Is OV a dark horse for the Hart?

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
39 points in 30 games for a 1.30 PPG. 25 goals in 30 games with 13 in his last 12, on a 12 game point streak. The Capitals have once again returned to the top of the Metro and will most likely take it. 10-2-0 in their last 12 games.

He's having the best season (statistically) since 2010! All the while leading his team to another potential division title.

Is he a dark horse to win his 4th Hart?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He'll be considered, but I don't see how they can pick against Rantanen or McDavid if the Oilers make the playoffs. The award has historically been "the best player on a playoff team" award, the only reason it was funky last year was because McDavid was the best player and missed the playoffs.

Reactions: Homesick

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
I could see a 66+ goal career year Ovy getting a lot of votes. No one else getting to 50 makes that look better. Right this minute the two top scorers on the same team (COL). That doesn't really differentiate each from the other. TBL has two in the top 10 so again, the Crosby/Malkin effect is in place. I still think it'd be a difficult sell though.

I'm just really enjoying how much fun he's obviously having this year.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
I don't want to take anything from Ovi but he is riding unsustainable S%. I personally expect him to regress and I don't think he can win even rocket this year. But if he haves career year I would be happy for him.

Reactions: wetcoast and mrv52

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
I don't want to take anything from Ovi but he is riding unsustainable S%. I personally expect him to regress and I don't think he can win even rocket this year. But if he haves career year I would be happy for him.

What? This is just incorrect, I don't know what else to say.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If you see the trend in the standings with the Capitals approaching the 2nd best record in the league and Ov again leading his team with his play and the new level of perceived leadership, I am not sure that a young points champion on a secondary team takes and MVP away from a legend winning another goal scoring title on a legit cup favorite.

Ov is old news, so its possible. If Ov scores 50 goals AGAIN, I don't know.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
He ought to have received more consideration last year. When Backstrom slumped and Oshie slumped and Holtby was beyond terrible, Ovechkin was chugging along with perfect consistency. He was the biggest factor keeping the team in first place. I suspect if he won the Smythe and then had a season like that, eyes would have opened a bit on what he's been doing.

If he gets 60 goals he ought to be a finalist at least. Ovie is also playing solid defense and making passing plays and of course crushing people when necessary. He's also become an even strength monster (on pace for 49 ES goals - which is pretty nuts). He's also passed up on 3 easy empty net goals in the interest of getting Backstrom and Oshie hatties.

Dude is a gentleman.

I think there are some voters who will not like the idea of Ovechkin getting a 4th Hart while Crosby sits at 2.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
What do you mean? S% x Shotspergame calculated he is on pace for 40 goals. These are just my thougs we will have to wait till end of the year.

If he maintains his current shots per game rate and goes back to shooting his career average coming into this season of 12.5%, he will end up at 50 goals exactly by year's end. Even with increased league-wide scoring this year, I'm not at all convinced that 50 wouldn't be good enough for the Rocket once again.

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
If you see the trend in the standings with the Capitals approaching the 2nd best record in the league and Ov again leading his team with his play and the new level of perceived leadership, I am not sure that a young points champion on a secondary team takes and MVP away from a legend winning another goal scoring title on a legit cup favorite.

Ov is old news, so its possible. If Ov scores 50 goals AGAIN, I don't know.
If Edmonton makes the playoffs it's a storyline that's impossible to ignore seeing that the team being so crappy was the main reason why McDavid didn't win the Hart last year.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
What do you mean? S% x Shotspergame calculated he is on pace for 40 goals. These are just my thougs we will have to wait till end of the year.
So if you think the law of averages are going to be in effect here then Ovi will only get 15 more goals over the last 52 games.... you’ve lost your mind lol.

15 in 52 is less likely than 15 in 20 for Ovi, lol. He heats up end of season usually too.

Reactions: CapsJunkie

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
He's not even close atm. But Crosby ovi malkin are definitely not done in the awards department

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009

The amount of gymnastics you had to go through to get to he's on pace for 40 goals this year is absolutely amazing is what he meant.

It appears you took his career shooting percentage (S%) but this years "shotspergame" and extended it to the entire year and ignored that he's already scored 25. Even if he regressed to his career S% for the rest of this year and kept this years shots per game he'd still score another 25 in the remaining games to reach 50. Hate the guy all you want but at least be honest in your hatred.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If Edmonton makes the playoffs it's a storyline that's impossible to ignore seeing that the team being so crappy was the main reason why McDavid didn't win the Hart last year.

As usual it will come down to specifics. You think that McDavid getting the Art Ross and his team a WC spot out votes Ovechkin with an 8th 50 goal season and Richard Trophy on contender? I wouldn't count on. That.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->