Is the FHL slowly legitimizing itself?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
We all know the Fed. They've gone through tons of teams that have folded mid-season, functioned solely as away teams, or attracted a few dozen people and died a silent death in the off-season. There's been staged fights, idiot owners, horrible jerseys, having people from the joke of the GMHL involved, and plenty of low quality community rinks.

But, the Fed has gotten two absolute gifts in Elmira and Winston-Salem. Two legitimate pro rinks and average attendance numbers ~3300 and ~2600 respectively. They've been linked with Columbus, GA, Salisbury, MD, and several larger southern cities legitimate arenas. With Fed budgets a fraction of most SP budgets, it's certainly an attractive feature which trickles down to cheaper tickets. They've been rumored to be looking at up to six expansion targets for 2019-20. Are they over the days of them taking expansion money from anyone willing to write a check?

Reactions: Dingo44

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
While they've gotten lucky with Elima and Winston-Salem, they're still also going after community type rinks like the Mentor Ice Arena. It's hard to say they're legitimizing themselves if they're still going into rinks like that. That rink is tiny AND you could get season tickets for less than $7 a game. That's not going to pay the bills.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I wouldn't say "legitimizing". I know there's a few diehard FHL fans here that will get upset every time someone throws shade at the league, but while Elmira and Winston-Salem are "successful" for FHL standards, that's because the standards for the FHL are very low. Like, really low. For example; Winston-Salem was a constant white whale for leagues because they wanted that area, but the figures just didn't work out. And, many leagues tried (ECHL, Southern Hockey League, UHL, South East Hockey League, and SPHL), before a league with lowered standards got the results they wanted. So, before people go for the grand plans of the FHL expanding, it's whether or not the FHL business model has changed from "Let's put a team where there's a rink and no competition" versus "Let's look at the feasibility of putting a team in a market based on sustainability".

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm a big FHL fan. Definitely rooting for them. Seen games in three different arenas and it's good hockey at a good price.

Reactions: JMCx4

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Just to put it out there, but I can't emphasize this enough - rumors or statements that a team is going to a certain place must be sourced with a link. That rule applies to everybody. If a user isn't following the rules, report the offending post using the "Report" button to alert one of us to look into it. I'm the only moderator assigned to this particular board and I don't see every single post nor can I be around 24/7. Reporting is the only way to let us know something's amiss and have it seen. Now, carry on.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
upload_2019-3-11_3-3-51.png

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Danbury Trashers need to be reincarnated, this time in the FHL. Not sure if Galante can own a team, I dont see why not. The DIA would be rocking for it. I love Nichols but damn Danbury and the Galantes back in the game would sell tickets. Would be interesting to also see if years of college hockey over in New Haven has "softened" any of its old fans. Big D, Puckie, where you bums at lol? Went to a few games in Danbury when visiting the former in laws near Brewster NY, I can say with certainty the Danbury and New Haven crews were alot of fun.

Reactions: sabremike

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Danbury Trashers need to be reincarnated, this time in the FHL. Not sure if Galante can own a team, I dont see why not. The DIA would be rocking for it. I love Nichols but damn Danbury and the Galantes back in the game would sell tickets. Would be interesting to also see if years of college hockey over in New Haven has "softened" any of its old fans. Big D, Puckie, where you bums at lol? Went to a few games in Danbury when visiting the former in laws near Brewster NY, I can say with certainty the Danbury and New Haven crews were alot of fun.

No stable league is going to let Galante own a team, as he's a convicted felon and racketeer, but I doubt such a small legal speed bump would stop the FHL. As for college hockey being "soft," you obviously haven't watched much college hockey.

Reactions: HockeyDude16

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
there's no arena in New Haven, Nightsquad, it's now morphed into Hartford/U-Conn, Bridgeport, and Quinnipiac (Hamden)

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
there's no arena in New Haven, Nightsquad, it's now morphed into Hartford/U-Conn, Bridgeport, and Quinnipiac (Hamden)

Google Maps

Ingalls Arena, 73 Sachem Street, New Haven, CT 06511. There is an arena in New Haven, it’s Yale University’s. Not sure why or how it would be morphed into any of UConn’s, Qpac’s, or Sacred Heart’s.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Nicknamed "The Whale" for its architectural shape. Beautiful arena, don't let HUTCH ruin it.

Yale-Whale14.jpg

Kinda weird that you would come in through the whale's butthole, though. If we're going to be anatomically correct, I'd assume the main entrance would have been the "face" of the whale to symbolize the baleen teeth.

But, this was built in the 1950s, so I assume they weren't thinking people would be looking into internet nerds making inappropriate comments 70 years later.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Kinda weird that you would come in through the whale's butthole, though. If we're going to be anatomically correct, I'd assume the main entrance would have been the "face" of the whale to symbolize the baleen teeth. ...
The arena was christened with the nickname by Yale students. Perhaps they had a sense of that irony all along.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
No stable league is going to let Galante own a team, as he's a convicted felon and racketeer, but I doubt such a small legal speed bump would stop the FHL. As for college hockey being "soft," you obviously haven't watched much college hockey.

Been to many NCAA DI and DIII games. I never said the players were soft. Westgarth is from the collegiate ranks and he is tough as nails, and smart. You failed to comprehend I wad talking about the New Haven fan base who were a fun rough bunch and knew their hockey and supported like no other.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

Why would u assume I thought the Coliseum was still there? I watched it being imploded. Yale and Quinnipiac both have arenas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->