Is the Carter Hart hype premature?

Shawnathon

Jul 25, 2012
Just as a disclaimer, I’m not making this thread to create hate for Carter Hart. I think he’s a very good young goalie and could be at the top in the future in regards to elite goalies. What I’m posting is in regards to where he stands today. I’ve seen his name in several top 50 player lists as well as people ranking him high in top 10 goaltending lists. My question is, does his current resume command that type of respect. Removing age and potential, he’s only appeared in 74 games with a .915 save percentage, a 2.59, and one shutout. These are good stats, but they certainly don’t warrant the praise of being in the conversation with other elite goalies yet. His career high in games played is only 43 so the sample size is also small. My question is do you think the media and fans are going overboard on hyping this goalie up?

Mod edit: revised title requested by thread starter.

Last edited by a moderator:

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
There’s been a sort-of dearth of exciting young goaltenders for Canada lately. Combine that with a lot of older Canadian goalies fading out. There’s gotta be someone to hype up.

Not that I even see all that much talk about Hart anyways, but I guess that’s the “silent” part. Maybe?

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
Overrating young players who have really strong starts to their careers is commonplace. Some of them match the hype and projections for the majority of their careers while the majority do not. So his rating should have been expected and only time will determine if people went overboard.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Just as a disclaimer, I’m not making this thread to create hate for Carter Hart. I think he’s a very good young goalie and could be at the top in the future in regards to elite goalies. What I’m posting is in regards to where he stands today. I’ve seen his name in several top 50 player lists as well as people ranking him high in top 10 goaltending lists. My question is, does his current resume command that type of respect. Removing age and potential, he’s only appeared in 74 games with a .915 save percentage, a 2.59, and one shutout. These are good stats, but they certainly don’t warrant the praise of being in the conversation with other elite goalies yet. His career high in games played is only 43 so the sample size is also small. My question is do you think the media and fans are going overboard on hyping this goalie up?

Explain the "silently" part of your premise.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He's actually underrated. The scorekeepers at Wells Fargo Center have exhibited a pattern of erroneously reporting that shots are taken further from the net than they actually are over the past few seasons. If not for this pattern (which I call "scorekeeper bias"), analytics nerds would be saying that Hart is comfortably a top-10 goalie in the league and borderline top-5.

Reactions: snoop88 and Sasso09

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
how so? He's performed much better than Hart on a way worse team.

In 12 games. 12 games is nothing, and definitely doesn't warrant the "next Hasek" level of hype out of Rangers fans.

Plenty of goalies have looked great for part of a season then disappeared.

For one, Andrew Hammond in 2014-15:

24 games
20-1-2
.941/1.79

After that plays 31 games over 3 seasons before leaving the league. In those 31 games he went 7-14-4 with a GAA over 3

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I do think his numbers so far don't line up with some of the hype he has gotten, but I think it's more "premature" than "overrated". He's a very good young goalie with enormous upside.

This is the same way I feel as well. I think Canada’s weaker then normal depth in goal is also another reason all eyes seem to be on Hart. Behind Price whose starting to get older, the depth dips off a lot so naturally the Canadian media is pumping his tires given his potential. I do see where the OP is coming from tho. But like you said, premature is a much better word to use then overrated considering he’s only 22 years old with one full season under his belt.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
In 12 games. 12 games is nothing, and definitely doesn't warrant the "next Hasek" level of hype out of Rangers fans.

Plenty of goalies have looked great for part of a season then disappeared.

For one, Andrew Hammond in 2014-15:

24 games
20-1-2
.941/1.79

After that plays 31 games over 3 seasons before leaving the league. In those 31 games he went 7-14-4 with a GAA over 3
Thatcher Demko was a god after 3 games. He is now known as Thatchimus Decimus Demkoious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad