Is OV a dark horse for the Hart?

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
I think rantanen and mackinnon being on the same line will hurt both.

I think the Caps winning the Cup last year will hurt Ovi. Which sucks because he’s leading the Caps through a ridiculous stretch of injuries to their Top 6. But it’s not as apparent because people see the record and think “well yeah, the Cup champs are supposed to have a good record.”

Honestly Ovi deserved to at least be a finalist last year. The Caps might not have even made the playoffs if he had slumped at any point in the he season.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Oh boy. I was waiting for this..... :eyeroll:

It’s the truth, I don’t care if you don’t like it. That is a prime example and he’s been everything a candidate needs to be, leads the league or is in the tops in a ton of important categories and captain of a team in a playoff spot, as well as being on pace for over the amount Mackinnon had last year. He’s been one of the most dominant players in the league this year, Get over it....

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The season isn't over yet but I'd be really surprised if he finished top 10 in Hart voting.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Can you elaborate? Just curious why you think that.

Well he was 9th last year with a pretty good year
1st in goals with 49 others at 44,43,42,42
11th in points

Even when he regresses after this hot streak (he is currently shooting near 21%, 6% more than his best ever season, he will score more than 49 goals.

Right now he is 10th in points with 39, remember in a hot streak, with 9 other players with 37,38 and 39 points.

He could end up with say 60 goals and still be out of the top 10 in points, maybe top 15.

He is again first in goals with 25 followed by 7 other players with at least 20

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
11th in points

Even when he regresses after this hot streak (he is currently shooting near 21%, 6% more than his best ever season, he will score more than 49 goals.

Right now he is 10th in points with 39, remember in a hot streak, with 9 other players with 37,38 and 39 points.

He could end up with say 60 goals and still be out of the top 10 in points, maybe top 15.

That's all wonderful. But Hart voting is not just about points.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Yes. They are regular season awards, they dont want the playoffs influencing voting.

Which it should not
Oh I know that, but the way you phrased your post is as if they didn't win their division or it was before it. How is a playoff team that won their division looked upon as a non playoff team? What am I missing?

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
11th in points

It's absolutely f***ing criminal that Ovechkin finished 9th in MVP voting last year. The voters are clueless.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think the guy on pace for 75 goals this year is slightly more than a "dark horse" for the hart.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Making **** up is fun. Not exactly intelligent conversation but something to fall back on when you're lacking in such areas,I suppose.

The slander in the Tom Wilson quote is in the exaggeration. He was 2nd or 3rd on the team in even strength points in the playoffs. The Caps trailed in all 4 playoff series making all but the last one into a grind.

Its fair to say that the elevation in Wilson's game was the final brick in the wall. I am sure that many Caps posters have said something to that effect.

But to use that as a dig against Ovechkin and Caps fans is ridiculous

Reactions: Drakon

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Sure. He carried the Caps early in the season when the flameout hangover was taking its toll. He performed at a level unusual for the era and unusual for his age. He lead the league in goals.

He was overlooked. He was not taken seriously. We all know that. His team was not taken seriously. At least 75% of the hockey media had them losing in the first round. They thought the 49 goal/Rocket season was a nice trivia quiz answer but not relevant to the season just played.

They wont do that to him again. He proved in the playoffs that his team was not irrelevant. That his near 50 goals was relevant. That his leadership was significant. That his performance was more than a trivia quiz answer.

In retrospect, Ovechkin deserved far more attention for the Hart as John Carlson deserved far more attention for the Norris. I think that if Carlson leads the league in scoring from defense again (and he is tied for that today with games in hand) he will win the Norris. I think if Ovechkin wins another rocket, he gets Hart consideration. If he does something ridiculous like he is doing now, you cant ot give him that award.

Last edited:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Oh I know that, but the way you phrased your post is as if they didn't win their division or it was before it. How is a playoff team that won their division looked upon as a non playoff team? What am I missing?

My first post in the thread was my reply to you. The guy who posted that original comment was Txpd.

I dont think they were looked at poorly, it's more of a same old "low expectation". 'Here comes the division winning caps, watch them get bounced in round 2 again'... you have to remember, the caps have had multiple president trophy winning teams go down in flames, so while people didnt think they were trash there definitely was a bit of disparagement

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Sure. He carried the Caps early in the season when the flameout hangover was taking its toll. He performed at a level unusual for the era and unusual for his age. He lead the league in goals.

He was overlooked. He was not taken seriously. We all know that. His team was not taken seriously. At least 75% of the hockey media had them losing in the first round. They thought the 49 goal/Rocket season was a nice trivia quiz answer but not relevant to the season just played.

They wont do that to him again. He proved in the playoffs that his team was not irrelevant. That his near 50 goals was relevant. That his leadership was significant. That his performance was more than a trivia quiz answer.

In retrospect, Ovechkin deserved far more attention for the Hart as John Carlson deserved far more attention for the Norris. I think that if Carlson leads the league in scoring from defense again (and he is tied for that today with games in hand) he will win the Norris. I think if Ovechkin wins another rocket, he gets Hart consideration. If he does something ridiculous like he is doing now, you cant ot give him that award.

If anything winning the rocket might have hurt him as it does for Norris and Veznia winners.

Also winning the Richard doesn't take away from overall context which encompasses more than just goal scoring for the Hart.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If he scores 60+, leads the league (at age 33,) and the Caps finish at the top of the Metro or East, he's a 1000000% LOCK to win the Hart.

Well no he isnt as he could score 60 and be out of the top 15 in points.

It seems like some people are confusing the Richard and Hart trophies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad