Is Stamkos a HOF lock?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
People mention Bure with Stamkos, but I think a better comparison might be Kariya. Started out with a bang as one of the best in the league in a high-scoring duo on a poor team for a few years, then slowed down with injuries and continued on as a good player, but not usually mentioned among the very best again. Both played on better teams as they got older, but neither had much individual playoff success. Stamkos's 2 Rockets give him more hardware, but their peak values are pretty similar. Stamkos looks like he will age better, and last year was better than anything Kariya did after his early 20s, but I think their reputations were pretty similar through their 20s. It took Kariya awhile to get in, but he ended up in, and I think Stammer would go a similar route if he never played another game (obviously with a more standard career arc he would get in more easily)

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Stamkos had a bad stretch after the broken leg. It took him a while to figure out this new version of himself. But he's playing at an elite, HOF level again now. Do I think he's a lock? Not yet. He will be if he wins a cup (the playoffs remain the biggest red mark in his resume) or another major piece of hardware. I think he's on track to be in the HOF though. But if he retired today, I don't think he makes it.

Reactions: the4thlinegrinder

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
People mention Bure with Stamkos, but I think a better comparison might be Kariya. Started out with a bang as one of the best in the league in a high-scoring duo on a poor team for a few years, then slowed down with injuries and continued on as a good player, but not usually mentioned among the very best again. Both played on better teams as they got older, but neither had much individual playoff success. Stamkos's 2 Rockets give him more hardware, but their peak values are pretty similar. Stamkos looks like he will age better, and last year was better than anything Kariya did after his early 20s, but I think their reputations were pretty similar through their 20s. It took Kariya awhile to get in, but he ended up in, and I think Stammer would go a similar route if he never played another game (obviously with a more standard career arc he would get in more easily)

Stamkos >>> Kariya

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
He’s probably already ahead of Bure. Someone brought up Kariya. While I firmly believe that Paul was the better player, Stamkos’ career looks more complete. Anyway at this point he’s certainly ahead of LaFontaine, Recchi and Sundin, all legit HoFers to me.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Marcel Dionne is in. Thornton is going in.

Not everyone is Rocket Richard.
Thornton and Stamkos get way too much flak compared to peers. Thornton goes from a 0.95 ppg player in the reg to a .8 ppg player in the playoffs (his SJ stats). While that is a decent drop, compared to many peers on their level it's rather typical.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
His playoff resume is shady at best. He needs a Conn Smythe to be first ballot imo.
But that’s not the bar that is set for induction into the HOF. Based on how players are currently inducted, and have done so for some time, he’s most likely a 1st ballot inductee. Ovi is arguably the best goal scorer of all time, so the fact Stamkos is remotely close to him statistically over some stretches of his career speaks volumes.

On a side note, I think Kovi gets in also as it’s not the NHL Hall of Fame and the rest of his career qualifies him.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
He’s probably already ahead of Bure. Someone brought up Kariya. While I firmly believe that Paul was the better player, Stamkos’ career looks more complete. Anyway at this point he’s certainly ahead of LaFontaine, Recchi and Sundin, all legit HoFers to me.

Mark Recchi has 700 more points than Stammer and 100 more playoff points. 3 Stanley Cups. 12th all-time in points. And was a heckuva player back in the day.
You can prefer Stamkos's game and peak - but career-wise he's not in the same arena as Recchi.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Lol no he's not. He's had a little better overall career due to the Richards and a couple better post-peak seasons, but their best 5 year periods are pretty even, and overall their status in the league has been fairly similar.

Kariya is hella overrated

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Mark Recchi has 700 more points than Stammer and 100 more playoff points. 3 Stanley Cups. 12th all-time in points. And was a heckuva player back in the day.
You can prefer Stamkos's game and peak - but career-wise he's not in the same arena as Recchi.

Recchi's career has certainly the advantage of being completed. But it's not like what's separating the two is a bunch of all-stars teams or Hart consideration. At this point what Recchi has on Stamkos is 10 years of playing at Jason Arnott's level. Outside of the Stanley Cups I don't know how much weight it really adds in the balance of what is ''great''.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Recchi's career has certainly the advantage of being completed. But it's not like what's separating the two is a bunch of all-stars teams or Hart consideration. At this point what Recchi has on Stamkos is 10 years of playing at Jason Arnott's level. Outside of the Stanley Cups I don't know how much weight it really adds in the balance of what is ''great''.

I get what you're saying but The Hall isn't just about whom was the best player or had the highest peak. Lindros, Kariya and Bure can all testify to how it doesn't get them fast-tracked.
Recchi's career is simply much much much more accomplished and greater than Stammer's. Stamkos will most likely be right there but at the moment it's not really close. And that's what I was reacting to.

p.s. 700 points is a massive difference. That's essentially the difference between Crosby and Plekanec.
p.p.s. under 250 players have even gotten 700 points and he has out-scored Stamkos by that.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Kariya was a 4 time post season AS and a Hart Trophy nominee.

If anything he is a bit underrated because people put to much emphasis, and not enough context, on career point/goal totals.
LW is like the shallowest position. Robitaille was postseason AS like 9 times or some shit and he's... fine.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
People like to call Ovechkin a one-trick pony.. Stamkos isn't really different in the way he scores goals.

Kariya had a larger arsenal of tools. Slicks hand and one of the fastest skaters in the NHL as well. Better playmaker.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I look at his career and I think it does compare favorably to guys like Kariya and Bure. Top notch offensive players with several standout seasons who had to deal with significant injuries but ended up PPG.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
People definitely overestimate what it takes to get into the HOF. It's not that much, Stamkos is easily in.

This specially that the HOF has pretty much caught from the back logs of the past, if it continue to introduce almost 3 nhler a year in the future, you can expect the average draft year's group to have a lot of HOFer in them.

In the 2000s they had 2.9 nhler a year in average (well some like Fetisov, Larionov, Makarov are mixed but still)

Say the predicted possible
2006 will have has possible Toews, Backstrom, Marchand
2007 will have only Kane
2008 will Stamkos, Doughty, Karlsson
2009 has Tavares, Hedman

If there is just 8 HOF in that group of drafted year in the next 60 year's, 2 time Rocket winners Stamkos look logical to be in it, if they go for 10 he start to be comfortable.

He is not a lock because maybe the bar could change and they will slow down with the volume, but if it stay like the Carbonneau-Andreychuk can get in and relatively short prime like Kariya can, it look good for Stamkos, is only 30 and just had 3 good season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad