Is the Carter Hart hype premature?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
In 12 games. 12 games is nothing, and definitely doesn't warrant the "next Hasek" level of hype out of Rangers fans.

Plenty of goalies have looked great for part of a season then disappeared.

For one, Andrew Hammond in 2014-15:

24 games
20-1-2
.941/1.79

After that plays 31 games over 3 seasons before leaving the league. In those 31 games he went 7-14-4 with a GAA over 3
It’s not just Rangers fans, Shesterkin has been hyped up for years.

Plus, goaltending is literally the only thing the Rangers don’t f*** up, so I think he’ll be fine. :laugh:

Last edited:

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Just as a disclaimer, I’m not making this thread to create hate for Carter Hart. I think he’s a very good young goalie and could be at the top in the future in regards to elite goalies. What I’m posting is in regards to where he stands today. I’ve seen his name in several top 50 player lists as well as people ranking him high in top 10 goaltending lists. My question is, does his current resume command that type of respect. Removing age and potential, he’s only appeared in 74 games with a .915 save percentage, a 2.59, and one shutout. These are good stats, but they certainly don’t warrant the praise of being in the conversation with other elite goalies yet. His career high in games played is only 43 so the sample size is also small. My question is do you think the media and fans are going overboard on hyping this goalie up?
He's easily top 10

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
He was pretty poor against Montreal in the playoffs. I think he's probably still among the best young goalie. Will be really good for years to come.
He was fantastic vs Montreal, he outplayed price and that's why they won

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

There's many reasons Philly won, Hart helped but the whole team did well shutting down the Habs. Philly played a good system but giving him this much credit takes away from the team effort that beat the Habs

Reactions: Sasso09

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
In 12 games. 12 games is nothing, and definitely doesn't warrant the "next Hasek" level of hype out of Rangers fans.

Plenty of goalies have looked great for part of a season then disappeared.

For one, Andrew Hammond in 2014-15:

24 games
20-1-2
.941/1.79

After that plays 31 games over 3 seasons before leaving the league. In those 31 games he went 7-14-4 with a GAA over 3

I'll never understand why no one wants to give credit for how someone plays outside of the NHL. Shestyorkin has been widely hailed as one of if not the best goalie outside the league and has had crazy success anywhere he's played. You can judge goalies on their talent just like elite prospects, not just their numbers in the NHL. It was very clear based on his game and his numbers outside the NHL that Hammond was a flash in the pan and he wouldn't sustain his success. Everything points to Shestyorkin likely continuing to perform at a high level.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I'll never understand why no one wants to give credit for how someone plays outside of the NHL. Shestyorkin has been widely hailed as one of if not the best goalie outside the league and has had crazy success anywhere he's played. You can judge goalies on their talent just like elite prospects, not just their numbers in the NHL. It was very clear based on his game and his numbers outside the NHL that Hammond was a flash in the pan and he wouldn't sustain his success. Everything points to Shestyorkin likely continuing to perform at a high level.
Still doesn't put him ahead of Hart who's more accomplished and 3 years younger

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
There's many reasons Philly won, Hart helped but the whole team did well shutting down the Habs. Philly played a good system but giving him this much credit takes away from the team effort that beat the Habs
Also the 2019-2020 Habs couldn’t score in a soccer net. 2nd in shots on goal...18th in goals scored.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Hart is a little overrated at the moment.

He is a good young goaltender. But I have seen him get some mentions as the best goaltender in the NHL. And I don't see anything he has done to deserve that type of acclaim.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Because unlike pre-1990, the best players are in the NHL. I have no problem with Shesterkin and Rangers fans being excited for him, but he is overhyped. I view him like I did Lalime when he broke in (or Hammond as earlier stated). There’s not enough body of work at the NHL level. He’s still a prospect at this point (whereas I view Hart like a modern day Jim Carey [enough of a body of work to deserve the hype but not enough to feel comfortable to say it’s deserved]).

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

How about being the first team in the division playing against the 12th?
Could it be a reason why they won too?

Hart is good, could even become great. Could become the heir to Price.

But until then, Price > Hart, hands down lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad