Is the FHL slowly legitimizing itself?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Rewind the F(P)HL highlights reel six years: The Danville Dashers' Matt Puntureri was reportedly suspended for life from the then-FHL, after staging a fake fight then sharing a beer with the Dayton Demonz' Jesse Felten. I guess Punterari should've wound up & taken a slap shot of the beer can at the Demonz head coach instead. :badidea:

Reactions: sabremike

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Hard to pay a fine when you barely make a salary...
Even in the ECHL. Tough to come up with the cash for a $350 fine when that is a weeks pay, and you were suspended for three games, so you already missed a week of pay. You can't play until you pay the fine either, so sometimes a call to mom or dad has to be made.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Even in the ECHL. Tough to come up with the cash for a $350 fine when that is a weeks pay, and you were suspended for three games, so you already missed a week of pay. You can't play until you pay the fine either, so sometimes a call to mom or dad has to be made.

If memory serves, fine amounts in the ECHL are collectively bargained, and while they are punitive, I don't think they approach the $350 range, which is close to half a week's pay. You are correct that you do have to pay before you return to the ice.

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011

Players still get paid if they are suspended by the league.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Brody Duncan SUSPENDED for the Remainder of the Season

So Duncan was suspended for the rest of the regular season (25 games) and playoffs as well as fined an undisclosed amount.
The best part about this is that all he got at the time was a minor for delay of game, while the guy who went after him got a major, a match and two game misconducts.

ETA, whoops, looks like I was looking at the wrong game sheet. This guy seems to have made a lot of friends.

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
ECHL players are paid if they are under league suspension. I don't know about FHL.

That would mean that Emerson Clark would get paid for his 16 game suspension, which would only hurt the team and not the player.

I'll check on that when I connect with the Railers again on Friday, but I'll bet that's not true...

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Was actually in Bridgeport tonight because I had comps but rushed back to Danbury to pick up a game worn for $175 that I want to post pics of but the site says they are too big.

Reactions: EvilDead

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
IMG_20200216_032609.jpg

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

I saw this while scrolling through Twitter, figured I'd throw it here for the sake of discussion

We haven't had a midseason fold in a few years in the FHL. Time for us to go back to that.

Mentor was always a weird duck, playing in the 2nd smallest venue and having a tiny rink to begin with. They even accepted payments from other teams to move home games away from Mentor to their places (though not as bad as Battle Creek, another place that may get the ax either this season or in the offseason). It doesn't look good for a league to have players abandon a franchise in droves, however.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk80

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
They were started by very committed ownership, but giving it a go in a community rink within an easy drive of much better hockey options was never going to turn out well. If the players aren't getting paid their $200 or so per week, that should speak to how they're doing financially.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Sports leagues on the fringe have no fringes. Tough go for owners, tougher go for players & staff.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
The Landers Center is a lot different from the rink in Watertown. I'd say if you're gonna draw about 1K, better to do it in a rink like Watertown than an 8k seat arena. Affiliating with the FHL is still questionable but I'd say Johansson made out better than his original intention.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
The Landers Center is a lot different from the rink in Watertown. I'd say if you're gonna draw about 1K, better to do it in a rink like Watertown than an 8k seat arena. Affiliating with the FHL is still questionable but I'd say Johansson made out better than his original intention.

One thousand in a 1,000 seat building is a crowd.

One thousand in an 8,000 seat building isn't a crowd, it's a large group.

Reactions: EvilDead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad