Is the Carter Hart hype premature?

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
He has but its not his fault. Most flyers players tend to be overrated. Same as the Habs. Their players will always be overrated.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Yes. Devils fans did the same thing last offseason with Schneider believing he was magically fixed because he ended the season on a high note.

Hart played in big games all season and fared very well, Blackwood had a hot streak at the end of the season with no pressure on with the Devils playing meaningless hockey.

Let's see Blackwood play that well consistently over the course of a full season first.

I am not falling for the end of season meaningless wins in no pressure situations mirage again (cough cough Adam Gase).

You do realize they played the same amount of games? Winning games in the second half of the year counts less? Even though most teams are fighting for the playoffs? I can use your logic against you, Hart plays for a better team and therefore his stats should be ummm better. Aka Hart is Not terrible but Definitely overrated.

Most Devils fans wanted Schneider gone last summer, and the summer before that but Shero didn’t pull the trigger. One of many straws.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
You do realize they played the same amount of games? Winning games in the second half of the year counts less? Even though most teams are fighting for the playoffs? I can use your logic against you, Hart plays for a better team and therefore his stats should be ummm better. Aka Hart is Not terrible but Definitely overrated.

Most Devils fans wanted Schneider gone last summer, and the summer before that but Shero didn’t pull the trigger. One of many straws.
Eh I ain’t gonna lie, because I hate the Flyers and think their fans are grade A a-holes. But buddy is right. Don’t act like when a team is already trash they’re not gonna play relaxed. It’s like being chill after already getting your booty took. Duh what else are you gonna do?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Eh I ain’t gonna lie, because I hate the Flyers and think their fans are grade A a-holes. But buddy is right. Don’t act like when a team is already trash they’re not gonna play relaxed. It’s like being chill after already getting your booty took. Duh what else are you gonna do?

Hahaha 5 of those games were against the Kings (2x), Red Wings, Senators and Sharks

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Hahaha 5 of those games were against the Kings (2x), Red Wings, Senators and Sharks
Oh shit you’re not even a Flyers fan. But like I guess NJ and NYR got smoke, but like I don’t even hate the Devils and their goaltending is straight doo doo. McKenzie Blackwood? Ain’t that a girls name b?

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Hold the phone, those teams are super “relaxed” from all the losing and should be tougher outs...
Believe there’s a famous scene in Requiem for a Dream that encapsulates those games perfectly.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Hold the phone, those teams are super “relaxed” from all the losing and should be tougher outs...

Yes, I am sure two non-playoff teams with nothing to play for in early March is the definition of intense pressure must win hockey.

Man I can't wait for the Jets to beat the Patriots on Sunday and lock Sam Darnold in as our QB for the next decade

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Believe there’s a famous scene in Requiem for a Dream that encapsulates those games perfectly.

Hey dont you remember Ryan Spooner scored 16 points in 20 meaningless post deadline games with the Rangers after getting traded out of Boston?

That was sure a great indication of the elite scorer he was about to become!!

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Hey dont you remember Ryan Spooner scored 16 points in 20 meaningless post deadline games with the Rangers after getting traded out of Boston?

That was sure a great indication for what was to come!
Dude I don’t even know who Ryan Spooner is. But I’m a Habs fan so trust I’ve seen my fair share of these type of players. Devils just haven’t been shit long enough for their fans to understand that the experts know what the experts know.

Reactions: JT Kreider

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He’s only 22 years old. In the islanders Vs Flyers Series in the bubble he impressed the hell out of me. He was under siege and left out to dry many times and bailed his team out with big saves. The numbers might not reflect it but if you watched the series you could see his talent. For a 21 year old at the time it was impressive.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Goalies are an enigma. You could convince me Hart could win the Vezina just as easily as you could convince me Hart will have a down year. It's the one position I probably would never bet any amount of money on a player having a good or bad year.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
He had a really nice year. I don't get why he's considered overrated yet. That's not until he completely steals Carey Price's soul. In the battle of Hart's progress vs. AV led Teams doing more AV things every year, he should be ok for year two.

The Bruins and Islanders (even with Barzal missing some time with a holdout if it goes that long) are probably the only two teams that should get in the postseason. Positions 3-6 are going to be a dog fight between Flyers (will the AV kick in yet?)/Capitals (can the goaltending and 4-6 d hold up?)/Rangers (can Jacques Martin get them to play D and PK better?)/Penguins (the team of misfit toys that may or may not gel).

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
He’s only 22 years old. In the islanders Vs Flyers Series in the bubble he impressed the hell out of me. He was under siege and left out to dry many times and bailed his team out with big saves. The numbers might not reflect it but if you watched the series you could see his talent. For a 21 year old at the time it was impressive.
Hart was the biggest reason the flyers made it to 7 games against the islanders, he was the Flyers' best player in that series.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I think what the OP is trying to say is that people have agreed that Hart is at a certain level without much discussion to say otherwise. Hence, they think he quietly became overrated.

Reactions: Shawnathon

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
As a Flyers fan, I would put Hart in the average to above average starter category (somewhere from 10th to 15th overall) right now. Obviously he is young and can still improve, but he needs to prove he can carry his strong play a bit longer for me personally to rank him any higher.

I do feel like some think he is greater than he is right now. Still like him more than Blackwood though :sarcasm:

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Player A: 70gp .916% 2.72GAA 5 S/O
Player B: 74gp .915% 2.59GAA 1S/O

Umm yeah, Hart is overrated. Blackwood also plays for what many would consider a worst team.

P.S Hart gets a lot of bonus points for his age.

Player A Ages 20-22 NHL Stats: [No data to go here]
Player B Ages 20-22 NHL Stats: 74gp .915% 2.59GAA 1S/O (not to mention an additional: 14gp .926% SV 2.23 GAA 2S/O in the playoffs)

I know which of those look better to me.

Reactions: Tripod

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The Hart hype is based on consistent performance at every level he's played. It's warranted. But goalies are funny and NHL longevity is a tough thing for a goalie. I think the hype is warranted but we will have to revisit in a couple years.

Reactions: Tripod

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017

That was sure a great indication of the elite scorer he was about to become!!
Nice analogy. When Strome plays at a borderline elite level for two years, behind a piss poor defensive team, get back to me.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
He was pretty poor against Montreal in the playoffs. I think he's probably still among the best young goalie. Will be really good for years to come.
He had a .936 SV% and 1.94 GAA with 2 shutouts in the Habs series. The Flyers won a 6 game series scoring just 11 total goals and somehow Hart was poor in the series?

Reactions: Vikke and Tripod

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I guess it depends what you consider overrated. Sure, if someone says he's one of the top 50 players in the NHL that's a stretch and if someone puts him in the top 5 among goalies, that's definitely overrating him. I think Hart is somewhere around the 10-13 range right now with a good chance to break into the top 10 this season. Considering he just turned 22 in the offseason that's pretty impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad