Is the FHL slowly legitimizing itself?

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
only one who thinks stuff like this makes the fhl look like a joke?

Nah. People may be all, "This is REAL hockey", but while the Bubbas in Podunk will be going for this, the issue would be if said Bubbas will pay regularly to attend the games to support the FHL. Not to mention how history has shown that leagues that have built around smashmouth, in-your-face hockey with goons aplenty burn bright before flickering out.

Besides, the FHL, over the years, has had stunts that made people look at the league and go, "The hell is this?" like the fake fight. Sure, this is the antithesis, where there are genuine hostilities between the Enforcers and Thunderbirds, but one lawsuit can be enough to sink this league if they get carried away with it. Not to mention that after the season, they're more likely going to have to replace Mentor.

Reactions: mk80

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Well this happened... this league lol... also this is the 3rd incident by my count that Elmira has been involved in.

This is sick, vile, disgraceful and an embarrassment to the sport.

I loved every minute of it! Where can I get tickets for the next game between these teams and can they also set up a national broadcast on ABC,NBC,CBS or Fox???

Reactions: Dingo44

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
This is sick, vile, disgraceful and an embarrassment to the sport.

I loved every minute of it! Where can I get tickets for the next game between these teams and can they also set up a national broadcast on ABC,NBC,CBS or Fox???

It's really great that a player assaulted a fan. We need more of this in sports.

I can't wait for Bryce Harper to climb into the stands with a bat the next time the Phillies visit New York. Maybe Metta World Peace (Ron Artest) can make an NBA comeback.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
This is a question that needs to be asked again. This season, the league expanded to another large market and a former SPHL market in Columbus, as well as adding three teams in more typical FPHL arenas. I thought they were beginning to legitimize themselves more last season, but the controversy surrounding the Elmira franchise basically ruined their shot for last season. With the league reaching the size it has and the possibility of further southern expansion, is it possible that this is the season the Fed finally proves it's a legitimate league?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Too many bridges burned & checks bounced in their first 9 seasons to convince many hockey fans of league legitimacy. But poaching SPHL territories is an interesting strategy to pull the FPHL up on the coattails of the only true "Single A" hockey league in NA. :cool:

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
This is a question that needs to be asked again. This season, the league expanded to another large market and a former SPHL market in Columbus, as well as adding three teams in more typical FPHL arenas. I thought they were beginning to legitimize themselves more last season, but the controversy surrounding the Elmira franchise basically ruined their shot for last season. With the league reaching the size it has and the possibility of further southern expansion, is it possible that this is the season the Fed finally proves it's a legitimate league?

No, this won't be it.

Sure, they poached Columbus, and the team there might only lose $200,000 next year. Sure, Winston-Salem draws decent crowds. Sure, travel costs are less.

But when the economy goes south, as is widely predicted, how many owners are going to want to keep throwing money down this black hole of a league?

And yes, I'd say the same about the SPHL.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
No, this won't be it.

Sure, they poached Columbus, and the team there might only lose $200,000 next year. Sure, Winston-Salem draws decent crowds. Sure, travel costs are less.

But when the economy goes south, as is widely predicted, how many owners are going to want to keep throwing money down this black hole of a league?

And yes, I'd say the same about the SPHL.

Travel alone is a bitch in sports, what with costs of transportation and lodging expenses, not to mention if you're in a market where it's unlikely you'll recoup much due to the fact that people will, at best, see your team as a curiosity and, at worst, just ignore the product. That's why I find the existence of Mentor befuddling. Regardless, I'm certain that the FPHL likes the idea of Port Huron/Battle Creek/Mentor being close than if it was just Port Huron/Danville/Watertown like previous years.

Heck, independent baseball, which is something that I wonder about sometimes and if there's forums that discuss it, might be facing a big squeeze in a year or two, what with at least one team in one league (River City Rascals) folding for sure, and another one (Kansas City T-Bones) most likely folding due to being evicted over owing so much money, and we could see the prospect of one or two leagues being forced to merge together. The Frontier League lost two of its teams last year and River City is going to be another casualty for that league. And baseball is something that often is seen as having lower expenses than hockey.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

I think it's on its way. Danbury coming back is going to be big, Columbus looks to be very excited about getting hockey again, and even the last minute addition of Battle Creek is going to surprise this year.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Another shot at making hockey stick (no puns intended) in Bloomington, IL?

Federal Prospects Hockey League team may be headed to Bloomington
Randy Kindred, 1 hour ago (Nov 19, 2019)

BLOOMINGTON — The Federal Prospects Hockey League has scheduled a news conference for Wednesday at Grossinger Motors Arena that will include the league's commissioner and "the ownership group of the new Bloomington team," according to a press release Tuesday.

Among the announcements will be a partnership between the league and Grossinger Motors Arena for three neutral site regular-season games to be played at the downtown Bloomington arena during the current season between January and March 2020. ...

Read more at: Federal Prospects Hockey League team may be headed to Bloomington

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
And meanwhile, further south ...

Pro Hockey Returning to Memphis?

By Kori LaVire
November 18, 2019

MEMPHIS, Tenn. – I had resigned myself to life without hockey here in the Mid-South. The Mississippi RiverKings had come and gone, and I’d become okay with that. A new rumor surfaced every few months of their return, but I’ve never allowed myself even a glimmer of hope. “I’ll believe something when I see an official statement…” I’d always say when asked about the latest rumor.

This past Monday, a friend invited me to like a page on Facebook called “Pro Hockey Returns to Memphis”. Feeling skeptical (but ready to be entertained at the latest rumor or fan petition), I accepted and went to see what it was all about. The first thing I noticed were my photos. The familiar feeling of pride and sorrow washed over me as I clicked on the “About” section. My eyes narrowed as I read down the page. I was feeling skeptical, but somehow clinging to a tiny sliver of hope I didn’t know I was still hanging onto.

I messaged the page, hoping for clarification. I wasn’t disappointed as a reply came quickly and thoroughly.

Andreas Johansson, a real estate developer and investor living in Palm Beach, has been talking for a couple of years with some of the athletes and celebrities he works with about owning a minor league hockey team. In the last 18 months, the talk has turned into plans, and those plans may find a home in Southaven, former home of the RiverKings. ...

Read more at: Pro Hockey Returning to Memphis? | The Sin Bin

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I think adding Memphis and Bloomington would make it a legitimate league for sure. The only reason the league is having a problem with a few teams is how fast they went into a market (BC and Mentor). If they had timed it better, theyd have 10 legitimate teams

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I think adding Memphis and Bloomington would make it a legitimate league for sure. The only reason the league is having a problem with a few teams is how fast they went into a market (BC and Mentor). If they had timed it better, theyd have 10 legitimate teams

They have a long way to go before they become legitimate. This league has regularly had teams fold mid-season, used road only teams, had off-ice brawls involving owners, staged fights, and on-ice drinking. They have rightly faced lawsuits, which is a suspected reason for the change of league name.

The league is getting better. But like a drug addicted relative, just because they're cleaning up their act doesn't mean that they are no longer a total dumpster fire. The Fed is stable and has a future for the first time in its history, but the Fed can easy find a way throw it away in about 2 weeks.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

The league is definitely on the upswing. Poor Battle Creek got the Mentor treatment this year but Mentor is now one of the top teams in the East, so a lot can change. Looking forward to checking that rink out and them hopefully getting a win or two.

Moving into Bloomington and Memphis both look like slam dunks. Danbury is this year's Elmira. Delaware seem to be holding their own.

Had a blast at the Thunderbirds game on Saturday. People are passionate for sure.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
And the Soskin Hockey League will expand once more ... :facepalm:

Back in the game: Hockey returning to Bloomington-Normal with Federal Prospects Hockey League franchise

RANDY KINDRED
36 min ago (Nov 20, 2019)

BLOOMINGTON — Vowing to spend money on marketing and promotion and to put an "exciting, fast, hard-hitting" product on the ice, Barry Soskin is intent on making hockey sustainable in Bloomington-Normal.

Soskin is majority owner of a new Federal Prospects Hockey League franchise in Bloomington that will begin play in the 2020-21 season. ...

Soskin said the team has a multi-year lease with the arena and is expected to play 28 to 30 home games next season. The FPHL, which is in its 10th season, has 10 teams this year, including a franchise in Danville owned by Soskin, and is likely to expand to 13 to 14 by next season, he said.

The season typically runs from late October to late April.

"I think you'll find we have a few tricks up our sleeves," Soskin said during an afternoon news conference at Grossinger Motors Arena. "We're about marketing and promotion. It takes money to make money and we'll spend it to make it work right here. We need to do that as well as have a great product on the ice.

"We'll be here as long as the fans want us here. I fully believe that." ...

Read more at: Back in the game: Hockey returning to Bloomington-Normal with Federal Prospects Hockey League franchise

Drake88

Aug 17, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised to see a team at the Sears Centre next year...

Soskin mentioned the possibility of 14 teams next year and while hockey has never worked at the arena, it does make geographic sense with Danville and now Bloomington. The league has been gambling on old markets with hopes that their low cost model may work and so far it has worked fairly well, so I could see them being intrigued by the arena and entering a bigger market.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I wouldn't be surprised to see a team at the Sears Centre next year...The league has been gambling on old markets with hopes that their low cost model may work and so far it has worked fairly well, so I could see them being intrigued by the arena and entering a bigger market.
Considering the apparent thirsts of Soskin & Kirnan for Midwest expansion, I wouldn't be surprised to hear either/both Hoffman Estates and St. Charles, MO popping up in their near-term discussion. They both meet the Bloomington hockey market model: Sports communities familiar with the game, strong youth hockey programs in the region, medium-sized arenas with ice plants that are starving for tenants, tried & failed more than once to support upper level junior and/or lower level pro hockey. The magic lies in making that last condition disappear below the stage.

Drake88

Aug 17, 2011
I find this league very intriguing considering it seems they are doing something similar to the IHL 2.0 just at a way lower budget obviously.
Considering the apparent thirsts of Soskin & Kirnan for Midwest expansion, I wouldn't be surprised to hear either/both Hoffman Estates and St. Charles, MO popping up in their near-term discussion. They both meet the Bloomington hockey market model: Sports communities familiar with the game, strong youth hockey programs in the region, medium-sized arenas with ice plants that are starving for tenants, tried & failed more than once to support upper level junior and/or lower level pro hockey. The magic lies in making that last condition disappear below the stage.

Couldn't agree more. I could easily see both Hoffman Estates and St. Charles having teams next year. This is an interesting time for the league as they continue to try and move from rinks to arenas. Considering the success that Elmira/Columbus/Carolina have experienced, I would imagine it has become easier to convince other old markets that their model can work. Especially considering the 2,000-3,000 that all these markets used to average works in the Federal League.

However, the main concern I have, is that eventually one of these old pro market will have to flop. The league has had a nice run of success, but dealing with cities that have been burned so many times in the past is tricky. It is impossible for every expansion team to experience the success of some of the recent teams they have brought in. Sooner or later, they are going to run in to a market that is too expensive or is not ready for the league's style of play.

Although their focus seems to be on the Midwest and South right now, I would not be surprised if they tried to go after a market on the East coast as well. Maybe somewhere like Trenton. If the league is serious about getting to 14 teams next season, it will be interesting to see which direction they take to get there. Will they keep going after bigger fish with arenas or follow their old model and pick up more teams in community rinks? It seems they will have to make a decision soon, considering it is already pretty clear that last summer's expansion plan tried the best of both worlds and that has not really worked with Columbus/Danbury performing well and Battle Creek/Delaware not doing so great. Not only will next summer be telling for the direction of the league, if they pick up a couple more "big" markets could it also price out existing smaller markets that simply cant pack people in to their rink due to capacity issues or attract players without an arena? It seems that as long as teams like Battle Creek or Mentor are in the league, there will always be a divide. I can not picture many players willingly reporting to the smaller market teams which would essentially make the farm clubs for the big boys.

I find this league very intriguing considering it seems they are doing something similar to the IHL 2.0 just at a way lower budget obviously. We also really have not seen an un-affiliated league with 12+ teams since the UHL and that right at the end of minor league hockey's heyday with 100+ teams a year.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... the main concern I have, is that eventually one of these old pro market will have to flop. The league has had a nice run of success, but dealing with cities that have been burned so many times in the past is tricky. It is impossible for every expansion team to experience the success of some of the recent teams they have brought in. ...
If there's one thing the F(P)HL has proven to be good at, it's franchise flops. And they either manage to deflect the blame to the local owners/market, or they use the short news cycle to bury their failures quickly & move on. Those a examples of the "few tricks up our sleeves" that Soskin mentioned during the BLM press conference. :popcorn:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I had no problem with the quality of product that the FHL put on the ice when they were in Dayton (Demonz/Demolition).

I'd consider it a semi pro league given the quality of play and the salaries. Nothing wrong with attempting to fill that niche.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... If the league is serious about getting to 14 teams next season, it will be interesting to see which direction they take to get there. Will they keep going after bigger fish with arenas or follow their old model and pick up more teams in community rinks? It seems they will have to make a decision soon, considering it is already pretty clear that last summer's expansion plan tried the best of both worlds and that has not really worked with Columbus/Danbury performing well and Battle Creek/Delaware not doing so great. Not only will next summer be telling for the direction of the league, if they pick up a couple more "big" markets could it also price out existing smaller markets that simply cant pack people in to their rink due to capacity issues or attract players without an arena? It seems that as long as teams like Battle Creek or Mentor are in the league, there will always be a divide. I can not picture many players willingly reporting to the smaller market teams which would essentially make the farm clubs for the big boys. ...
Don't forget that the "P" in "FPHL" stands for "Prospects." Reading their team rosters, they already list "Rookie" and "Pro" players. So they may be on to a longer term strategy of formalizing the "divide" that you cite, by establishing a tiered development system ala international soccer. "Silly Season" has started 6 months early.

ETA: I'm not suggesting that the FPHL is seeking larger venues solely to establish a tiered system. All we can do is speculate.

Last edited:
Reactions: iamjs

Drake88

Aug 17, 2011
Don't forget that the "P" in "FPHL" stands for "Prospects." Reading their team rosters, they already list "Rookie" and "Pro" players. So they may be on to a longer term strategy of formalizing the "divide" that you cite, by establishing a tiered development system ala international soccer. "Silly Season" has started 6 months early.

That's interesting. Just so were on the same page, you're thinking that they could be looking to do something like what I have listed below? For the purposes of the example, just used the 10 current teams and Bloomington and Memphis...

FHL / Tier 1 - Carolina, Elmira, Bloomington, Columbus, Danbury, Memphis
FPHL / Tier 2 - Danville, Watertown, Battle Creek, Delaware, Mentor, Port Huron

Honestly, if they wanted to get crazy, they could also do some sort of relegation/promotion to really set themselves apart from the traditional set-up of North American minor league hockey. "Tier 1" could give players a chance to get noticed by higher leagues while still remaining independent. "Tier 2" gives some communities that probably would not have a pro team, someone to root for and guys that want to keep going somewhere to play.

I wonder if something like this, where the "Tier 1" teams are focused on their own product and icing the best team possible, would be attractive to other cities. Possibly even cities currently in higher leagues.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
That's interesting. Just so were on the same page, you're thinking that they could be looking to do something like what I have listed below? For the purposes of the example, just used the 10 current teams and Bloomington and Memphis...

FHL / Tier 1 - Carolina, Elmira, Bloomington, Columbus, Danbury, Memphis
FPHL / Tier 2 - Danville, Watertown, Battle Creek, Delaware, Mentor, Port Huron ...
Check my "ETA:" note above. Giving it further thought over my lunch hour, I'd say it's far more likely that Barry is simply beefing up his personal Western Division to position himself for one or more of the following: (a) stability/growth of the teams he owns; (b) opportunities of further expansion; (c) breaking away from Don Kirnan's league with his own collection of teams (maybe with a partner or two among the team ownership groups but with Soskin clearly in charge). Again, all speculation. Time will tell.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Another shot at making hockey stick (no puns intended) in Bloomington, IL?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a team at the Sears Centre next year...

Soskin mentioned the possibility of 14 teams next year and while hockey has never worked at the arena, it does make geographic sense with Danville and now Bloomington. The league has been gambling on old markets with hopes that their low cost model may work and so far it has worked fairly well, so I could see them being intrigued by the arena and entering a bigger market.

If I may give my two cents on these markets, as a current Bloomington-Normal resident and a former Hoffman Estates resident (who is probably the only person alive that still regularly wears Chicago Express gear, aka the best-fitting hat I own)....

Good luck to both possibilities.

First, Bloomington.... this is a college town first, last, and almost only. I'd love to have an immediately local hockey option higher than the ACHA, but this market has yet to show itself as capable of sustaining a hockey team. Maybe the F(P)HL has such low operating costs that the barrier to surviving is very low, but even still I have doubts when all other forms of pro and junior hockey have failed at the gate. My honest hunch is that the only way a hockey team would be successful here would be if Illinois State got a varsity hockey program, which ain't happening. But hey, I'd give a new team in town a whirl.

Regarding the Sears Centre, I have my doubts as well. That's a cursed arena for all sports teams, and hockey included, with the Hounds and Express being one and dones, the relatively stable indoor football Chicago Slaughter being long since gone, and fromwhat I understand the Windy City Bulls only make by thanks to the NBA Bulls preferring a cheap call-up if necessary and don't mind losses at the gate in Hoffman. With two very well-followed hockey teams in market already in the NHL and AHL, I don't see the northwest suburbs clamoring for a third lesser team in an arena that's a bit of a pain to get to and a bit costly to park at (at least from past experience).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad