opportunity to sign new players to reach the floor, then I'd say the Senators win the "Don't have any logic" award.

Reactions: Cheapseats

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
But star players leaving only happens here, nowhere else right? Am not saying we'll build like pittsburgh, but most teams that rebuild end up doing well. you just don't want them to do well, because of your stupid boycott.
Nah, forget the boycott, we just don't want them to do well so that maybe we can actually afford to keep the players. If they suck and aren't expensive, they won't be driven out of town in a cloud of bullshit, am I right?

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Nah, forget the boycott, we just don't want them to do well so that maybe we can actually afford to keep the players. If they suck and aren't expensive, they won't be driven out of town in a cloud of bull****, am I right?
If thats what matters to you, i'd prefer good players that win a cup or paying for a team that actually wins.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

You are just finding reasons to complain for the sake of complaining. I don't see how extending Smith, Anderson and Borrow was end of all things. Or, you just love making issues over every little thing?

Most of you act if it's Dorion's fault that he didn't resign Karlsson, Stone, Duchene etc.. Just use some logic there

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
You are just finding reasons to complain for the sake of complaining. I don't see how extending Smith, Anderson and Borrow was end of all things. Or, you just love making issues over every little thing?

Most of you act if it's Dorion's fault that he didn't resign Karlsson, Stone, Duchene etc.. Just use some logic there
If anyone needs to use logic its you.

You stated that Dorion is doing his job as Melnyk wants him to. Why is Melnyk telling him to extend less skilled players for term and money? Makes no sense.

You cannot absolve Dorion of blame here which seems like what you are doing.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
If anyone needs to use logic its you.

You stated that Dorion is doing his job as Melnyk wants him to. Why is Melnyk telling him to extend less skilled players for term and money? Makes no sense.

You cannot absolve Dorion of blame here which seems like what you are doing.

Oh, so Dorion ruined the whole franchise by extending Smith and Borrows? Yes, that makes a lot of sense

The coach could scratch them and play young players more (that Dorion has a part in scouting and drafting) or maybe have the owner let Dorion resign our star players what they deserve, with bonuses.

Departing of Stone and Karlsson really got to you there bud

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

Karlsson.

I agree that there is probably nothing Dorion could do to keep EK is Melnyk had given the mandate to cut costs to the bone. But if the writing was on the wall last February then Dorion should have been able to get more for EK at last years TDL then at camp, given two playoffs vs. one. That he didn't take advantage at last years TDL is on him.

Stone.

Probably nothing that could be done here because IMO Stone was just trying to say nice things and would never sign here.

But IF he was at one point willing, then that point was probably the summer, and then it is on Dorion shoulders for not convincing both sides Stone/Melnyk to get it done.

Duchene.

The blame here is clearly that we should never have been put in a situation to try and resign Duchene while going into a rebuild. PD's team evaluation at the time of the Duchene trade was either wrong, or he made the wrong moves to rectify the problems that came after.

Don't get me wrong. 99% Melnyk, and this is a tough hand to be dealt. But if there is one thing that wouldn't hurt PD is to be a little more humbled by all this as a junior GM.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Oh, so Dorion ruined the whole franchise by extending Smith and Borrows? Yes, that makes a lot of sense

The coach could scratch them and play young players more (that Dorion has a part in scouting and drafting) or maybe have the owner let Dorion resign our star players what they deserve, with bonuses.

Departing of Stone and Karlsson really got to you there bud
Where did I say extending them ruined anything?

Your persistence on defending him is clouding your ability to comprehend the point I'm trying to get across.

Melnyk is not pulling all the strings. Dorion should not be absolved of blame for the state of the franchise.

Do you believe everything Dorion says? Legitimate question

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Where did I say extending them ruined anything?

Your persistence on defending him is clouding your ability to comprehend the point I'm trying to get across.

Melnyk is not pulling all the strings. Dorion should not be absolved of blame for the state of the franchise.

Do you believe everything Dorion says? Legitimate question

I am not trying to defend him. I could care less about him. We both know very well that the state we are in is all Melnyk's doing.

Stone and Karlsson didn't had a bad relationship with the GM, they clearly implied that the ownership is not committed to winning. If it was all up to Dorion (with an Owner willing to spend everything) he would've signed everyone, and I have no doubt in my mind about that.

As soon as Dorion was appointed he made some risky moves to win now, by trading Zibby for Brassard (although that trade doesn't look good now, but he was instrumental in our Cup run, and Zibby was not showing any progression). Phaneuf trade was pretty good too, that brought in some needed leadership on the 2nd pairing, and took some load off Karlsson to produce from the back-end. Another vital part in our Cup Run

Duchene trade at the time being actually made sense (and it showed he is willing to take risk to win). How ever, I wish that trade would've happened a year ago. No one expected us to completed fell of the map right after the trade, especially after making it to the conference finals

Extending all the washed up role players is nothing to create a fuss about, really. You brought up those signings. not me.

I don't know how to answer your last question. I am not sure what do you expect him to say when he addresses media, expect diplomatic answers. I am pretty sure he wants to win and he tried to do so, as well until the Owner hand-cuffed him completely.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I never said star player only leave here, but the volume of departing stars is unique.

Nobody is against rebuilds. People are criticizing how this management group has orchestrated this one. It allegedly started in Feb last year, and sure we moved out a few guys, but at that point, it looked far more like a re-tool, moving out only the pieces that weren't working out. We then waited to long to move Hoffman, and ended up seeing his value tank because of unforeseen circumstances. We then opted to keep Karlsson till training camp, having missed two opportunities to move him at a time where we would have had more leverage, and likely more suitors than you get at training camp. We then proceeded to wait till deadline day to move 3 UFA. That's not a well planed rebuild; we backed ourselves into a corner for every single player we moved out. That's the issue people have; we can't retain players, but we still hold out hope till it's too late to get a proper return. And that's without even getting into the reality that we went from going "all in" in November, to full rebuild in Feb, and doing that full rebuild without our own 1st round pick.

Oh, and this boycott isn't "my boycott". I've never said I'm boycotting the team, that won't stop me from criticizing the team when it deserves it though.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
There is more than one problem with the Senators. Ownership is number 1. Dorion the GM and management is number 2. Coaching is number 3.

There is a lot of work to be done to fix this team.

You're right, but a competent owner would toss Dorion and Boucher out on their ass, so problem 2 and 3 would be resolved by fixing problem 1.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad