Is OV a dark horse for the Hart?

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Why Dark Horse? Truth is he should've been a finalist last year with how underwhelming the rest of his team performed in the regular season and he's better across the board right now. Last year he led the league in goals and for the better part of the year was the only Cap in the top 20 in points. They still win their division despite Holtby losing his mojo for the better part of 50 games and Ovi drags them to the playoffs where we know what happened.

Ovechkin at this point is underrated in the NHL, he doesn't get enough credit for what he does and what he does isn't touched by anyone in the league.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I could see a 66+ goal career year Ovy getting a lot of votes. No one else getting to 50 makes that look better. Right this minute the two top scorers on the same team (COL). That doesn't really differentiate each from the other. TBL has two in the top 10 so again, the Crosby/Malkin effect is in place. I still think it'd be a difficult sell though.

I'm just really enjoying how much fun he's obviously having this year.
If Ovechkin scores 60+ he should be a lock.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
If 8 scores 60+, which will be tough, and over 100 points, then he just may..but he better hope that Rantanen doesn't score 130. It hasn't been done in like twenty or more years and that alone will win him the Hart + Art.

But a 60+40 season is so dominant that Ovie would almost have to win the Hart as goals are soooo valuable.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Would love to see what Crosby Stans say if he wins a 4th Hart, putting him 2nd only to Howe/Gretz ... & ahead of Lemieux. At 33 years old.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Well Ovechkin had a 50 goal (49) Richard winning season last year on a contender and lost the Hart to Taylor Hall not winning the Art Ross.

McDavid putting a terrible team in the playoff Art Ross winner would be a very logical winner.
Which in retrospect was pretty terrible. I'm not saying Ovi should have won it but what he did for the Capitals last year was easily MVP worthy and he should have been a finalist.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Which in retrospect was pretty terrible. I'm not saying Ovi should have won it but what he did for the Capitals last year was easily MVP worthy and he should have been a finalist.

As said previous. When the votes were cast it was pre playoffs and the Caps were essentially looked upon with the respect of a team that missed the playoffs. They were not a serious team

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
OVI should be a favourite for the hart.

Eichel would be a dark horse. Looks like he’s having that Mackinnon (from last year) type season. Felt the need to specify from last year since he’s outscored him multiple times.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He'll be considered, but I don't see how they can pick against Rantanen or McDavid if the Oilers make the playoffs. The award has historically been "the best player on a playoff team" award, the only reason it was funky last year was because McDavid was the best player and missed the playoffs.

I don't think Rantanen (or MacKinnon) will win the Hart regardless of how well they finish the season. They play with eachother, and everyone keeps telling me that they need to be surrounded by bad players to win it.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
So if you think the law of averages are going to be in effect here then Ovi will only get 15 more goals over the last 52 games.... you’ve lost your mind lol.

15 in 52 is less likely than 15 in 20 for Ovi, lol. He heats up end of season usually too.
Ovechkin at his worst had 15 goals in 48 games once. That year he had 2 more goals in the next 4 games making it a career worst 17 goals in any 52 game stretch Ovechkin has played.

So matching his career worst 52 game stretch would give Ovechkin 42 goals in 82 games this season. That's still a pretty nice season total...

Reactions: Voight

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
As said previous. When the votes were cast it was pre playoffs and the Caps were essentially looked upon with the respect of a team that missed the playoffs. They were not a serious team
They cast the votes that early?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Why Dark Horse? Truth is he should've been a finalist last year with how underwhelming the rest of his team performed in the regular season and he's better across the board right now. Last year he led the league in goals and for the better part of the year was the only Cap in the top 20 in points. They still win their division despite Holtby losing his mojo for the better part of 50 games and Ovi drags them to the playoffs where we know what happened.

Ovechkin at this point is underrated in the NHL, he doesn't get enough credit for what he does and what he does isn't touched by anyone in the league.

No, he should not have been.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
No, he should not have been.
He absolutely should have and the way the Caps played they had zero business winning their division last year. Contrast that with a Devils team that squeaks in and a player again leading the league in goals and you have a finalist. A couple yawn worthy secondary assists resulting in more points really don't matter much to me. Kopitar? C'mon.

Again, I don't think he should've won it but Ovechkin was incredible last year and he doesn't' get near enough credit for it.

Reactions: gtrower and Voight

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Would love to see what Crosby Stans say if he wins a 4th Hart, putting him 2nd only to Howe/Gretz ... & ahead of Lemieux. At 33 years old.

:laugh:

Very descriptive wording!

OV?! Dark horse!?

One of last, if not the last in every relevant darkness of horse comparisons. Stans may start stagnate, but laurels will still accumulate upon OV.

Good. Good.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Hardly.

Caps fans tell me that "top line Tom" is the driver of everything good in Washington and the reason they won a cup last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad