Is OV a dark horse for the Hart?

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Well no he isnt as he could score 60 and be out of the top 15 in points.

It seems like some people are confusing the Richard and Hart trophies.
If Ovechkin scores 60, it will be a huge deal. I am not sure you are getting that.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If Ovechkin scores 60, it will be a huge deal. I am not sure you are getting that.

Why would it be a huge deal in isolation?

You do realize that there are close to a dozen players who might crack 50 this year?

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario

You do realize that there are close to a dozen players who might crack 50 this year?

Maybe so but it's still early. Have any of those 12 beyond Ovechkin ever scored 50 in a season? Don't think they have but I could be wrong.

Ovie and Laine would be the closest "locks" for 50 goals this season. Beyond that who knows.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
For all the reasons I've outlined above.

Leads the league in goals, the only Cap in the top 20 in points for pretty much the entire season, drags a dead in the water team that everybody had given up on to win the Division AGAIN. Just because the Capitals won the Cup people forget how bleak last season was, people had them dead after 2016 and the loss of so many players. Add to the face that Holtby suddenly forgot how to be a goaltender and you have one of Ovechkin's best years as a leader. He was awesome and every bit deserving to be a finalist, he was far more important to his team than Kopitar and a few secondary assists to have a higher point total don't change that.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Sure. He carried the Caps early in the season when the flameout hangover was taking its toll. He performed at a level unusual for the era and unusual for his age. He lead the league in goals.

He was overlooked. He was not taken seriously. We all know that. His team was not taken seriously. At least 75% of the hockey media had them losing in the first round. They thought the 49 goal/Rocket season was a nice trivia quiz answer but not relevant to the season just played.

They wont do that to him again. He proved in the playoffs that his team was not irrelevant. That his near 50 goals was relevant. That his leadership was significant. That his performance was more than a trivia quiz answer.

In retrospect, Ovechkin deserved far more attention for the Hart as John Carlson deserved far more attention for the Norris. I think that if Carlson leads the league in scoring from defense again (and he is tied for that today with games in hand) he will win the Norris. I think if Ovechkin wins another rocket, he gets Hart consideration. If he does something ridiculous like he is doing now, you cant ot give him that award.
It's funny you mention Carlson because while he is putting up points again this year, he's been pedestrian on defense whereas last year he was stellar for the most part. You're right though, they seem to be a year behind in recognizing new comers and he might just get the Norris nod this year when he really should've been there last.

Jan 21, 2018
If there's any positive from Chiarelli it's that he basically guarenteed McDavid the Hart if the Oilers make the playoffs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's funny you mention Carlson because while he is putting up points again this year, he's been pedestrian on defense whereas last year he was stellar for the most part. You're right though, they seem to be a year behind in recognizing new comers and he might just get the Norris nod this year when he really should've been there last.

The pedestrian on defense thing is in your eye but I don't agree. His even strength goal differential is the best on the team except for Kempny and Carlson is the lead player on that pair. I think his defense is better this season.

Backstrom is the same. He should get far more Selke notice that what he does and Ive heard many comments from national and out of town hockey media about his shutdown skills this season. With Bergeron injured it might be he gets a shot at it this season.

Winning that cup has earned several players on that team a fresh look by some. TJ Oshie is another one. The downfall of the Blues some are tracing back to losing Oshie. It also will include 8

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
For all the reasons I've outlined above.

Leads the league in goals, the only Cap in the top 20 in points for pretty much the entire season, drags a dead in the water team that everybody had given up on to win the Division AGAIN. Just because the Capitals won the Cup people forget how bleak last season was, people had them dead after 2016 and the loss of so many players. Add to the face that Holtby suddenly forgot how to be a goaltender and you have one of Ovechkin's best years as a leader. He was awesome and every bit deserving to be a finalist, he was far more important to his team than Kopitar and a few secondary assists to have a higher point total don't change that.

Funny that you mentioned Kopitar and his elite Selke worthy defensive play.

And man the whole secondary assists this is gettiin really old.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009

And collectively all of those not name Ovechkin have the same problem. Their next 50 goal season will be their first so until they prove they can do it they haven't. Ovy has seven 50 goal seasons, one of which was a 60 goal campaign so him being in that conversation is both nothing new and believable.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
The pedestrian on defense thing is in your eye but I don't agree. His even strength goal differential is the best on the team except for Kempny and Carlson is the lead player on that pair. I think his defense is better this season.

Backstrom is the same. He should get far more Selke notice that what he does and Ive heard many comments from national and out of town hockey media about his shutdown skills this season. With Bergeron injured it might be he gets a shot at it this season.

Winning that cup has earned several players on that team a fresh look by some. TJ Oshie is another one. The downfall of the Blues some are tracing back to losing Oshie. It also will include 8
I think Carlson will be fine and I certainly don't think he's a poor defensemen ala Mike Green, but he's been kinda coasting through the first 30 and making some brutal mistakes. I think back to the turnover against the Oilers in their first meeting and he's just asleep at the wheel.

Saying this, I guarantee in the final third of the season he's going to be right there and in the playoffs he's always been an elite performer.

Backstrom should be in the Selke every year so I'm with you 100%. So under appreciated.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If the Hart was awarded today Gaudreau and Kucherov would be top two easily. I probably go Gaudreau but the Pacific does stink so who knows?

Things chance every couple of weeks though.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I don't want to take anything from Ovi but he is riding unsustainable S%. I personally expect him to regress and I don't think he can win even rocket this year. But if he haves career year I would be happy for him.
This has aged well...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad