Tribute Is Reavo the Worst Leaf Ever?

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Yup, no one’s perfect and he had his flaws but it feels like a certain type of person couldn’t get over the fact a guy who looked like the nice guy their daughter might bring home was running their hockey team and not some rough “lifer” as if Kyle isn’t the embodiment of a lifer himself, just at the beginning of that journey.
Also this start to the season is showing me that more of the issues lay at the feet of shanny and not Kyle.
I still think what really pushed Kyle out the door was him wanting to change this group up and shanny not having any of it.

Was Kyle on the ice for their failures? GM’s build teams players go on cup runs.
He built plenty of teams on paper that should’ve performed better than they did. That’s more on the guys in the room than the guy upstairs.
I started this thread to talk about the guys on the ice but as usual a certain corner of this place just can’t go 24 hours without screaming “Dooobasss”. Rent free forever in your heads.
Same people probably fly flags proclaiming their desire to sleep with the PM

I tried to give your sensationalist thread a chance. Didn't even get half way through the first page before seeing these two gems.

You brought up Dubas with some bizarre comparison to a nice guy our daughter might bring home, and then go to your usual insults when someone else mentions him negatively. It looks like maybe you're the one who can't go 24 hours without talking about him?

Also, the vast majority of people don't care how Dubas looks. This is a fallacy that people like yourself continually bring up over and over again while the "haters" rarely ever talk about it. They care about results, and his results were absolute failure.

Shanahan and Keefe are included in that as well. At least Shanahan has less nauseating soundbites than Dubas and Keefe, but considering he used his last bullet on a GM like Treliving doesn't bode well for him.

Reaves has sucked and should at most be played sparingly. Reaves and Klingberg were both bad signings imo. I think Domi and Bertuzzi will figure it out. The team would benefit alot more having a 4th line player that compliments Kampf.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I had suggested in this forum, signing Schenn for 4 years x $1.5 million. Ok, it's too long, but keeps the cap down, and still pays him well. I really didn't think anyone would offer more, but the Nashville contract is simply gross... $8.25 mil over three years.... ouch. Schenn can play hockey, and is tough.

I probably would have extended Gustafsson as well... Gives you options, and a puck mover. Not tough of course. Maybe Keefe just didn't like him, I don't know.

I would have gone after Comtois, and I still would. Four points in three games in the AHL so far, no NHL contract... he's not necessarily tough, but he's a big body, who needs his game rebuilt. He has the ability, and could be had for league minimum.

I think there are plenty of ways to get tougher, and still play hockey... and I think most of us fans have seen this need for some time... I think even the team that went into the playoffs last year was approaching what we need, though we could use a bit more still.

Reactions: Jmo89

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I had suggested in this forum, signing Schenn for 4 years x $1.5 million. Ok, it's too long, but keeps the cap down, and still pays him well. I really didn't think anyone would offer more, but the Nashville contract is simply gross... $8.25 mil over three years.... ouch. Schenn can play hockey, and is tough.

I probably would have extended Gustafsson as well... Gives you options, and a puck mover. Not tough of course. Maybe Keefe just didn't like him, I don't know.

I would have gone after Comtois, and I still would. Four points in three games in the AHL so far, no NHL contract... he's not necessarily tough, but he's a big body, who needs his game rebuilt. He has the ability, and could be had for league minimum.

I think there are plenty of ways to get tougher, and still play hockey... and I think most of us fans have seen this need for some time... I think even the team that went into the playoffs last year was approaching what we need, though we could use a bit more still.
I would definitely love to see Comtois signed and replace Reaves in the lineup.

Gregor - Kampf - Comtois

Honestly any one of Holmberg, McMann or Steeves would be an upgrade over Reaves.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I probably would have extended Gustafson as well... Gives you options, and a puck mover. Not tough of course. Maybe Keefe just didn't like him, I don't know.

Gustafsson is an odd one. Why did no one in the league value him at more than 825k?

Reactions: 1specter

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
What are all you Dubas fan boys whining about? Trade Reeves in the off-season along with the 1st round pick, move back 10-15 spots in the 2nd round and then claim that Tre is such a smart GM who "learns/admits his mistakes".

If he wants to replicate Dubas, he can then sign or trade for another washed up 4th liner to replace Reeves (ala Mrazk to Murray).

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
How is he doing at the moment?

Would you want us to add 11.5 mil of Karlsson for 4 years to be last in the division instead?
It’s 10m and he go out from some pretty crappy deals to bring him in as well.
Karlsson on the leafs is. Completely different experience than what we’re seeing in pitt and although it’s ugly there currently the group has the make up to pull out of it, and if not that’s why FSG gave him 7 years and $40-50m because they knew the potential existed that the wheels might fall off that team at any moment, and this assured him security to perform the tear down and rebuild as needed.
Still would’ve liked to of seen what kind of meaningful changes Kyle was going to make before shanny fired him.
Considering in his last presser as GM he said all card on the table nothing off limits then two days later he’s axed tells us all why shanny made the decision. Kyle wanted autonomy to change the team in a meaningful way and shanny wasn’t having it.
One thing is for sure, if the old GM signed Reaves it wouldn’t of been $4m over 3 years and he would’ve rectified the quickly becoming untenable situation of having an unplayable player clog up the roster, one thing he excelled at was fixing mistakes, which we all make.

What are all you Dubas fan boys whining about? Trade Reeves in the off-season along with the 1st round pick, move back 10-15 spots in the 2nd round and then claim that Tre is such a smart GM who "learns/admits his mistakes".

If he wants to replicate Dubas, he can then sign or trade for another washed up 4th liner to replace Reeves (ala Mrazk to Murray).
He already signed a washed up 4th liner and gave him $4m to come here.
In no world would the old GM would’ve ever committed that kind of resources to an obvious albatross that has such little upside potential.
Murray was a mistake and a gambler but if it hit they got a cup pedigree goalie for free.
If reaves was to “hit” he’s at best a playable 4th liner. Not even in the same stratosphere of impact.
Long shot gambles should have high end payoffs otherwise you’re just pissing away resources

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
It’s 10m and he go out from some pretty crappy deals to bring him in as well.
Karlsson on the leafs is. Completely different experience than what we’re seeing in pitt and although it’s ugly there currently the group has the make up to pull out of it, and if not that’s why FSG gave him 7 years and $40-50m because they knew the potential existed that the wheels might fall off that team at any moment, and this assured him security to perform the tear down and rebuild as needed.
Still would’ve liked to of seen what kind of meaningful changes Kyle was going to make before shanny fired him.
Considering in his last presser as GM he said all card on the table nothing off limits then two days later he’s axed tells us all why shanny made the decision. Kyle wanted autonomy to change the team in a meaningful way and shanny wasn’t having it.
One thing is for sure, if the old GM signed Reaves it wouldn’t of been $4m over 3 years and he would’ve rectified the quickly becoming untenable situation of having an unplayable player clog up the roster, one thing he excelled at was fixing mistakes, which we all make.

He already signed a washed up 4th liner and gave him $4m to come here.
In no world would the old GM would’ve ever committed that kind of resources to an obvious albatross that has such little upside potential.
Murray was a mistake and a gambler but if it hit they got a cup pedigree goalie for free.
If reaves was to “hit” he’s at best a playable 4th liner. Not even in the same stratosphere of impact.
Long shot gambles should have high end payoffs otherwise you’re just pissing away resources
So Matt Murray was "free" (taking up $4.7M of cap space per year for 2 more season when acquired) but Reeves is a boat anchor who signed as a free agent ($1.35M cap space per year for 3 seasons).

Matt Murray was at best a "gamble", if you paid attention to his recent career his Leaf tenure went the only way it was ever going to go. Dubas took his gamble on Marzek, paid assets to get rid of him to turn around a spend more of the cap on Murray.

Reactions: rocketman588

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Maybe not the worst leaf ever but maybe the worst signing. Not a good start for Treliving. 3 years for this guy??? Come on
how is a guy who's cap hit you can almost entirely dump in minors "maybe the worst signing ever" ?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Gustafsson is an odd one. Why did no one in the league value him at more than 825k?
Honestly, if I'm Gus I'm pissed the f*** off at Keefe and the Leafs. They brought him into a logjammed group and Keefe didn't know how to use him (what else is new?) and potentially cost him a nice contract after he had fairly productive year with Washington. We're also idiots for not trying to retain him at that price, though who knows if he'd come back knowing that Keefe wouldn't use him properly anyways.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
how is a guy who's cap hit you can almost entirely dump in minors "maybe the worst signing ever" ?

The cap hit is not the issue, but him playing is... but also, the worst signing ever is an exaggeration, there have been plenty worse.

I just hope this experiment lasts only 10-20 more games and not more.

Their takes are all over the top.

Klingberg is basically the Barrie mistake made again except we didn't burn a quality #2C in the process.

The complaining about Reaves having multiple years is a pointless complaint.

Klingberg is 10x worse than Barrie.

Barrie was productive under Keefe, not Babcock.

The Reaves complaint is pointless (still 200k of dead cap for no reason) unless he plays those 3 years.

No one is worried abut 200k (although it sucks cause we are 10's of thousands away from a healthy lineup with 21 players), it is just him being on the roster.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The cap hit is not the issue, but him playing is... but also, the worst signing ever is an exaggeration, there have been plenty worse.

I just hope this experiment lasts only 10-20 more games and not more.

Klingberg is 10x worse than Barrie.

Barrie was productive under Keefe, not Babcock.

The Reaves complaint is pointless (still 200k of dead cap for no reason) unless he plays those 3 years.

No one is worried abut 200k (although it sucks cause we are 10's of thousands away from a healthy lineup with 21 players), it is just him being on the roster.
if he's worse than Clifford or Simmonds were it's very minimal

and Barrie was much worse than Berg , i have no idea if you could actually call him a D the way he played

anyway , Dubies gone and you can rip on present mgmt all you want it won't bring him back so your energy would be better spent defending Dubie on the Pens board because the summer of Dubas has turned to shit real quick

Reactions: egd27

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Which you guys still go over the top with. One winger on the 4th line does not sink the team. There's obvious problems with the team and the attention the Reaves problem gets is way disproportionate compared to everything else.

Reactions: CincoHolio

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
if he's worse than Clifford or Simmonds were it's very minimal

and Barrie was much worse than Berg , i have no idea if you could actually call him a D the way he played

anyway , Dubies gone and you can rip on present mgmt all you want it won't bring him back so your energy would be better spent defending Dubie on the Pens board because the summer of Dubas has turned to shit real quick

I guess this is what it is like trying to respond to a child... I never brought up former management, you brought up comparisons and all I did was respond with an opinion. Solid contribution.

Barrie is worse than Klingberg by a lot.

Reaves is a better fighter than both players mentioned but that is about it.

Which you guys still go over the top with. One winger on the 4th line does not sink the team. There's obvious problems with the team and the attention the Reaves problem gets is way disproportionate compared to everything else.

Kampf looks terrible beside him and because of that Kampf has mostly played 3C.

It doesn't sink a team but has been sinking a line.

In 30 mins the line has been scored on 4 times and has 0 goals for.

So far the options are to get scored on once a game and score 0 goals with that line or Kampf plays 3C...

It is messing with the lines, that is the biggest concern from most I think.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I guess this is what it is like trying to respond to a child... I never brought up former management, you brought up comparisons and all I did was respond with an opinion. Solid contribution.

Barrie is worse than Klingberg by a lot.

Reaves is a better fighter than both players mentioned but that is about it.

Kampf looks terrible beside him and because of that Kampf has mostly played 3C.

It doesn't sink a team but has been sinking a line.

In 30 mins the line has been scored on 4 times and has 0 goals for.

So far the options are to get scored on once a game and score 0 goals with that line or Kampf plays 3C...

It is messing with the lines, that is the biggest concern from most I think.
my child is probably older than you are , lol

and you don't have to mention our former GM because every post you've made is about praising him and now that's he's gone you've done nothing but rip on the guy who fired him or the person who replaced him

it's always ground hog day around here and this is the same as Burke's army of supporters who were constantly lashing out when he was fired

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
As the title suggests. This guy literally does nothing out there. Ever. might be the worst player to ever actually lace up and play in the league.
Every single stat both fancy and traditional say he’s the worst skater in the whole league and the eye test isn’t much better. If he’s not going to drive guys like Marchand through the boards when they actively maim one of our useful players and he’s not going to retaliate Vs Carlo or someone else, then dare I ask “what is it you say you do here?” Cause from what I see he’s here for TikTok’s and vibes.
I thought Brett Lebda was the consensus?

I think the era of Brown, Orr, and McLaren, I mean those three are probably on par or worse.
I'd have to look it up.......the clip...........of McLaren lovingly beating the absolute shit out of the Habs tough guy in a blow out game for us.............

He was laughing while he was doing it. That was worth the price of admission.

So that guy did something that I'll never forget (gonna have to look it up brb)

edit: this

Last edited:

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Taking into account the hype and narrative about the guy from the Dubas club, I'd say it would have to be Mikko Lehtonen.

Reactions: hotpaws

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Gus at league min would have been much smarter than Klingberg at $4 mill .. and provides $3 mill in cap space usable elsewhere on the roster.

But on Reaves .. I think he can be an effective player in the right role. Which is a 13th forward. Not every game, just in cases where the team needs physicality or a spark. Give him appropriate rest so he has the legs to come out and be a factor not he 4th line. He simply can't keep up with the grind. Look at the first couple of games on the year, that's what he could bring.

Perhaps strategically the Leafs had to give him some rope to show he can still play, but will reign him back now that the writing on is on the wall.

Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad