Is OV a dark horse for the Hart?

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
As usual it will come down to specifics. You think that McDavid getting the Art Ross and his team a WC spot out votes Ovechkin with an 8th 50 goal season and Richard Trophy on contender? I wouldn't count on. That.
Yes, I'm certain that it will. If McD wins the Art Ross and Edmonton makes the playoffs, I will eat my own morning shit and post a video of it in this forum if he doesn't win the Hart also.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yes, I'm certain that it will. If McD wins the Art Ross and Edmonton makes the playoffs, I will eat my own morning **** and post a video of it in this forum if he doesn't win the Hart also.

Ok/ Of course then, they have to make the playoffs

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
As usual it will come down to specifics. You think that McDavid getting the Art Ross and his team a WC spot out votes Ovechkin with an 8th 50 goal season and Richard Trophy on contender? I wouldn't count on. That.

Well Ovechkin had a 50 goal (49) Richard winning season last year on a contender and lost the Hart to Taylor Hall not winning the Art Ross.

McDavid putting a terrible team in the playoff Art Ross winner would be a very logical winner.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well Ovechkin had a 50 goal (49) Richard winning season last year on a contender and lost the Hart to Taylor Hall not winning the Art Ross.

McDavid putting a terrible team in the playoff Art Ross winner would be a very logical winner.

Except that while the voting media admitted to be impressed by the 49 none of them thought the Caps were contenders. Right? Most of them had Columbus winning the first round and all of them had Pittsburgh in the second round.

As that attitude shaped their voting which is finished before the playoffs start, not surprised he wasn't considered. He was Captain of a joke. A punch line. Now, its different. A lot different.

Reactions: hockey4sale

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

I agree.

What if McDavid gets 100 points the Oilers make the playoffs but Rantanen wins the Ross and the Avs make the playoffs, or any number of scenarios like that one?

Regardless, Ovechkin has no chance unless he does something insane.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009

So is a 60+ goal Ovechkin.

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
He's not even close atm. But Crosby ovi malkin are definitely not done in the awards department
Is he not? 3 out of the top 6 forwards on the team have missed significant time this season, Carlson's been out a couple of times, Holtby's been pretty average, something's carrying the team.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Depends on winning the Rocket, and the goals / points margin.

If he...

- scores over 60 goals
- outpaces other goals scorers by 8+ goals
- over 100 points

Then he's gotta be a strong candidate. Being his 8th Rocket (a record), would tip the scales in his favor

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
He'll be considered, but I don't see how they can pick against Rantanen or McDavid if the Oilers make the playoffs. The award has historically been "the best player on a playoff team" award, the only reason it was funky last year was because McDavid was the best player and missed the playoffs.

It's McDavid's to lose. The award is "player most important to their team". The other day I was watching their game and they said McDavid was in on 50 % of the teams total points this season. 50% of the whole f***ing teams production he was involved in.

No one comes even close.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's McDavid's to lose. The award is "player most important to their team". The other day I was watching their game and they said McDavid was in on 50 % of the teams total points this season. 50% of the whole ****ing teams production he was involved in.

No one comes even close.

That has not been how the award has been given for 95% of the time it has been awarded. People cling to the definition when the definition isn't how the award is voted on, it is consistently "the best player on a playoff team". That's just how the award is voted.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Too much race track left to even think too much about it, other than in the "wouldn't it be cool" way.

My point really has been to suggest that the "no chance" perspective might be wrong. Nothing more. Who knows if he keeps this up or not. I admit to noticing a difference in his demeanor during these games that is different than the past. He doesn't celebrate like he used to

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
That has not been how the award has been given for 95% of the time it has been awarded. People cling to the definition when the definition isn't how the award is voted on, it is consistently "the best player on a playoff team". That's just how the award is voted.
took the words out of my mouth
if this wasn't the case then CM would be looking at a three-peat of Harts and T. Hall would be heartless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad