Is there a disconnect between the Senators organization and the fans?

Is there a disconnect?

• There is a minor disconnect

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Did the Leafs insulate rookies with veterans or did rookies show up and be among the top players on the team without help from any veterans whatsoever?

Your team gets better with better players that are young and on the upswing not by having more key veterans with declining skills.

Yes they did. At least more than we are doing. They kept JVR, Bozak, and Kadri around for a bit to support their young guys on offense. Marner, Nylander, and Matthews were very good right away, but they actually had talent to play with while our young guys on offense only have guys like Tierney, Ryan, and Smith left at this point lmao. Then the Leafs also brought in Marleau although that was mostly because they were able to throw money at him. They also got Hainsey so that they wouldn't have to throw their young D to the wolves right away like we have done with guys like Lajoie.

Reactions: bert and Countdown0

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Wow, Pierre is pretty arrogant if he thinks Sens fans would yell at him if they were unhappy with the decisions being made by the team's ownership and management.

Here's the thing Pierre, we aren't mad at YOU. You're a symptom of the problem, not the cause of it.

On the other hand, your boos uncle Eugene IS the problem. He squabbled with the best player this team has ever had over how big of a contract to give him. Any other team in the league would have at least tried to offer EK a contract that matched Doughty's, if not went a little higher.

So Pierre needs to get this idea out of his head that he's the main target of the fans' ire. That's definitely Melnyk.

Not Melnyk or Dorion fans, but people that are aware of other franchises that have to rebuild their rosters at times. Particularily ones that has been around for at least 25 years. ie blue jays,the athletics, the leafs, the penguins, before they traded jagr, and the Senators!!!.

Those people are pretty rare though in the online world.

It's either lack of awareness, uneducated or ignorance.

Hey Eugene, get off your fake account and leave please. I don't mean the forum, I mean the team and the city.

Last edited:

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Took them 10 years to get that line but the sens are worse than them apparently, and you're a sens fan backing up the Edmonton Oilers!! Congrats you found your new favorite team.

Ok, you got me. I should have known better than to enter a battle of wits with a guy that so obviously is smarter than the rest of us (133 at this point). You obviously "get" it, unlike so many of us that saw these other teams rebuilding but didn't understand it. Our frustration with Sens management over pissing away a core of Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Dzingel, Hoffman is misplaced. Being upset that Sens management has repeatedly demonstrated an inability to effectively manage player and personnel issues is just plain misplaced.

Thank you for your efforts to educate us all. We are fortunate that there are fans like you still willing to explain things to us.

Reactions: Deku

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Truth be told, if you’re out with your son/daughter/girlfriend I think enough people are going to let it pass in terms of giving you abuse/letting you know how they feel.

If you were out by yourself it’s likely a different story.

And reality is there is a total disconnect.

Reactions: Blotto71

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
jagr on the penguins, the team wasn't winning, fans went down by 5k, traded him, then had crosby malkin,fleury+

another example of how people don't bother to look at other teams

maybe not the last time, but it happens or apparently, never happens.
Jagr demanded a trade, the went to the conference finals the last year he played there. They ended up tanking 4 years straight leading into the lockout and struck gold landing Crosby and Malkin as a result. Not exactly a repeatable strategy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Everyone (Mayor, fans, media, NCC, players, Dave Cameron) are entirely sick of the BS of the Sens and Dorion and Melncyk are on the other side arrogantly talking to the rest of us.

How little respect does Dorion have for the fans when he says we don’t understand how a rebuild works? We get it, we aren’t stupid, we think management is stupid and by all of your public comments - your record shows your entire strategy is stupid.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
and there u have it, will paste what i typed

"You might not care about other teams but not acknowledging they go through pains is ignorant.

Alot of these ignorant people are the ones that make fun of the teams near the bottom of the standings but when it starts happening to the team they cheer for it's not so funny anymore"
Ignorance is believing that every team has went through the same situation that Ottawa is going through.

Which team's have been in the media in a negative light similar to that of Ottawa due to the owner/management? Toronto during the Ballard era? It's absolutely rare.

Since you like comparing franchises look at how Glen Sather and Tom Dundan addresses their fans. I don't see any of them blaming their customers do you?

Reactions: Deku

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Come on, guys.

There's only 3 scenarios where someone on here can defend Melynk at this point:

1 - you are Melynk or directly related to him
2 - you are paid to be on his side
3 - you are a fan of a rival team and trolling these boards

In any of these cases, there's no point in engaging with them. It's bad for the blood pressure and you can't change a potato.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Wow, Pierre is pretty arrogant if he thinks Sens fans would yell at him if they were unhappy with the decisions being made by the team's ownership and management.

Here's the thing Pierre, we aren't mad at YOU. You're a symptom of the problem, not the cause of it.

On the other hand, your boos uncle Eugene IS the problem. He squabbled with the best player this team has ever had over how big of a contract to give him. Any other team in the league would have at least tried to offer EK a contract that matched Doughty's, if not went a little higher.

So Pierre needs to get this idea out of his head that he's the main target of the fans' ire. That's definitely Melnyk.

Hey Eugene, get off your fake account and leave please. I don't mean the forum, I mean the team and the city.

There is more than one problem with the Senators. Ownership is number 1. Dorion the GM and management is number 2. Coaching is number 3.

There is a lot of work to be done to fix this team.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
Not Melnyk or Dorion fans, but people that are aware of other franchises that have to rebuild their rosters at times. Particularily ones that has been around for at least 25 years. ie blue jays,the athletics, the leafs, the penguins, before they traded jagr, and the Senators!!!.

Those people are pretty rare though in the online world.

It's either lack of awareness, uneducated or ignorance.
I haven't studied the rebuild universe but my best guess is that most rebuilds are due to aging players as opposed to money and/or players simply choosing to leave a team. Florida Marlins is a notable exception.
Further, I acknowledge teams go through rebuilds. Some teams in some sports appear to be in a perpetual rebuild (Cleveland Browns). I don't follow those teams, don't study their draft strategy, don't listen to their PR campaign, etc. In short I don't really care. I don't mock them, nor do I pity them.
It is the motive for trading all your top players that is eyebrow-raising. It seems inconsistent to me to jettison elite, young talent and call it a rebuild. Add in the condescending public communications effort and you get the reaction you see.
The reaction is not caused by level of education, awareness or ignorance. In fact one could argue the opposite.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I am glad to see they connecting with atleast one fan, pt_mck.

The silent majority!

Nice Avatar, wonder if anyone has gotten their hands on one of those calendars, I dm'd several assumed recipients to see if I could purchase from them but never got a reply. There has to be a Sens fan out there who got one of these and can upload for us to have a laugh, heard he highlighted his bday in it lol

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The pot is boiling over.

How the heck does this Melnyk era end?
I wish there was more I could do than just tweet #MelnykOut.

I love the Sens with all my heart. I have gone to and enjoyed 3 games this year - BUT they were all gifted and free to me. I will not spend a dime on Melnyk’s team. However, if he were to sell, I’d immediately buy a 10 game pack. I’m finally old enough and making enough money to do so, but hey...Eugene flapping Melnyk, everyone!

I was a full season ticket holder for several years but got tired of the long commute from the east side of town. A centrally located arena would be welcome but a new owner and competent management must be in place before I become a season ticket holder again.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
The silent majority!

Nice Avatar, wonder if anyone has gotten their hands on one of those calendars, I dm'd several assumed recipients to see if I could purchase from them but never got a reply. There has to be a Sens fan out there who got one of these and can upload for us to have a laugh, heard he highlighted his bday in it lol

I would like to get a hold of one of those calendars myself. LOL I suspect most of them went to the trash bin.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I would like to get a hold of one of those calendars myself. LOL I suspect most of them went to the trash bin.

I think it will be worth it having a small pile of Melnyk memorabilia to hold onto so in a while or so we can look back on this insanity and how we got through it.

Part of the reason I bought a MelnykOut hat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad